R
Robster Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Looking for a scope recommendation.
My son bought a Remington 700 in 30-06.
He wants a VORTEX scope. so please, only recommendations on the Vortex scopes.
He is using it for hunting whitetail in the east.
He will be going to college in Wyoming and plans to use it to hunt elk, mule deer, pronghorn or whitetail or whatever he can get a tag/draw for.

Looking for what variable power scope Vortex offers that would fit his needs. I do not hunt out west that is why I am asking for suggestions.

This is my Christmas present to him so I'm not looking for the most expensive scope they offer, just a good all round scope that will do the job for what is described above.

Thanks

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Get a 3x9 power. You can’t go wrong.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I agree with Hanco. I have two 30-06s which I took to Colorado in November on an elk hunt. One has a Burris 3-9x scope, the other has a Zeiss 3-9x scope. Both scopes have stadia lines for aiming at longer distances than 100 yards. In practice, I was able to hit targets successfully out to 450 yards with either rifle using the stadia lines for holdover. These scopes are not overly large or heavy yet allow accurate shooting at game out to sane hunting ranges. They would be fine for hunting here in the wooded east as well.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like my 3.5 x 10 Leupold CDS scopes, dial cut to load-bullet.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Pretty hard to go wrong with a 3 - 9. If Vortex offers a scope a scope of 4x or greater multiplier... a 2 -10 (or similar) would cover pretty well any environment and game he is likely to encounter. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would get the BDC reticle and if possible get the top of the line Vortex with the thought it could be a lifetime scope. After paying tuition's you don't want to think about buying another scope too soon.

Just did a price check and some of the razor and other HD models and they are really getting up there in cost. The Diamondback and others are still reasonable though. My point was to not get the entry level Vortex if the budget will allow, but even these are serviceable.

Last edited by Tejano; 12/07/18. Reason: Checked the prices

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you have him get something like the Diamondback tactical 6-24x50 FFP and a sunshade long enough that almost reaches the 700's factory open sights you could probably shorten up his learning curve of what he DOESN'T need early so he's able to capitalize upon the rest of his remaining falls in WY.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by horse1
If you have him get something like the Diamondback tactical 6-24x50 FFP and a sunshade long enough that almost reaches the 700's factory open sights you could probably shorten up his learning curve of what he DOESN'T need early so he's able to capitalize upon the rest of his remaining falls in WY.

6 (?) Big game .....not prarrie dogs! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
He's dead set on Vortex?

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What’s the budget for the vortex? Some great deals out there if you look a bit.

IC B3

R
Robster Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
He is strongly leaning towards the Vortex. He really likes what he read about the scope. To just say scope recommendation, there would be a different brand recommended by each poster so I am just exploring what variable power and options to look at with the Vortex.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and recommendations. I want to go one or two up from entry level. The power and reticle suggestions are great. I will do my homework and figure out what my budget is vs. his needs are based on your recommendations

Robster

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would contact Doug at cameraland and see what he has that fits your sons needs and your budget. Doug will get you fixed up!
3-9 or 4-12 is what I would recommend power wise.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by horse1

6 (?) Big game .....not prarrie dogs! memtb

Look again, it'll teach him what he DOESN'T need. Don't we see on here an awful lot that folks who've grown up hunting where shots are fairly short suddenly believe they need something just short of the next Hubble to hunt in open country? The itch will have been scratched early so he can learn faster. A high-school kid trying to make a request/decision based off of what he's reading screams big-power, tall turrets, and funky reticles to me. Might as well nip that in the bud early.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 805
I would contact Doug at cameraland and see what he has that fits your sons needs and your budget. Doug will get you fixed up!

This.

Since he’s set on Vortex.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by hanco
Get a 3x9 power. You can’t go wrong.

Either that or a straight 6. if available.. Keeping shots inside 500 requires no more. Vortex ain't the only maker...

I do like my Leupold and Tasco 3.5 to 10's for open country tho.... smile

If he is going to hike it, weight and bulk is a factor.

After 50 years at this, any further scopes will likely be 6X fixed, if I can find good ones. It is what I put on my CO son's "beginners" rifle. KISS

Last edited by las; 12/07/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
diamondback hp 4-12

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
More game has probably been taken with a 3x9 than any other scope.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Robster
Looking for a scope recommendation.
My son bought a Remington 700 in 30-06.
He wants a VORTEX scope. so please, only recommendations on the Vortex scopes.
He is using it for hunting whitetail in the east.
He will be going to college in Wyoming and plans to use it to hunt elk, mule deer, pronghorn or whitetail or whatever he can get a tag/draw for.

Looking for what variable power scope Vortex offers that would fit his needs. I do not hunt out west that is why I am asking for suggestions.

This is my Christmas present to him so I'm not looking for the most expensive scope they offer, just a good all round scope that will do the job for what is described above.

Thanks

Why is your son "dead set" on a Vortex? Another thing, you never said your budget for said scope? I know you said, "only Vortex" but for the money, and imo the Meopta Meopro is the way to go. With that said, I understand budgets as and if you can swing 399 Doug at Camera Land has a Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 that will last your son a lifetime and imo is a better quality scope than any Diamondback or Crossfire.

Also, if you will watch the "classifieds" you can find some really good deals on some high quality scopes...

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by 805

This.

Since he’s set on Vortex.

If he wants a Vortex may need to look else where.

Earlier in the year Doug posted why Cameraland no longer carried Vortex, as I remember it wasn't due to problems just that their prices were too high for the product.

Ted
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think they are retailed so low that there is a very thin profit margin for the retailer at least until you get to the Razor and HD's. These are running with the big dogs on price, but not sure on quality as I have only played with the lessor models.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 74 invisible), 3,042 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.