Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

I recently got to look at and handle 5 NIB 2-7x33 counterfeit VX-2s. Everything about them physically would lead you to believe that they were genuine Leupold products except two things; the end labels on the boxes are slightly different, smaller in physical and print size, and the gold ring on the scope isn't stamped with the model series and style. All 5 scopes that I looked at had the same serial number, 434670X. I set 1 of the counterfeit scopes side by side with a genuine Leupold 2-7x33 VX-2 and they look identical, except for the series and model stamp in the gold ring on the objective bell and the serial numbers.

The point being that if you're looking at buying a Leupold scope or a used rifle with a Leupold scope, I'd suggest taking a close look at the gold ring to confirm that it has the correct series and model stamped into it before paying for it.

I spoke to the owner of a local pawn shop who told me that he over-valued, at least in pawn shop terms, a used rifle that he took in trade because it had a 3.5-10x40 VX-2 on it and only after he'd made the deal and the trader had gone did he take a close look at the scope and realize that it was a fake.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shucks, I thought this was going to be a head-to-head tracking and drop test against a real one!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the report. When I sell, I always try to take a pic of the designation on the gold ring. Mainly because no one will think I'm trying to sell a Vari-XIII and calling it a VX3....but this is another reason.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
eBay is infested with fakes.

On the Vx3i series these are the things that really stick out.
1. The label will say “matt”
2. The model number is almost always wrong from what is pictured
3. To my knowledge all 3i scopes have squared off shoulders in the center,
fakes will be rounded.
4. Again to my knowledge all 3i’s come with a scope coat, the fakes only have
the rubber bikini style cover that comes with the vx2.

Of course some of these observations are on NIB only scopes.
Not saying these are facts, just my thoughts! Please set me straight if I’m wrong.

Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Shucks, I thought this was going to be a head-to-head tracking and drip test against a real one!

My friend bought them instead of Simmons 22MAG 3-9x32s to put on Ruger 10/22 style 21139s that he plans to give to his grandkids for Christmas. He told me that he put one of the counterfeit Leupolds on a different Ruger 10/22 and shot it 500 times without any problems, the scope held its zero and nothing seems to be rattling around inside of it. Given the numerous problems that folks seem to have with Leupold 2-7x33s, these might hold up better than the genuine item.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Is there a year that the 2-7x33 were bad? I have several with the most recent bought 2 years ago. They have all been great.

Are other companies faked or just Leupold?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Is there a year that the 2-7x33 were bad? I have several with the most recent bought 2 years ago. They have all been great.

Are other companies faked or just Leupold?

I have never had a problem with a 2-7x33 Leupold, but many folks seem to.

I have seen Bushnell, Leupold, and Zeiss counterfeit scopes on eBay.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Pretty easy to spot with any intuition whatsoever. First of all, eliminate all listing results except USA only, with one simple checkmark on Ebay.
Second, look at the description and pictures closely. If the model is listed incorrectly, or the description looks like it was translated from Chinese, put two and two together.

Third, if in doubt, insure the seller will provide a full and immediate refund if the scope is determined to be a fake. Or better yet, ask the seller for the serial number of the scope, and call Leupold.

It's not too tough. Just don't complain if you get suckered into buying one. If a scope sells for 20% of its MSRP value if it was genuine, it's pretty obvious what is going on.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KenMi
Pretty easy to spot with any intuition whatsoever. First of all, eliminate all listing results except USA only, with one simple checkmark on Ebay.
Second, look at the description and pictures closely. If the model is listed incorrectly, or the description looks like it was translated from Chinese, put two and two together.

Third, if in doubt, insure the seller will provide a full and immediate refund if the scope is determined to be a fake. Or better yet, ask the seller for the serial number of the scope, and call Leupold.

It's not too tough. Just don't complain if you get suckered into buying one. If a scope sells for 20% of its MSRP value if it was genuine, it's pretty obvious what is going on.

Yes, when buying on-line, most of the counterfeits are coming out of China and Hong Kong.

However, when you actually see a counterfeit 2-7x33 next to the genuine 2-7x33 they look almost identical, with the exceptions that I've noted.

I think that the average guy would get suckered more than half the time. This was intended to be a public service, nothing more.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of my buddies was in Hong Kong years ago and bought a half dozen fake Rolex's for the price of a Timex. He gave one to me and one to my brother. Mine ran for about 1 day, my brother's lasted about a year. You get what you pay for.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
One of my buddies was in Hong Kong years ago and bought a half dozen fake Rolex's for the price of a Timex. He gave one to me and one to my brother. Mine ran for about 1 day, my brother's lasted about a year. You get what you pay for.

Agreed, if you buy top shelf you usually get top shelf results.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Pictures of the differences would be nice.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Pictures of the differences would be nice.

Agreed, but I don't do pictures and the presence or absence of the model and series stamp in the gold ring on the objective is the only obvious difference, at least until the people who are making the counterfeits start making them with the model and series stamp.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Or, until they use actual serial numbers that match the model. That's a bit beyond oriental skill

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KenMi
Or, until they use actual serial numbers that match the model. That's a bit beyond oriental skill

The X suffix on the serial number of the scopes that I saw was in sync with the correct year of production.

Leupold changed from the VX-II to VX-2 in 2012 and X is the year code for 2012.

I guess that the makers were either lucky or sufficiently knowledgeable to know that a VX-2 could have an X suffix on the serial number.

Again, let me point out that the only obvious external difference between the counterfeits that I inspected and a genuine 2-7x33 VX-2 is the missing series and model stamp in the gold ring on the objective.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess I need to call Leupold on a opened new in the box scope I bought here on the fire. I don't see the model stamp on the gold ring or on the objective near the ring like my old 3x9 vari x-2s

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I recently bought a new 3-9x40 VX-2 from Amazon. Guess I'd better look it over! Counterfeiting is theft!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I know a few Campfire members have accidentally, or purposefully, purchased a Chinese copy of a Leupold scope. I think I remember some have even mounted them and intended to use the counterfeit Leupold. Do they function OK? How are the optics?

C
CP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I own several VX-2 3-9x40mm Leupold scopes that do not have the model information on the objective gold ring. Two months ago, I sent one of them in for repair and Leupold fixed it under warranty with no comments or questions about it being a fake. CP.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CP
I own several VX-2 3-9x40mm Leupold scopes that do not have the model information on the objective gold ring. Two months ago, I sent one of them in for repair and Leupold fixed it under warranty with no comments or questions about it being a fake. CP.

My mistake, the series and model stamp can be either in the gold ring or between the gold ring and the front of the objective bell.

I have never owned a genuine Leupold scope that didn't have the series and model stamped into the scope in one of those two places. The stamp is very shallow, not obvious to the touch and, particularly on the matte finished scopes, often difficult to see unless you have the scope and light source at a certain angle from your eyes.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 63 invisible), 3,078 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,063
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.