Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by brinky72
What’s your technique exactly for salted ice soaking.

Quarter up a deer, antelope ect. and put it in a big igloo type "cheap" cooler.......yeti coolers......hell no

Add 3 or 4 bags of ice with a pound of salt......soak

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by brinky72
What’s your technique exactly for salted ice soaking.

Quarter up a deer, antelope ect. and put it in a big igloo type "cheap" cooler.......yeti coolers......hell no

Add 3 or 4 bags of ice with a pound of salt......soak

Sounds interesting. I will give it a try next season. I have a 150 qt cooler from when I guided for antelope. HOT weather!! I never used salt, but why not? cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless you plan on hanging a deer and aging it, why would you ever gut it? Almost all my deer are cut up in the ice chest within 1hr of shooting and I never gut them. Elk, moose, caribou, bear, deer, mnt goat, antelope, none of them gutted. About the last thing I want to do is play with guts, then start cutting up meat.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I've put this off long enough, I guess. When I shoot a deer on my own property, which I mostly hunt now, I let the deer lay until I quit hunting for the morning/evening and my hunting partner does. I do not want to mess Him up by piddling around until we are through for the morning/evening. I then go to the house, get the my ATV trailer and go back and get the deer, haul it to the house and hang, gut and wash it using the garden hose. Sometimes skin, sometimes not, depending on the weather. If warm I cut into pieces and put into an old Refrigerator, that I keep for that purpose. I like the meat to stay on the bone except for the back straps and tenderloin, for a few days until I cut it up. I did cut the backbone with the backstraps on in one piece this year to see if I thought it worth while. Sometimes the deer will lay for a couple of hours, in fairly warm weather, with the guts in and you would never know the difference unless I told you. Everybody that has ever eaten meat that I give them, remarks about the quality of it. Even the fairly old bucks. I gave a neighbor a piece of backstrap from a buck that smelled pretty rank before dressing (during the rut). I told Him that it might not be as good as usual because He had already lost some weight, but still fat, from chasing does. A few days later He told me that the meat was very good, and tender. I was kinda surprised on the tender. This was the buck that I left the backstrap on the bone for about a week. I gut for several reasons, one of which is that all of the bones, backbone, ribs, leg bones are frozen to dole out to the dogs throughout the year. I also keep the liver from time to time, after a good looking over. Sometimes to eat, sometimes for catfish bait. I also like to look thought the gut pile at bullet damage. Anyway, it does not make my way right or wrong, but it is my way, and I will continue. At any rate gutting right away does not ensure good meat, but the rest of the handling is as important. Just saying that if you can't gut right away, don't throw the meat away. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
It's too easy not to do. Our processor charges 20 bucks to do it, I guess some folks are too lazy or have too much money. And especially when its busy at the processor, a deer may lay there for hours before it gets tended too. I took a coworker who had been hunting for years, big old guy 6'3, 270...you'd think a mans man....but he wanted no part of gutting the deer he shot with me. I did it for him. Took all of 5 minutes.

Last edited by killerv; 12/12/18.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We gut ours after most of the meat is removed, then soak in salted ice water for a few days. No gamey taste at all. I really don't see why this bothers some, blood quits moving at the moment the heart stops and the only good meat touching the guts are the inner loins(unless you like the ribs, we just take the outer layer of rib meat for grind). Guts will not and can not effect the flavor of the meat in cooler weather pending the animal isn't gut shot.

I don't even gut some of mine for up to an hour or two in cold weather and the inner loins are fantastic every time. I don't even brine the inner loins, they are often just cleaned, refrigerated, and cooked within days and they taste great. My wife will be the first person to point out gamey flavor, she flat doesn't like it, but she never mentions it on the deer I bring in.

If you like gutting them on site, go for it, but don't tell rumors about how it ruins meat right away because it's simply not true.

Have a great day,

loder

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Seriously, how long does it take to get the insides out, 2 minutes

Yep.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"Happiness is a warm gut pile"

Sometimes it's just nice to warm up the hands. grin

Done it both ways . . . it all depends.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Out here in 100 degree heat we gut them right away or in thirty minutes or so they will begin to spoil.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by srwshooter
can't figure this one out. I gut every animal that i'm planning to eat as soon as I get to it. I can't figure why anyone would not do this. I want the blood out of my deer or bear as soon as possible. when I was young the first time I was around hog butchering they shot one,and stuck him right away to drain the blood. if it wasn't for scalding them they would have just gutted them right away.

I have had to look for a few deer that I have shot and finding one 6hrs later then gutting the meat holds a lot more blood.

10 days on ice in a cooler will alleviate that problem. Generally 7-10 days on ice for any deer we shoot anyway. Often we wont' disturb our area after the shot, or we have to wait some before we go to camp to clean the deer. Preferred to clean all at camp, as its easier and cleaner on the deer.

Regardless they get the ice treatment, though this year its stayed in the 50s or less for a week or more twice and I've just let em hang gutted with skin on at home until cutting em.

As far as draining blood from vessels, thats generally what killed the deer to start with before we got close to em.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's too easy not to do. Our processor charges 20 bucks to do it, I guess some folks are too lazy or have too much money.

I am my own processer. miles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had to look for a few deer that I have shot and finding one 6hrs later then gutting the meat holds a lot more blood.

All that proves is that you made a lousy shot. miles

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It seems to be a southern thing and because they have lots warmer weather than we do up here in the north, that seems counter intuitive to me why they wouldn't want to get the animal cooling faster? Any packing house will stun the animals and kill them hanging upside down by cutting the arteries in the neck. Once the hide comes off those animals, they are gutted, washed, cut in half, shrouded and in the cooler all in a matter of minutes. I've always thought that my arrow shot deer tasted better than my rifle shot deer and I've chalked that up to the fact that an arrow kills more from blood loss than bullet shot deer. Anyway, most deer that I shoot are bigger than I am and guts add between 21 and 23% to the weight of the deer and I'm not willing to pull out extra dead weight for something that I'll just need to discard anyway..

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It seems to be a southern thing and because they have lots warmer weather than we do up here in the north, that seems counter intuitive to me why they wouldn't want to get the animal cooling faster?

That is not a bad thing, but it is not necessary to have good meat. There is a limit on how long that you can wait, but it is not as fast as most seem to think.
Any packing house will stun the animals and kill them hanging upside down by cutting the arteries in the neck.

I like to shoot them in the lungs, does the same thing.
Once the hide comes off those animals, they are gutted, washed, cut in half, shrouded and in the cooler all in a matter of minutes.

If I had a big room with a concrete floor and a walk in cooler, rails and hoists, that is how I would do it too.
I've chalked that up to the fact that an arrow kills more from blood loss than bullet shot deer.

Double lung shot will do the same thing.

I'm not willing to pull out extra dead weight for something that I'll just need to discard anyway..

I either pull my ATV trailer right up to the animal, or pull the animal out to where I have the cart, using the ATV.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep Miles, it really is that simple !!

smile

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Around here they get gutted in the woods where they lay. We are not allowed ATV, and no one uses horses, so dragging is the way to get them out. Easier when they are lighter, and they get tangled up less in the laurel when lighter.
I shot a big deer 2 miles from the road last year. I had a new back pack, and I could not find my knife. So I dragged it a mile with the guts in. When I was resting, I found the knife in a back pack compartment, and when those guts were out, it seemed a lot easier. I had a migraine, so it was a miserable drag. I was so pissed that I could not find that knife.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It seems we have gutters and non-gutters!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lockhart
Gutting is an extra $25 at some processors here.

I'd pay someone $25 bucks all day long to gut one for me. And I'd throw another $25 to 'em back at the truck for the drag. laugh

I get it - if I could drive right up to one, I could see not gutting it in the field. Deer pics definitely look better before they are gutted. If I were packing one out, the gutless method makes a lot of sense to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be rich if I got paid to gut other people's animals

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Lockhart
Gutting is an extra $25 at some processors here.

I'd pay someone $25 bucks all day long to gut one for me. And I'd throw another $25 to 'em back at the truck for the drag. laugh

I get it - if I could drive right up to one, I could see not gutting it in the field. Deer pics definitely look better before they are gutted. If I were packing one out, the gutless method makes a lot of sense to me.

I'd gut deer all day long for $25. I know it doesn't take me 5 minutes.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.