Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
can't figure this one out. I gut every animal that i'm planning to eat as soon as I get to it. I can't figure why anyone would not do this. I want the blood out of my deer or bear as soon as possible. when I was young the first time I was around hog butchering they shot one,and stuck him right away to drain the blood. if it wasn't for scalding them they would have just gutted them right away.

I have had to look for a few deer that I have shot and finding one 6hrs later then gutting the meat holds a lot more blood.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with ya.' I was at the butcher shop just Wednesday dropping off a doe I shot when 2 fellas pulled in with a decent buck in the back of the truck - ungutted.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I hang and quarter my deer within 30 minutes of shooting, but I never gut mine unless I fuuck up and gut shoot it. I always gutted mine before a guy showed me it was a waste of time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
I hang and quarter my deer within 30 minutes of shooting, but I never gut mine unless I fuuck up and gut shoot it. I always gutted mine before a guy showed me it was a waste of time.

If you don’t gut a deer, how do you get the tenders?

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, that just doesn't make sense, if for no other reason that the deer's a lot heavier to drag out if it's ungutted. I always gut 'em right where they fall, and as soon as I possibly can. We've got wolves up here, and they wouldn't think twice about getting some easy eats.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
No reason for me to gut a deer. Get it back to skinning rack and take meat off the bone. To get inner loins, let guts sag a bit and get em.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by a12
No reason for me to gut a deer. Get it back to skinning rack and take meat off the bone. To get inner loins, let guts sag a bit and get em.

Bingo.....same for me. I can have one back to the skinning rack within minutes of laying my hands on it so never seen the need to gut one unless it was going to be a very long drag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Firm believer that 3 things are required for truly good (tender and flavorful) venison steaks and roasts:
1. Field dressing asap to start getting the heat and fluids out
2. Clean the cavity out as soon as I can get the deer hung, flushed with hose and sprayed with saline solution
3. Let hang for several days, so long as the temperatures are in lower 30's. If weather is to cold or to warm, off they go to a shop that has cooler that can hang and age for at least 5 days prior to processing.
The tenderloins often get consumed earlier.
Any deer that can't get properly aged is processed into several kinds of sausage.
I put a lot of effort into keeping my venison cleaned of hair, blood, and fat. [u][/u]
The work really starts right after the shot.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The key to quality venison is timely heat removal.
The sooner you can get the carcass cooled, the better and less gamey the meat is going to be. Gutting is the easiest way to remove the most heat from the carcass. The next most important step is to remove the skin.

That gamey taste? Really not much to do with "game". It's really the taste of spoilage.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
a12 said it all. Fug a bunch of gutting unless it’s gut shot.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Curious how blood moves into/out of muscle once the heart stops? I understand blood can diffuse a bit around a wound channel but other than that????? The vessels at the top of the heart are the only connection to muscle tissue within the visceral cavity and again, once there's no blood pressure there isn't much blood moving. Gravity will of course move blood out of the visceral cavity but gravity doesn't move much blood out of actual muscle tissue. If you take a freshly killed game animal, get a pristine (not shot up) rear or front quarter hanging quickly and then lay some cardboard or a bunch of paper towels under it you can leave it for days without much dripping out.

While we're on the subject of "bleeding" game animals, I'm reasonably certain that those who insist on "slitting the throat" of an animal that's already dead are also guilty of eating their own boogers as adults.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I gut mine just to make them lighter

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Tyrone
That gamey taste? Really not much to do with "game". It's really the taste of spoilage.

Or the taste of "Overcooking/Under-Basting".

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I was sitting up on a hill in north Texas years ago. I saw a guy shoot a buck, get out take off his coat, put on some arm length plastic gloves, get his knife out, walk over to deer to gut it. When he got about 10’ from that buck, it jumped up and hauled ass, hopped over on our lease. It ran a couple hundred yards, fell over dead. He looked up when he heard me laughing. I will never forget him standing there like he lost his best friend. I went down there, helped him drag it back to his side of the fence. That was thirty years ago.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I quit gutting deer a few years ago. I hang em, skin em, take the backstrap and debone the hindquarters and some of the shoulder meat. Then we put the meat on ice for a few days, draining off the water occasionally. If it’s a gamey buck, we’ll salt the ice (a tip I got from a lady hog hunter).

The gamey taste isn’t spoilage. It’s in the blood. That’s what a few days on the salt and ice do, is to remove the blood.

Many years ago I spent some time trying to get within range of a big buck who loved eating wild onions. He often fed in a big patch of them. Finally got him. His blood had a strong onion odor. My hands smelled like onions after I cleaned and deboned him and so did the meat when we cooked it. I think 3 or 4 days of the meat in salted ice might have made that meat edible.

The grandson killed a big stinking hog last season. I’d have thrown it away, but he was a starving college kid and wanted the meat. That’s when I first tried the salted ice soak. After a couple of days, the wife cooked a bit of backstrap just to see how it tasted. It was great. Not at all gamey/stinky.

Try it.

Last edited by 603Country; 12/07/18.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Wether gutting of boning out, it important to do I it quickly. I get a kick out of guys that Don t gut their critter for some time.Don't remove the wind pipe, if they do, or gut it and drag it through the dirt for a ways. And oh yes, break the bladder and scatter pee all over, and wonder why their meat doesn't taste good. Almost forgot to mention driving around with it in the truck for 12 hours to show it off. Meat preparation is an art, and it starts when the critter hits the ground. I wouldn't want to eat half the deer i see other people kill either.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by srwshooter
can't figure this one out. I gut every animal that i'm planning to eat as soon as I get to it. I can't figure why anyone would not do this. I want the blood out of my deer or bear as soon as possible. when I was young the first time I was around hog butchering they shot one,and stuck him right away to drain the blood. if it wasn't for scalding them they would have just gutted them right away.

I have had to look for a few deer that I have shot and finding one 6hrs later then gutting the meat holds a lot more blood.

Once you kill an animal and the heart stops beating, you are not going to be getting any more blood out of the animal's muscle tissue. In the hog butchering situation, the old timers (like my Grandpa) would shoot them in the head with a 22 and then stick or cut the throat ASAP like you are describing....attempting to bleed them while the heart was still beating its last few times and they would get blood out that way. When you shoot an animal with a rifle it usually lives for a short time........they either run, or lay on the ground kicking for a few seconds. During that time, they are bleeding out what they are going to bleed. When you gut the deer, you see the result of that but are not enhancing it.

I've seen guys who will go up to a deer they just shot and cut the throat to bleed it. It does not hurt anything but its basically a waste of time.....because the pump is no longer working.

As to your original question, I've answered it probably 3 times before. I don't gut deer in the woods for a couple of reasons:

One, I have access to a lease 30 minutes from my house which is the best hunting situation I have ever been in and probably ever will be. One of the stipulations in the contract is that we are not allowed to leave guts on the property.

Two, during the best part of hunting season here, temps vary from hot to very hot. I killed one early in October at around 7 am and the temp was probably 80 headed for 90. Had I opened it up, every blowfly in the county would have swarmed me and the deer. I don't like that. Since we have to get the deer on ice ASAP, those of us who process our own deer usually do everything at once by taking the deer someplace we can hang it for skinning and butchering......hopefully out of the flies.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fail to understand why some make a big deal out of gutting a deer. It takes less than 5 minutes, with a good knife, and rids the carcass of the stuff that can cause the most problems.
As others have noted, its the single best step to initiate cooling, critically important to making great venison.
The coyotes and crows gotta eat to.
I understand that those who hunt in hot weather might have an entirely different situation than we enjoy here north of the Mason Dixon line. I regard 70+ degree weather as time to go fishing, not hunting.

Last edited by fishdog52; 12/07/18.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Don't know, I can saw the chest cavity open with a folding limb saw I keep in a cargo pocket on my hunting pants and have the guts out of a buck deer in two minutes, have also found out gutpiles DO NOT bother other deer, have seen it firsthand, BOOM, dump the guts and go.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Don't get it either, even if the "drag" involves an atv or other vehicle. The steam that rolls out of the body cavity should tell you all you need to know.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting thread. I always gut asap but I can see in some of your situations that may not be the best way to go. May also depend on what you do with your deer. I treat mine like beef (gut and skin asap, hang for 10 days-2 weeks in a meat locker before butchering) and make most of it into steaks. When I serve it most people would not guess it is venison.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by hanco

Same here. I have been doing it that way for the last forty-five years or so. Only gut them if I'm required to on a draw hunt here in Texas.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 603Country
I quit gutting deer a few years ago. I hang em, skin em, take the backstrap and debone the hindquarters and some of the shoulder meat. Then we put the meat on ice for a few days, draining off the water occasionally. If it’s a gamey buck, we’ll salt the ice (a tip I got from a lady hog hunter).

The gamey taste isn’t spoilage. It’s in the blood.

Yep. We strip them quick, and get the meat in a cooler with ice and salt. Drain it once a day until the water is clear. Sometimes I have left them in coolers for ten days. Never had that gamey taste.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm in the no gut club also. You can get all the good stuff without getting elbow deep in guts. I can see the benefit of gutting if you have to drag them a good ways

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I grew up being taught that you were to gut the deer immediately and I did for over 30 yrs. But...we hunted as a family and if I killed a deer early in the morning, the others might not get through hunting for several more hours so the gut job was warranted. My circumstances have changed. I usually hunt by myself and if I kill a deer at daylight, I'm done. If I have done my job and there is no track job I either drive up to where the deer lays (not this year, been too wet...lol) or go get the 4 wheeler and drag the deer to the vehicle. I'm getting older and have a bad back and bad discs in my neck to pulling and tugging and lifting the deer any longer is over with. So with the 4 wheeler I just drag the deer upon the trailer. Our lease is only 6 or 7 miles from the processor who dresses the deer and cuts and wraps it. So there is no need in my estimation to gut the deer in the field. I shot a young buck yesterday morning at 7 AM and it was at the processor shortly after 7:30 and he immediately started dressing the deer.

I can honestly say that since I have been handling deer this way for the last 8 or 9 years, that there is no difference in the quality of meat that I get from when I gutted the deer immediately. As far as the gamey taste, I believe as mentioned above that the deer's forage has far more to do with that than gutting the deer immediately. The onion deer story above was hilarious to me. I like to use onion seasoning my venison so was wondering if one would still need to season a deer which had been eating onions...lol.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When we hunt the family farms, we gut when we get the deer back to the barn. That means from 20mins to about an hour, depending on which farm. We do not field gut, but keep the meat clean of any ground clutter or foreign matter. Why drag an open wound through the woods? I've never seen any issue with the taste of the meat due to the slight delay. We gut in the barn, and drop it all into a wheelbarrow, and deliver it to the gut pile. It serves double duty, if we set leg hold traps around it.
We've done no gut version, but in general, we prefer to gut it, wash it and hang it a couple days if the temps allow. The only time I ever use a processor, is if I do not have time to do it myself, such as a Sunday evening hunt.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Try not gutting on a moose..... smile

Liver is 30 lbs alone. I take 10.

Last edited by las; 12/08/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

The gamey taste isn’t spoilage. It’s in the blood. That’s what a few days on the salt and ice do, is to remove the blood.

Many years ago I spent some time trying to get within range of a big buck who loved eating wild onions. He often fed in a big patch of them. Finally got him. His blood had a strong onion odor. My hands smelled like onions after I cleaned and deboned him and so did the meat when we cooked it. I think 3 or 4 days of the meat in salted ice might have made that meat edible.

The grandson killed a big stinking hog last season. I’d have thrown it away, but he was a starving college kid and wanted the meat. That’s when I first tried the salted ice soak. After a couple of days, the wife cooked a bit of backstrap just to see how it tasted. It was great. Not at all gamey/stinky.

Try it.

well,to this I say ,bullshit!! blood always leave a animal faster when its warmer. I never soak or ice down a deer. all you do then is bleach the blood out and ask for bacteria to grow.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like to quarter, get meat on ice as soon as possible. It’s always warm in Texas

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I don't gut them where they fall becausd I might want to hunt that stand again. We skin them first usually and cut most of the meat off before we gut them. I only gut them to get to the heart. The tenderloins can be cut out without gutting. I am in the camp that puts my meat in a cooler with salted ice and drained off daily. It does pull most of the blood out of the meat and makes it more tender. I ate deer loin for supper last night and that deer had been on ice for 5 days. It was off a buck that stunk when I walked up to him that was in rut. Full of hormones and he wasn't the least bit gamey.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
All my life my credo was that when the deer hit the ground, the guts were out of it before the second bounce! Now that I am 70, I don't move as fast as I used to. I even let the processor gut a deer last year because of my back. It took me about an hour to get him there.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Heart, liver, kidneys. Best parts. Just say’n.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Try it.

well,to this I say ,bullshit!! blood always leave a animal faster when its warmer. I never soak or ice down a deer. all you do then is bleach the blood out and ask for bacteria to grow.

Bacteria growth happens at temps above 40 degrees. The only way to "ask for bacteria to grow" is to let all the ice melt and the temp inside the cooler reach 40 or above. Meat naturally has a lot of water in its composition. If it was a problem on its own, hanging a deer would not work.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I notice that most of you guys in the "No Gut Club" get it done in a timely manner in spite of not doing it in the woods.

The only gamey deer I've had was one I shot in the morning and didn't recover until the afternoon (about 6 hours until I got it gutted).

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

The gamey taste isn’t spoilage. It’s in the blood.

^

I gut them to cool it off and because the drag out of the woods is often very rugged terrain and not particularly close. dumping some weight is a appreciated. Time to hanging and butcher is usually not within a couple hours either, so gutting is warranted.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RJY66

Bacteria growth happens at temps above 40 degrees. The only way to "ask for bacteria to grow" is to let all the ice melt and the temp inside the cooler reach 40 or above. Meat naturally has a lot of water in its composition. If it was a problem on its own, hanging a deer would not work.

603country IS correct as well as RJY.

All meat hung in a COOLER is NOT frozen. It’s aged above freezing.
I stumbled onto this in the 80s. My family & friends have been aging venison in ice & water or
coolers ever since and none have gotten sick.

I also was able to demonstrate this to 2 diff deer leases and they changed from freezing to
aging.

srw - 603country said “try it”. I ask have you ever tried it?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tyrone
The key to quality venison is timely heat removal.
The sooner you can get the carcass cooled, the better and less gamey the meat is going to be. Gutting is the easiest way to remove the most heat from the carcass. The next most important step is to remove the skin.

This. I can't imagine not gutting a deer.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

As to your original question, I've answered it probably 3 times before. I don't gut deer in the woods for a couple of reasons:

One, I have access to a lease 30 minutes from my house which is the best hunting situation I have ever been in and probably ever will be. One of the stipulations in the contract is that we are not allowed to leave guts on the property.

Two, during the best part of hunting season here, temps vary from hot to very hot. I killed one early in October at around 7 am and the temp was probably 80 headed for 90. Had I opened it up, every blowfly in the county would have swarmed me and the deer. I don't like that. Since we have to get the deer on ice ASAP, those of us who process our own deer usually do everything at once by taking the deer someplace we can hang it for skinning and butchering......hopefully out of the flies.

Interesting. When I gut a deer it is usually about 20 to 30 degrees. The gut pile is usually gone by the next morning. Different locations call for different answers to the same problems.

Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Fail to understand why some make a big deal out of gutting a deer. It takes less than 5 minutes, with a good knife, and rids the carcass of the stuff that can cause the most problems.
As others have noted, its the single best step to initiate cooling, critically important to making great venison.
The coyotes and crows gotta eat to.
I understand that those who hunt in hot weather might have an entirely different situation than we enjoy here north of the Mason Dixon line. I regard 70+ degree weather as time to go fishing, not hunting.

This.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm one of those fellow who doesn't gut right away most of the time. I'll attempt to explain.

First off, let me give you some background. We've got 200 acres in the Trans-Bluegrass of Kentucky. I'm about 10 mi south of the Ohio River. Rifle season starts the second weekend in November and runs to about Thanksgiving. Average temps on The Opener are a low of 35 and a high in the low 50's.

The main goal in our case is How fast can we get the deer to the processor? The problems are:

1) The nearest processor is a 1/2 hour away.
2) Historically the processor filled up before Noon and refused carcasses after a certain point.
3) The availability of alternative processors-- I've ridden around the county for hours trying to get a deer taken in.
4) The idea of a 300lb live weight buck is not out of the question, nor a 170 lb+ doe.

The timing is not such a problem anymore in the mornings. However, we have a fairly stiff 8PM cutoff for dropping off deer in the evenings.

The key here is speed. If we can get a deer back to camp in an hour after the shot, we hold off gutting until they're out of the field. That is normally the case. Rather than gut in place, we'll call for somebody to come out with the truck. We have a dedicated deer wagon, an old S-10. It has a winch on it so we can even drag a carcass out of the ravine, and block and tackle and ramps to get deer into the back. I have it set up so that one guy can get any sized deer into the back without assistance. Once they're in the back of the deer wagon, we can run them back to the meat pole, run them up and clean them out in a few minutes.

Spoilage? Given our normal operating temps, and the speed in which we retrieve the carcass, spoilage is just a non-issue. A deer taken before 10 AM is at the processor well before Noon. A deer taken before 6PM is there around 7-7:15 PM.

We also are not tied to the process. If a deer runs down into a nearby ravine, and it's going to be a chore getting them out, the first thing we'll do is gut. That happens about once every 3 years or so. Ditto for delayed retrievals. Once in a while it takes us a while to find a deer-- maybe an extra hour or so. In that case, the guts are coming out right away, no matter what the temp.

We hang head-up. We tie have a short length of chain that slips around the neck that attaches to the block and tackle. For gutting, it's ideal. Gravity pulls most of everthing out with very little assistance.

BTW: I learned all this from a hunter from Alabama who was living in Kentucky and on whose farm I bagged my first deer. He was used to much warmer temps and would hoist a deer, head-up, on the nearest tree and gut him.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I was always taught to gut it as soon as you are able. We were not allowed to have 4 wheelers in the woods so we had to drag them out. When we were back at camp we would hang the deer to cool it and drain it,if the temperature allowed. The old days of driving down the highway home with a nice deer on the roof rack.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Wow. Your deer meat to taste better than mine?
Hard to believe.
I shoot the majority of my deer in the neck and have them hanging in a walk in in less than 1-2 hours.
So the time your spending gutting the deer is spent better than mine getting it hung and skinned?
What exactly is it about removing the guts that causes the muscles to release blood in them?
I'm not understanding the mechanics.
Since a muscle needs a working heart to pump blood into it, I'd think that your concept is flawed.
Animals are not jugs of milk. Your not going to drain blood by opening the abdominal cavilty from any muscle.

Gamey, as I definitely it in taste, is from 2 things.... adrenaline in the blood from deer that was hit and pushed before death and handling meat after touching hide.
Deer have oild in the hair and handling meat after touching certain areas of the hide can transfer those oils to the meat.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Shaman,

Do the deer processors up there not gut them for you or is it an extra cost or something?

I ask because here they do. Guys just load up their deer as it fell and take it to the processor. The one my friends use is about 30 minutes away and they have no issues with spoilage or bad meat in our warm temps. As cool as it is where you are, I can't see you having any issues and the time you spend hanging and gutting could be used to transport the deer and get there before the processors fill up.

Not saying you are wrong or anything, just asking??

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The no gut club seem to live in Texas, like involving lots of golf carts, feeders and stands.

This thread is another fine example of the how strong provincialism is on the 'Fire.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
it's warm in Florida during hunting season. Many a deer has been taken while wearing a short sleeve shirt. We gut the deer where it falls. I want to cook down that carcass. I pull out the tenderloins and put them in a zip lock bag.
The deer is skinned and butchered as soon as possible. I have never sent an animal to a processor. We put the meat in a cooler, tilt it for drainage, and ice down for at least a week. Meat is always tender and flavorful.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SE Alabama is the only place I have lived, where not gutting is the norm.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

G
G
Just lazy is all I can guess.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Both deer and elk, I use the no gut method as prescribed by the CPW because of CWD prevalence. A lot nice than wading thru guts and blood.Slitting the throat of a downed animal only works to bleed out IF the heart is still pumping.

A double lung or heart shot elk or deer will have most of the blood inside the body cavity with very little in the meat

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by thardy

I agree.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ringworm

Gamey, as I definitely it in taste, is from 2 things.... adrenaline in the blood from deer that was hit and pushed before death and handling meat after touching hide.

I think those are two good reasons. But, hell, I don't even know exactly what "gamey" means other than an "off" flavor.
I'd add to those reasons 1) a bad flavor-inducing diet, like the onions. 2) gut shot on a scale from simply having the stomach broken to having the intestines broken to having the bladder punctured and 3) spoiled meat from being too warm for too long for whatever reason.

I don't think blood in the meat has much to do with it, at least not in my neck of the woods. The deer I shoot are agriculturally fed or eat acorns so they are pretty sweet. As it is, the deer lose so much blood from a lung shot, I don't think more is necessary. At least not for the deer I shoot.
You guys bleeding them on ice, I wonder how much the flavor is improved just from aging.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by thardy

Liver is too dark for my taste.

?Kidneys? No thank you.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Why the heck do people mess with guts these days? No need to touch them in any situation....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by gunner500
Don't know, I can saw the chest cavity open with a folding limb saw I keep in a cargo pocket on my hunting pants and have the guts out of a buck deer in two minutes, have also found out gutpiles DO NOT bother other deer, have seen it firsthand, BOOM, dump the guts and go.

I set up in a brush blind close to a water tank hunting cow elk. About mid-day about 12 elk cows come trotting in. One is nice yearling, so I drop her with a single shot to the base of the neck. The other cows milled around a little bit then wander over to the tree line and bed down, all less than 100 yds from where the dead elk lays and me sitting in the blind. My hunting buddy who was hunting just over a hill from me heard the shot and comes over to see if I shot anything. Once in sight of the blind he calls out and asked if I shot anything. Of course this spooks all the cows bedded down around me and there are elk going every which way which spooked my buddy and he doesn't get a decent shot. We gutted my elk and drag her to the road and got her out to camp. Next day, my buddy is back in my blind and just about mid-day the cows come back in and he shoots one. Gunshots, blood, guts, dead elk, didn't bother them at all.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Gutting is an extra $25 at some processors here.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
In SC where I do all my deer hunting.

Last edited by Lockhart; 12/09/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have very bad balance issues. Kneeling over a deer makes me wobbly so I gut the deer on the tailgate of my truck so I can do the job standing. I only live 10 or 15 minutes from the places I hunt so my friends help me get the deer in the truck and assist me dragging if necessary.

I back up next to my gambrel, put a wheelbarrow under the tailgate to catch the entrails. I've been doing it this way since I acquired the balance issue over a decade ago.

Dan

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shoot ‘em
Gut ‘em
Hang ‘em
Skin ‘em
Bag ‘em
A week or so later, cut ‘em up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Even elk, when you can get them out whole

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Lockhart

Here, gutting is included in the price of skinning which I think this year is 20 or 25, but it is not extra.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I had a scientist (and also a member here) explain to me that an animal's intestines will cease to fully contain fecal material at around 45 minutes after death. Accordingly, I prefer them to be out of the body cavity by then.

Just another perspective.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shaman,

Do the deer processors up there not gut them for you or is it an extra cost or something?

I ask because here they do. Guys just load up their deer as it fell and take it to the processor. The one my friends use is about 30 minutes away and they have no issues with spoilage or bad meat in our warm temps. As cool as it is where you are, I can't see you having any issues and the time you spend hanging and gutting could be used to transport the deer and get there before the processors fill up.

Not saying you are wrong or anything, just asking??

It used to be no one would take a deer that wasn't gutted. Now a few of them will do it and charge you, but it's expensive. The thing I would worry about is how long after drop-off does the deer get gutted? The processor can get backed up with the carcasses stacked like cordwood.

For us, I figure gutting adds maybe 30 minutes to the process. Also, we usually take our pictures at this point.

I will also say that getting closed out at the processor has become largely a thing of the past. The overall volume has gone down as well as more processors have opened up. Our chief worry is in the evening. Sundown is at 1730 or thereabouts. The processor closes at 2000. I've had one instance in 10 years where I had a big buck down and I was hunting alone, I gutted it in place and then wrestled it into the back of the truck. I got to the processor just after he locked up. It was a warm evening. I had to go home, winch the deer into the freezer and then winch it back out in the AM. That was before I started improving the process.

Last year, we shot two within 15 minutes of each other right at sundown. I was already tagged out and sitting back at camp. I had the deer wagon rolling towards the first when the second went down. Spit-spot, two pickups, two hunters, two deer, and we were back home sipping scotch a half hour before the processor closed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
I had a scientist (and also a member here) explain to me that an animal's intestines will cease to fully contain fecal material at around 45 minutes after death. Accordingly, I prefer them to be out of the body cavity by then.

Just another perspective.

FC

There is probably truth there. All I can say is that most fellows report that 2-3 hours is a safe window for normal fall conditions, say under 55F. Of course, nothing we do is going to be passing USDA inspection, and nobody should eat the stuff without proper cooking.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Have never seen or heard of this phenomenon here in PA....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Laziness or dont know how.
Hahaha.
Takes a few minutes and the deer weighs less for the drag out.
Silliness...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by GregW
Why the heck do people mess with guts these days? No need to touch them in any situation....

I ain't hanging a deer for a week with the guts in.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

if you want to hang them for awhile…….do you leave the guts in?...….bob

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I think GregW is using the gutless method out west, in that situation I totally agree.
Out east where we bring the deer out while I cannot agree with his statement of “any situation”

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Tom264
I think GregW is using the gutless method out west, in that situation I totally agree.
Out east where we bring the deer out while I cannot agree with his statement of “any situation”

lots of people out west bring them out whole...…..I am with SH......not going to hang anything with guts in...….bob

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
We never gutted them in the field. Mainly because we hunted with in 1-3 miles of home. Loaded them up, hung them up and gutted them. We had water available too, to wash up and flush the cavity. Besides who wants to gut a deer in negative degree weather, when you don't have not.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by BobMt

lots of people out west bring them out whole...…..I am with SH......not going to hang anything with guts in...….bob

Out west where you could be miles from any road and packing in and out there is absolutely no reason to bring out anything whole...1/4 it up and through it in your backpack and hike out.

Pretty easy to tell who has hunted out west and who hasn’t.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gutting or not gutting , field dressing or not field dressing depends on your hunting situation, geography, timing, temps , method of removal from the woods and facility's. There is no one right way. Only the best way for the situation. This is not directed at anyone on this threadbut I I notice some on the Fire fail to see the sense in some things as they fail to take into consideration that hunters find themselves in many different situations.

I for one go one two very different hunts with in two weeks of each other. One hunt you can drive right up and snatch your deer with an atv and have it back to camp in 15 minutes the other is walk in on National forest and your draggin your deer by hand back to the truck over hill and dale where it lays
In a trailer for four days until its transported back to a cooler and a barn where its processed. Temps matter in both cases as to how a deer is handled after the shot.

We all seem to agree that the deer needs to be cooled down with in a reasonable time.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BobMt

Out west where you could be miles from any road and packing in and out there is absolutely no reason to bring out anything whole...1/4 it up and through it in your backpack and hike out.

Pretty easy to tell who has hunted out west and who hasn’t.

tom …….bobmt…...bob is my name.....mt stands for montana…...have only hunted out west......az..born there.....wy...lived there....nv...lived there....ak...hunted there.....mt...going on 29 years.

I have packed out.... and loaded them up....just shot late season cow elk.....b tag.....Friday, on my little 20 acres, out my back door...its hanging now....no guts...…….I have to throw this out there....like you did....pretty easy to tell who has hunted out west and who hasn't......have a good one...…..bob

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Did you backpack them out or drive them out on a side by side/quad?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We usually gut our deer within an hour of shooting. This past season opening afternoon, i shot a nice wide, white tined 8 pointer at 320 PM and Hope was still out there hunting on the front part of the property. Because she has started sometimes using the trophy pics on our Christmas cards we send out, she doesn't like them to be gutted before she can get the pics taken. So I waited until she got back to our cabin and we got some pics taken and it was a little past 6 PM before we started gutting the deer. It was fairly cold that day here in Mid-MO, probably mid 30s, but I was starting to get a little nervous. I hung him up afterwards and we skinned him out on Monday along with a dandy 10 pointer Hope took Sunday morning. We've only eaten the tenderloins so far on these guys, but they were fabulous as always, So there doesn't appear to have been any detrimental impact from the delay. Might start hanging them up by the head'/neck to field dress them, looks like it could be easier and less messy.

[Linked Image]

Hope's 10 pointer,.

[Linked Image]

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Today's suburban hunter finds such a behavior distasteful.

And I find it a bit unethical.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 12/10/18.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Always like shooting one where I can gut it out in about 3 minutes and then toss it in the truck whole. If I can do that, I can hang it for a few days if weather permits. Lot of the time that is not possible so you gutless method it and roll. I do think a lot of wusses who are used to unwrapping shrinkwrapped chicken breasts, would struggle to gut an animal. Kind of pathetic really.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Gutting or not gutting , field dressing or not field dressing depends on your hunting situation, geography, timing, temps , method of removal from the woods and facility's. There is no one right way. Only the best way for the situation. This is not directed at anyone on this threadbut I I notice some on the Fire fail to see the sense in some things as they fail to take into consideration that hunters find themselves in many different situations.

Totally agreed. And you just described the provincial thread originator to a tee. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Did you backpack them out or drive them out on a side by side/quad?

tom......as I said in my post.....I have packed out( on my back) and loaded up whole.....no guts, by atv….trucks... and quartered up with horses.

I have packed ….on my back....quartered and have boned them out...…….I am actually agreeing with you when you said.....that you don't agree with the statement of....any situation.....bob

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I prefer not to have to trim so much red crust so I do prefer to gut a critter if it can be brought out whole.

If it is even mildly difficult to get out in one piece then I fully agree-no reason at all to gut unless some weird state has regulations requiring animals get brought out whole.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I just always shoot my stuff miles from a road. Getting it out whole is not an option.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Always have field dressed them where they fell or close by, no need to be dragging extra weight, having innards contents in contact with the meat and finally field dressing allows more rapid cooling of the meat. Never saw any reason to do differently, it has been working for me for 56 yrs. now.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Different strokes for different folks. Everybody's situation is different.

In my case, I generally have anywhere from a 100 to 400 yard drag. I ain't dragging out an extra 50 pounds of schit, then loading a deer that weighs an extra needless 50 pounds onto the truck by myself, then creating an extra 50 pounds of crap to get rid of. Screw that, I can gut the thing in about 5 minutes and leave it in the woods for the other critters to get rid of.

The first time I ever heard of gutting later was when a buddy of mine moved down to the Eastern Shore of Delaware about 25 years ago. The first deer season he was there, he called me up to tell me about the crazy schit those guys do down there. He couldn't believe it. He told me how they drag them out without gutting, take them home and hang them. Then they gut them over a bucket and throw it away somewhere.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Today's suburban hunter finds such a behavior distasteful.

And I find it a bit unethical.

Why? It's gone the next morning.

My parents used to live in a suburban setting with houses on 2 to 10 acre lots and you could only bow hunt there. They were over run with deer. My mother didn't want me to hunt there, but my father and some of the neighbors wanted me to try to thin them out, so she agreed. My father told me I could hunt as long as I didn't leave gut piles everywhere. So I go out and shoot a doe one Saturday evening right at dark. I gut the deer and drag it out and load it in the truck. My father asks, "What did you do with the guts?" I told him I left them out there and I'll be back in the morning to clean them up. I did this to prove a point. I came back the next morning with a trash bag and we walked down there. We walked up on a spot where there was a few bloody leaves and I said, "there's my gut pile". He was amazed that you couldn't even tell that anything had happened there. He never worried about the gut piles after that.

Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by bludog
We usually gut our deer within an hour of shooting. This past season opening afternoon, i shot a nice wide, white tined 8 pointer at 320 PM and Hope was still out there hunting on the front part of the property. Because she has started sometimes using the trophy pics on our Christmas cards we send out, she doesn't like them to be gutted before she can get the pics taken. So I waited until she got back to our cabin and we got some pics taken and it was a little past 6 PM before we started gutting the deer. It was fairly cold that day here in Mid-MO, probably mid 30s, but I was starting to get a little nervous. I hung him up afterwards and we skinned him out on Monday along with a dandy 10 pointer Hope took Sunday morning. We've only eaten the tenderloins so far on these guys, but they were fabulous as always, So there doesn't appear to have been any detrimental impact from the delay. Might start hanging them up by the head'/neck to field dress them, looks like it could be easier and less messy.

[Linked Image]

Hope's 10 pointer,.

[Linked Image]

Beautiful bucks, congratulations.

Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
The first time I ever heard of gutting later was when a buddy of mine moved down to the Eastern Shore of Delaware about 25 years ago. The first deer season he was there, he called me up to tell me about the crazy schit those guys do down there. He couldn't believe it. He told me how they drag them out without gutting, take them home and hang them. Then they gut them over a bucket and throw it away somewhere.

Because of sand?

I could imagine that ruining a lot of meat!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by remington
Originally Posted by a12

Bingo.....same for me. I can have one back to the skinning rack within minutes of laying my hands on it so never seen the need to gut one unless it was going to be a very long drag.

Yep, agreed. Working around or wallowing in guts is asinine. I gutted deer asap when I was a kid, now? I get the animal hung and skinned and then I drop the guts intact onto a tarp. I lower the animal with my lift to keep that process easy and splatter-free.

Would never do it any other way these days. Meat is as good as it has always been.

And for butchering 'in the field' on mountain hunts, the LAST thing addressed other than the loins is the innards. "Gutless' is the only way to go.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by viking
We never gutted them in the field. Mainly because we hunted with in 1-3 miles of home. Loaded them up, hung them up and gutted them. We had water available too, to wash up and flush the cavity. Besides who wants to gut a deer in negative degree weather, when you don't have not.

Up here, it's the only way to warm your hands !

wink

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by viking

Up here, it's the only way to warm your hands !

wink

grin

Since it takes about 3-5 if you work slowly I'm not sure what the big deal is. But most of the time I'm with family and on the hunt for days at a time so we just get back and hang it.

I can gut one a lot faster than I can 1/4 one. But now that the laws in MN/WI have changed, I'd not hesitate to 1/4 one and pack it out instead of haul it, if necessary.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I think most hunters do something for the right reasons or because it suits their hunting methods. Gutting a deer to hang it or going gutless, skinning it or not, etc.

Some hunters though, do things because they were shown by someone who didn't know any better. I've had guys give me a call to go help them gut a deer because they had no clue how to do it. I've seen deer half gutted, nothing cut above the diaphragm, with the pooper still in, etc.

One thing I do not understand is guys who slit a deer's throat when it's been hit in the boiler room. It does absolutely nothing, the heart has stopped beating and if it's been lung/heart shot, almost all of the blood is in the chest cavity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For guys whose backs or legs hurt when gutting on the ground you might want to try what I do as more often than not I am alone in the woods. .

I keep a sheet of plywood in the bed of the truck and pull it out to make a ramp. Tie a rope around the deer head and run the end of the rope through one of the front cleats near the cabin. Grab the deer , or rope near the deer, and pull the deer up onto the plywood - doesn't have to be all the way, using the tension on the rope to keep the deer in place. Cinch the rope on the cleat and the deer will now be secured on the "ramp". You have a lot of leverage and it is easy. It is then very easy to then pick up the plywood with the deer laying on it and slide it forward into the tailgate.

To gut it, turn the deer sideways and tie up the up side legs to the upper cleats in the rear if you have them. This keeps the belly exposed, easily accessible without bending, and the deer from flopping like it does when on the ground or not secured. Finish gutting and let everything slip right off the tarp on to the ground. You can then throw a bag of ice into the deer chest cavity if inclined, wrap the tarp and drive off to the processor.

MUCH MUCH easier on the back and legs.

A rare trick I got to teach my dad.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have gutted smaller deer and antelope after dragging them to the pickup because it keeps dirt, leaves and grass from getting in the body cavity. The tenderloins and inside of the rib meat are nice and clean if you wait to gut till you're either in camp or at least until you get the critter to where it won't be drug through the weeds anymore. If the cost/benefit of dragging a lighter carcass trumps keeping things clean, then go for it-gut it where you find it. If the drag is easy and involves gravity and/or snow, I will wait to gut.

9 out of 10 of my critters get quartered gutless and come out in my backpack though, so I rarely do gut anything anymore but this is one reason to wait. I know other people like to gut stuff in a spot where they can watch for coyotes or whatever else, so there's another reason. I have had ranchers ask me to gut antelope in their hay pasture near their house to shoot coyotes off of the pile.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, provincialism is just as strong on the Fire today as ever.

Trying to remove all the flank and rib meat whilst the guts or in the deer is fugger. It takes me more time to dig out my knife, roll up my sleeves and put on a pair of rubber gloves than it does to gut a deer.

Seriously, how long does it take to get the insides out, 2 minutes

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What’s your technique exactly for salted ice soaking.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123

Totally agreed. And you just described the provincial thread originator to a tee. smile

I’ve done both and you’re correct. It all depends on the situation. I’ve packed meat out in a pack and never touched the guts. Reason was where I happened to be hunting I didn’t have access to a machine to haul him out or a place to hang it for easy butchering. I cut the hide down the top middle of the back and peeled each side open. Took the backstrapes out shoulders off,deboned the hind quarters and slipped in each side for the tenders. Cut the neck and head off and in two trips had everything. I divided it up evenly and strung half up in a heavy duty laundry bag I pack so the yotes and wolves didn’t get it and packed out. If I can’t hang it this is what I do. If I’m hanging it I gut it immediately, hang it up and pull the hide off when it’s still warm.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
What’s a “processor?”

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I always used to gut right after killing. Anymore though if a deer looks heavy enough that I know I'm going to have to leave it alone for a while to go get my vehicle and/or help to drag it out I don't gut.

My reasoning is with the increase in the coyote population around my area nowadays I don't want to leave any unnecessary blood and gut scent that could attract a pack of coyotes looking for a quick easy meal from a already cut open carcass while I'm gone.

As always, YMMV.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Firm believer that 3 things are required for truly good (tender and flavorful) venison steaks and roasts:
1. Field dressing asap to start getting the heat and fluids out
2. Clean the cavity out as soon as I can get the deer hung, flushed with hose and sprayed with saline solution
3. Let hang for several days, so long as the temperatures are in lower 30's. If weather is to cold or to warm, off they go to a shop that has cooler that can hang and age for at least 5 days prior to processing.
The tenderloins often get consumed earlier.
Any deer that can't get properly aged is processed into several kinds of sausage.
I put a lot of effort into keeping my venison cleaned of hair, blood, and fat. [u][/u]
The work really starts right after the shot.

Spot On

Also, where we get our deer usually involves a long drag to get to a road or trail. We get one tag about every other year and don't waste meat by being lazy. Every scrap gets used and is taken care of. The liver and heart are some of my favorite parts of the deer...liver, bacon, and onions...heart trimmed out inside, stuffed, roasted, cooled in the refer overnight and sliced thin for cold cuts.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In South Carolina, it is normally hot on deer opener of August 15. 90-100 degrees... We don't field dress a deer because of flies - plus, we can normally drive the truck or four wheeler to them and pick them up and take them to be cleaned in a place that has something to hang and running water.

Also, we always put the quartered deer in a cooler full of ice for a few days with the drain plug removed. Makes the meat better tasting and drains blood.

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 12/11/18.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Hot most of the time in Texas too! I never gut deer at all.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by joken2

I always used to gut right after killing. Anymore though if a deer looks heavy enough that I know I'm going to have to leave it alone for a while to go get my vehicle and/or help to drag it out I don't gut.

My reasoning is with the increase in the coyote population around my area nowadays I don't want to leave any unnecessary blood and gut scent that could attract a pack of coyotes looking for a quick easy meal from a already cut open carcass while I'm gone.

As always, YMMV.

There is a way around this, gut the deer, drag it about 15-20 yds away, cover it with your jacket and get your help.
If the coyotes do come the will always hit the guts first and with your jacket over the deer they have never bothered it here.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
One place I hunt asks that all weights be recorded before gutting. Not to bad in this case because they have a nice skinning shed, etc. Most of the drags out are down the mountain to a road/atv trail....the few times I've had to drag uphill there I gutted and just explained that to them...and they noted it on their records.

State laws have made it against the law to bring deer with bone in from out of state....even though the area I hunt in the next state is on the state line and the deer likely spend as much time in one state as the other. I've started going "gutless" here. I drag the deer down the mountain to a trail I can bring a truck to, pull them up on the tailgate, open the cooler, and take the meat. First one I did was a learning experience but it's a pretty efficient method....and it keeps me legal! ...guttting in this case would just be extra work.

Most of my drags are down the mountain, better to walk up on the way in and drag down on the way out. Weight is still weight dragging down the mountain so gutting makes it lighter but a lot of leaves/dirt/etc can end up in the chest cavity so leaving the guts in can keep things cleaner.

Those are the main reasons I don't gut deer right away, at least in those locations. I've not noticed any problem or difference with the meat compared to other locations where I gut immediately, and my family eats A LOT of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by brinky72

Quarter up a deer, antelope ect. and put it in a big igloo type "cheap" cooler.......yeti coolers......hell no

Add 3 or 4 bags of ice with a pound of salt......soak

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by brinky72

Quarter up a deer, antelope ect. and put it in a big igloo type "cheap" cooler.......yeti coolers......hell no

Add 3 or 4 bags of ice with a pound of salt......soak

Sounds interesting. I will give it a try next season. I have a 150 qt cooler from when I guided for antelope. HOT weather!! I never used salt, but why not? cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Unless you plan on hanging a deer and aging it, why would you ever gut it? Almost all my deer are cut up in the ice chest within 1hr of shooting and I never gut them. Elk, moose, caribou, bear, deer, mnt goat, antelope, none of them gutted. About the last thing I want to do is play with guts, then start cutting up meat.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I've put this off long enough, I guess. When I shoot a deer on my own property, which I mostly hunt now, I let the deer lay until I quit hunting for the morning/evening and my hunting partner does. I do not want to mess Him up by piddling around until we are through for the morning/evening. I then go to the house, get the my ATV trailer and go back and get the deer, haul it to the house and hang, gut and wash it using the garden hose. Sometimes skin, sometimes not, depending on the weather. If warm I cut into pieces and put into an old Refrigerator, that I keep for that purpose. I like the meat to stay on the bone except for the back straps and tenderloin, for a few days until I cut it up. I did cut the backbone with the backstraps on in one piece this year to see if I thought it worth while. Sometimes the deer will lay for a couple of hours, in fairly warm weather, with the guts in and you would never know the difference unless I told you. Everybody that has ever eaten meat that I give them, remarks about the quality of it. Even the fairly old bucks. I gave a neighbor a piece of backstrap from a buck that smelled pretty rank before dressing (during the rut). I told Him that it might not be as good as usual because He had already lost some weight, but still fat, from chasing does. A few days later He told me that the meat was very good, and tender. I was kinda surprised on the tender. This was the buck that I left the backstrap on the bone for about a week. I gut for several reasons, one of which is that all of the bones, backbone, ribs, leg bones are frozen to dole out to the dogs throughout the year. I also keep the liver from time to time, after a good looking over. Sometimes to eat, sometimes for catfish bait. I also like to look thought the gut pile at bullet damage. Anyway, it does not make my way right or wrong, but it is my way, and I will continue. At any rate gutting right away does not ensure good meat, but the rest of the handling is as important. Just saying that if you can't gut right away, don't throw the meat away. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
It's too easy not to do. Our processor charges 20 bucks to do it, I guess some folks are too lazy or have too much money. And especially when its busy at the processor, a deer may lay there for hours before it gets tended too. I took a coworker who had been hunting for years, big old guy 6'3, 270...you'd think a mans man....but he wanted no part of gutting the deer he shot with me. I did it for him. Took all of 5 minutes.

Last edited by killerv; 12/12/18.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We gut ours after most of the meat is removed, then soak in salted ice water for a few days. No gamey taste at all. I really don't see why this bothers some, blood quits moving at the moment the heart stops and the only good meat touching the guts are the inner loins(unless you like the ribs, we just take the outer layer of rib meat for grind). Guts will not and can not effect the flavor of the meat in cooler weather pending the animal isn't gut shot.

I don't even gut some of mine for up to an hour or two in cold weather and the inner loins are fantastic every time. I don't even brine the inner loins, they are often just cleaned, refrigerated, and cooked within days and they taste great. My wife will be the first person to point out gamey flavor, she flat doesn't like it, but she never mentions it on the deer I bring in.

If you like gutting them on site, go for it, but don't tell rumors about how it ruins meat right away because it's simply not true.

Have a great day,

loder

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Seriously, how long does it take to get the insides out, 2 minutes

Yep.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"Happiness is a warm gut pile"

Sometimes it's just nice to warm up the hands. grin

Done it both ways . . . it all depends.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Out here in 100 degree heat we gut them right away or in thirty minutes or so they will begin to spoil.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

10 days on ice in a cooler will alleviate that problem. Generally 7-10 days on ice for any deer we shoot anyway. Often we wont' disturb our area after the shot, or we have to wait some before we go to camp to clean the deer. Preferred to clean all at camp, as its easier and cleaner on the deer.

Regardless they get the ice treatment, though this year its stayed in the 50s or less for a week or more twice and I've just let em hang gutted with skin on at home until cutting em.

As far as draining blood from vessels, thats generally what killed the deer to start with before we got close to em.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's too easy not to do. Our processor charges 20 bucks to do it, I guess some folks are too lazy or have too much money.

I am my own processer. miles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

All that proves is that you made a lousy shot. miles

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It seems to be a southern thing and because they have lots warmer weather than we do up here in the north, that seems counter intuitive to me why they wouldn't want to get the animal cooling faster? Any packing house will stun the animals and kill them hanging upside down by cutting the arteries in the neck. Once the hide comes off those animals, they are gutted, washed, cut in half, shrouded and in the cooler all in a matter of minutes. I've always thought that my arrow shot deer tasted better than my rifle shot deer and I've chalked that up to the fact that an arrow kills more from blood loss than bullet shot deer. Anyway, most deer that I shoot are bigger than I am and guts add between 21 and 23% to the weight of the deer and I'm not willing to pull out extra dead weight for something that I'll just need to discard anyway..

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It seems to be a southern thing and because they have lots warmer weather than we do up here in the north, that seems counter intuitive to me why they wouldn't want to get the animal cooling faster?

That is not a bad thing, but it is not necessary to have good meat. There is a limit on how long that you can wait, but it is not as fast as most seem to think.
Any packing house will stun the animals and kill them hanging upside down by cutting the arteries in the neck.

I like to shoot them in the lungs, does the same thing.
Once the hide comes off those animals, they are gutted, washed, cut in half, shrouded and in the cooler all in a matter of minutes.

If I had a big room with a concrete floor and a walk in cooler, rails and hoists, that is how I would do it too.
I've chalked that up to the fact that an arrow kills more from blood loss than bullet shot deer.

Double lung shot will do the same thing.

I'm not willing to pull out extra dead weight for something that I'll just need to discard anyway..

I either pull my ATV trailer right up to the animal, or pull the animal out to where I have the cart, using the ATV.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep Miles, it really is that simple !!

smile

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Around here they get gutted in the woods where they lay. We are not allowed ATV, and no one uses horses, so dragging is the way to get them out. Easier when they are lighter, and they get tangled up less in the laurel when lighter.
I shot a big deer 2 miles from the road last year. I had a new back pack, and I could not find my knife. So I dragged it a mile with the guts in. When I was resting, I found the knife in a back pack compartment, and when those guts were out, it seemed a lot easier. I had a migraine, so it was a miserable drag. I was so pissed that I could not find that knife.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It seems we have gutters and non-gutters!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'd pay someone $25 bucks all day long to gut one for me. And I'd throw another $25 to 'em back at the truck for the drag. laugh

I get it - if I could drive right up to one, I could see not gutting it in the field. Deer pics definitely look better before they are gutted. If I were packing one out, the gutless method makes a lot of sense to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be rich if I got paid to gut other people's animals

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by skeen

I'd pay someone $25 bucks all day long to gut one for me. And I'd throw another $25 to 'em back at the truck for the drag. laugh

I get it - if I could drive right up to one, I could see not gutting it in the field. Deer pics definitely look better before they are gutted. If I were packing one out, the gutless method makes a lot of sense to me.

I'd gut deer all day long for $25. I know it doesn't take me 5 minutes.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

"Happiness is a warm gut pile"

Sometimes it's just nice to warm up the hands. grin

Done it both ways . . . it all depends.

It is nice to warm up the hands.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd gut deer all day long for $25. I know it doesn't take me 5 minutes.

I have done a lot of them, for a lot less. miles

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Terryk
Around here they get gutted in the woods where they lay. We are not allowed ATV, and no one uses horses, so dragging is the way to get them out. Easier when they are lighter, and they get tangled up less in the laurel when lighter.
I shot a big deer 2 miles from the road last year. I had a new back pack, and I could not find my knife. So I dragged it a mile with the guts in. When I was resting, I found the knife in a back pack compartment, and when those guts were out, it seemed a lot easier. I had a migraine, so it was a miserable drag. I was so pissed that I could not find that knife.

Terryk...you need to get your politicians to call our politicians in LA. Once they hear about all the tax money that will come in when every family not only has 2 or 3 vehicles, but 4 or 5 ATV's as well, they will legalize going anywhere on a 4-wheeler for those tax dollars. Our lawmakers are very attentive to what brings in revenue. It's the reason we can now hunt with crossbows during archery season...more people archery hunting means they bought archery license, crossbows, and all the gear that goes with it. We had a 1 week primitive weapon season at the END of the regular deer season. They gave us a week before regular deer season and there still wasn't enough primitive licenses sold, so they allowed some calibers in single shots as primitive weapons like the 35 Whelen, 45-70, and even the 44 magnum. So, get your senators to call our senators and find out how to generate revenue, then go get that 4-wheeler or side by side and stop gutting them deer in the woods...haul'em to the processor!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
then go get that 4-wheeler or side by side and stop gutting them deer in the woods...haul'em to the processor!

Or do it yourself. miles

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm a gutter right away. Cool em' down and makes the drag easier. Gutpiles and crows go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,999 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,259
Posts18,467,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.