Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

I recently got to look at and handle 5 NIB 2-7x33 counterfeit VX-2s. Everything about them physically would lead you to believe that they were genuine Leupold products except two things; the end labels on the boxes are slightly different, smaller in physical and print size, and the gold ring on the scope isn't stamped with the model series and style. All 5 scopes that I looked at had the same serial number, 434670X. I set 1 of the counterfeit scopes side by side with a genuine Leupold 2-7x33 VX-2 and they look identical, except for the series and model stamp in the gold ring on the objective bell and the serial numbers.

The point being that if you're looking at buying a Leupold scope or a used rifle with a Leupold scope, I'd suggest taking a close look at the gold ring to confirm that it has the correct series and model stamped into it before paying for it.

I spoke to the owner of a local pawn shop who told me that he over-valued, at least in pawn shop terms, a used rifle that he took in trade because it had a 3.5-10x40 VX-2 on it and only after he'd made the deal and the trader had gone did he take a close look at the scope and realize that it was a fake.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shucks, I thought this was going to be a head-to-head tracking and drop test against a real one!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the report. When I sell, I always try to take a pic of the designation on the gold ring. Mainly because no one will think I'm trying to sell a Vari-XIII and calling it a VX3....but this is another reason.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
eBay is infested with fakes.

On the Vx3i series these are the things that really stick out.
1. The label will say “matt”
2. The model number is almost always wrong from what is pictured
3. To my knowledge all 3i scopes have squared off shoulders in the center,
fakes will be rounded.
4. Again to my knowledge all 3i’s come with a scope coat, the fakes only have
the rubber bikini style cover that comes with the vx2.

Of course some of these observations are on NIB only scopes.
Not saying these are facts, just my thoughts! Please set me straight if I’m wrong.

Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Shucks, I thought this was going to be a head-to-head tracking and drip test against a real one!

My friend bought them instead of Simmons 22MAG 3-9x32s to put on Ruger 10/22 style 21139s that he plans to give to his grandkids for Christmas. He told me that he put one of the counterfeit Leupolds on a different Ruger 10/22 and shot it 500 times without any problems, the scope held its zero and nothing seems to be rattling around inside of it. Given the numerous problems that folks seem to have with Leupold 2-7x33s, these might hold up better than the genuine item.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Is there a year that the 2-7x33 were bad? I have several with the most recent bought 2 years ago. They have all been great.

Are other companies faked or just Leupold?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Is there a year that the 2-7x33 were bad? I have several with the most recent bought 2 years ago. They have all been great.

Are other companies faked or just Leupold?

I have never had a problem with a 2-7x33 Leupold, but many folks seem to.

I have seen Bushnell, Leupold, and Zeiss counterfeit scopes on eBay.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Pretty easy to spot with any intuition whatsoever. First of all, eliminate all listing results except USA only, with one simple checkmark on Ebay.
Second, look at the description and pictures closely. If the model is listed incorrectly, or the description looks like it was translated from Chinese, put two and two together.

Third, if in doubt, insure the seller will provide a full and immediate refund if the scope is determined to be a fake. Or better yet, ask the seller for the serial number of the scope, and call Leupold.

It's not too tough. Just don't complain if you get suckered into buying one. If a scope sells for 20% of its MSRP value if it was genuine, it's pretty obvious what is going on.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KenMi
Pretty easy to spot with any intuition whatsoever. First of all, eliminate all listing results except USA only, with one simple checkmark on Ebay.
Second, look at the description and pictures closely. If the model is listed incorrectly, or the description looks like it was translated from Chinese, put two and two together.

Third, if in doubt, insure the seller will provide a full and immediate refund if the scope is determined to be a fake. Or better yet, ask the seller for the serial number of the scope, and call Leupold.

It's not too tough. Just don't complain if you get suckered into buying one. If a scope sells for 20% of its MSRP value if it was genuine, it's pretty obvious what is going on.

Yes, when buying on-line, most of the counterfeits are coming out of China and Hong Kong.

However, when you actually see a counterfeit 2-7x33 next to the genuine 2-7x33 they look almost identical, with the exceptions that I've noted.

I think that the average guy would get suckered more than half the time. This was intended to be a public service, nothing more.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
One of my buddies was in Hong Kong years ago and bought a half dozen fake Rolex's for the price of a Timex. He gave one to me and one to my brother. Mine ran for about 1 day, my brother's lasted about a year. You get what you pay for.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
One of my buddies was in Hong Kong years ago and bought a half dozen fake Rolex's for the price of a Timex. He gave one to me and one to my brother. Mine ran for about 1 day, my brother's lasted about a year. You get what you pay for.

Agreed, if you buy top shelf you usually get top shelf results.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Pictures of the differences would be nice.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Pictures of the differences would be nice.

Agreed, but I don't do pictures and the presence or absence of the model and series stamp in the gold ring on the objective is the only obvious difference, at least until the people who are making the counterfeits start making them with the model and series stamp.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Or, until they use actual serial numbers that match the model. That's a bit beyond oriental skill

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KenMi
Or, until they use actual serial numbers that match the model. That's a bit beyond oriental skill

The X suffix on the serial number of the scopes that I saw was in sync with the correct year of production.

Leupold changed from the VX-II to VX-2 in 2012 and X is the year code for 2012.

I guess that the makers were either lucky or sufficiently knowledgeable to know that a VX-2 could have an X suffix on the serial number.

Again, let me point out that the only obvious external difference between the counterfeits that I inspected and a genuine 2-7x33 VX-2 is the missing series and model stamp in the gold ring on the objective.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess I need to call Leupold on a opened new in the box scope I bought here on the fire. I don't see the model stamp on the gold ring or on the objective near the ring like my old 3x9 vari x-2s

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I recently bought a new 3-9x40 VX-2 from Amazon. Guess I'd better look it over! Counterfeiting is theft!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I know a few Campfire members have accidentally, or purposefully, purchased a Chinese copy of a Leupold scope. I think I remember some have even mounted them and intended to use the counterfeit Leupold. Do they function OK? How are the optics?

C
CP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I own several VX-2 3-9x40mm Leupold scopes that do not have the model information on the objective gold ring. Two months ago, I sent one of them in for repair and Leupold fixed it under warranty with no comments or questions about it being a fake. CP.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CP
I own several VX-2 3-9x40mm Leupold scopes that do not have the model information on the objective gold ring. Two months ago, I sent one of them in for repair and Leupold fixed it under warranty with no comments or questions about it being a fake. CP.

My mistake, the series and model stamp can be either in the gold ring or between the gold ring and the front of the objective bell.

I have never owned a genuine Leupold scope that didn't have the series and model stamped into the scope in one of those two places. The stamp is very shallow, not obvious to the touch and, particularly on the matte finished scopes, often difficult to see unless you have the scope and light source at a certain angle from your eyes.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I own a VX-2 3-9x40mm Leupold scope and it does not have the model information on the objective gold ring, or between the gold ring and the front of the objective bell. It is a CDS model and I called in to get the dial providing the serial number. No problems getting the dial.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DKim
I own a VX-2 3-9x40mm Leupold scope and it does not have the model information on the objective gold ring, or between the gold ring and the front of the objective bell. It is a CDS model and I called in to get the dial providing the serial number. No problems getting the dial.

Yes....same for me too...

Illegitimi non carborundum

C
CP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
This thread served two purposes for me. It reminded me that there is a pile of fake Leupolds out in the market and that I really needed to put together a complete inventory of all my scopes. I can now report that I have finally recorded the serial numbers on all of the 16 Leupold rifle scopes that I currently own. Two of these scopes do not have gold ring or stamped model information on the objective tube. So, I plan on calling Beaverton in the near future to make sure I did not make a couple of mistakes along the way. CP.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

How well do the fake leupolds compare to the real leupolds?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My friend put one of the 2-7x33s on a Ruger 10/22, shot a 500 round of bulk pack .22 LR ammo, and reported that he didn't have any problems.

He was going to buy Simmons .22MAG 3-9x32s to put on some Ruger 10/22s that he is planning to give to his grandkids for Christmas, but he decided to go with these slightly more expensive "Leupold" scopes instead.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

My mistake, the series and model stamp can be either in the gold ring or between the gold ring and the front of the objective bell.

I have never owned a genuine Leupold scope that didn't have the series and model stamped into the scope in one of those two places. The stamp is very shallow, not obvious to the touch and, particularly on the matte finished scopes, often difficult to see unless you have the scope and light source at a certain angle from your eyes.

Unfortunately that seems to be no longer true. I have three VX-1's and a VX-2, a Y, two AC's and a AD date codes, three are LR reticles (which I have never seen offered on the Chicom counterfeit scopes) and none of them are stamped with the model anywhere on the objective bell. Not on the gold ring, nor between the gold ring and the objective bell.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Just called on my 2x7, it is legit according to Leupold. It does not have any markings on the objective like the earlier scopes did. Thanks for the heads up sounds like the counterfeits are getting better and more difficult to spot.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

If buying new you could always call and order them straight from Leupold. May pay a little more, but you know what you are getting.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This 3x arrived from Leupold today. It doesn't say Big Bore on the scope like the others did and the side markings are different. Someone down the road will say. "All the 3x Big Bores had it written on the scope and none had that white lettering. Must be counterfeit."

Well some didn't and some did.

Probably because they are discontinuing the 3x and only making them up with what parts are available.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 12/10/18.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

My wife used to do a fair ammount of business in the Pacific Rim. She bought a fake Rolex for her dad while over there, knowing full well it was a knock off. He's had it for over 20 years and it still runs fine.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I keep telling people that post these they should try them, Its possible they might actually track better than the "real" leupolds.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
^ How true

C
CP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
As I posted above, I contacted Leupold and provided them the serial numbers of the two scopes I have that do not have gold ring or objective lens markings. The technician was very curious about these scopes and asked me to send him some photos of the power selector, serial number, windage/elevation, and gold ring-which I did. This AM I received the following email:

"After having a chance to review the pictures and serial number, and engineering documents, it appears that this scope is authentic from everything I can see."

Make of this what you want... CP.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I put a counterfeit VX3i 1.75-6x32 on a Remington Model Seven 308, and it tracked and held zero just fine. That was only for one range session though. The eye-box isn't forgiving like Leupolds normally are. The reticle isn't a true duplex, nor a wide duplex. It's in between. The clicks are audible and firm. There is a blemish on the gold ring almost like a machining tool line that put a gouge part way around the ring. The box label had some errors. Matte was spelled Matt. The serial number was below the bar code and is one from a VX-R according to Leupold. The scope didn't come with a Leupold scope cover, just a set of cheap bikini covers. Without the blemish on the gold ring, one can't tell it visually from an authentic item without side-by-side comparison.

Be careful when purchasing a used Leupold or from a non-authorized dealer. Always get the serial number and contact Leupold.

I can see pawn shops buying a bunch of these fakes and putting them on rifles to make the price seem better.

Last edited by Dubiedog; 12/23/18.

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It seems like alot of the counterfeit Leupy scopes on Ebay also come with Mil Dot reticles as well. This is something Leupold does not offer standard in the standard VX2 or VX3 lines.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Counterfeit Zeiss out there too.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Motown
It seems like alot of the counterfeit Leupy scopes on Ebay also come with Mil Dot reticles as well. This is something Leupold does not offer standard in the standard VX2 or VX3 lines.

Probably a better scope as well..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CP
As I posted above, I contacted Leupold and provided them the serial numbers of the two scopes I have that do not have gold ring or objective lens markings. The technician was very curious about these scopes and asked me to send him some photos of the power selector, serial number, windage/elevation, and gold ring-which I did. This AM I received the following email:

"After having a chance to review the pictures and serial number, and engineering documents, it appears that this scope is authentic from everything I can see."

Make of this what you want... CP.

Ha ha..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
There are lots of Leupolds made without the gold ring. Go scroll through their website, I counted 4 models then gave up.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Shucks, I thought this was going to be a head-to-head tracking and drop test against a real one!

I will buy all your Leupold "junk" scopes for $50 each.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Borchardt

I’ll give $60!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Motown

Probably a better scope as well..

I'll bet some folks would readily swap their wife for her twin sister, too, especially if she 'worked' better (at first blush anyway)! laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Borchardt

Thanks so much for your kind offer, but I'm afraid I don't have any. IIRC, I have four mounted right now, and so far so good with all of those, though at least one went through a period of "uncertainty" before it decided to settle down and respond properly to my instructions. In fact I've yet to have any scope "fail" thus far other than being difficult in that way, but a good many others have had serious issues with multiple brands, not just individual specimens, and these are experienced, knowledgable users, not internet goobers. As a result, I regard all scopes as suspect until I'm pretty sure they're okay, then I still keep an eye on them. So now Leupold instead of being pretty much all I buy, is just one brand I consider. Being an uncritical fanboy can only lead to disappointment, but you go ahead.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How do they get passed customs?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I keep telling people that post these they should try them, Its possible they might actually track better than the "real" leupolds.

Ha! You’d think they’d fake something good if they were going to the trouble.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

The ones on eBay are coming from China and Hong Kong, probably via China Post, and delivered in the U.S. by USPS.

My friend ordered his via eBay and about 3 weeks later they arrived on his front steps.

This post was intended as a caution for people who might buy a used Leupold scope or a used rifle with a Leupold scope to look closely at them, as at least some of the fake Leupolds are very close/good copies. The counterfeiters went to a lot of effort to duplicate the boxes, box fillers, and scopes with, I assume, the intend to defraud the buyers. A knowledgeable shooting sports enthusiast might spot the difference sooner than later, but the average guy probably wouldn't and might pay a premium price for a less than premium product. I have over 100 Leupold scopes in service, so while not claiming to be an expert on them, I've been around them for over 40 years and without looking closely, or better yet calling Leupold and asking for a serial number confirmation, I would have been taken in by any of the 5 counterfeit 2-7x33s that I've seen, just as the local pawn broker was taken in by the counterfeit 3.5-10x40 that he traded into.

Bottom line is there are variety of counterfeit Leupold styles coming into the U.S., so a prudent buyer must be aware of them and guard himself accordingly.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Leupold's counterfeit phone # is 1-800-538-7653. If your looking at a scope for sale request the ser# then call Leupold to verify if it is authentic .

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

Probably in a garbage truck.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The Chinese models are probably better than the real one now, Leupold has went into the chitter onthe last 5 years.

Fück Joe byron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This makes me think of the recent ‘Ridiculous price on 3Xi’s on ebay’ post in the classifieds. I hope everyone got a legitimate Leupold from that.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
They were legit.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
I bought an obvious counterift off ebay in January out of curiosity.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12618362/1

This scope was $200 and ships from Hong Kong.

But I had to see what would happen.

Today is 18 days later and it was in my mail box.

I called Leupold Customer service and they said it was counterfeit and they want to know where I got it.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What was it about the photos of the scope and/or box that indicated to you it was an obvious counterfeit Leupold scope?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That box states duplex and mildot as the reticle. The model #170683 is for a vx3i (not VX III) CDS with the duplex. I don't think they even make that model with mildot

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
What was it about the photos of the scope and/or box that indicated to you it was an obvious counterfeit Leupold scope?

Shipped from Hong Kong in the ebay ad was what tipped me off.

Then there was the laughable negotiation for the refund on ebay that went up after Leupold said the serial number was bogus.

After a sour apartment building deal in 1990 in Seattle with Chinese nationals, I am once bitten, twice weary. But $200 I can afford as a joke.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Threads like this are the reason I buy from local stores.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hello everyone! Counterfeits are a big issue these days, and unfortunately we and other manufacturers have encountered more and more examples lately. Unfortunately due to the variety of counterfeits out there (and the variety of scopes we at Leupold have made over the years), there is no single way to identify a counterfeit.

Your best protection against counterfeits is to purchase from established sporting goods retailers. We often see counterfeits from private eBay Sellers, Wish.com, ioffer.com, aliexpress.com, and Alibaba.com, as well as many other small websites that try to undersell retailers.

If you are purchasing a scope used or from a private seller and want to confirm its authenticity, please contact Leupold directly. The best way to confirm authenticity would be to email us at ProductSpecialistLeupold.com with a serial number, full description of the scope, and attached images of the whole scope. We track information on all counterfeits that we come across, and can typically ID a fake pretty easily.

That said, it’s a bit of an arms race. Counterfeiters are always trying make their fakes look more real. We’re seeing new fakes on a regular basis, so emailing us the above info also helps us keep on top of the issue.

Be Bold. Be Adventurous. Be Relentless. // We do not actively engage in threads or respond to private messages. For customer service help, please contact us directly at 1-800-LEUPOLD or [email protected].
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by LeupoldOptics
Hello everyone! Counterfeits are a big issue these days, and unfortunately we and other manufacturers have encountered more and more examples lately. Unfortunately due to the variety of counterfeits out there (and the variety of scopes we at Leupold have made over the years), there is no single way to identify a counterfeit.

Your best protection against counterfeits is to purchase from established sporting goods retailers. We often see counterfeits from private eBay Sellers, Wish.com, ioffer.com, aliexpress.com, and Alibaba.com, as well as many other small websites that try to undersell retailers.

If you are purchasing a scope used or from a private seller and want to confirm its authenticity, please contact Leupold directly. The best way to confirm authenticity would be to email us at ProductSpecialistLeupold.com with a serial number, full description of the scope, and attached images of the whole scope. We track information on all counterfeits that we come across, and can typically ID a fake pretty easily.

That said, it’s a bit of an arms race. Counterfeiters are always trying make their fakes look more real. We’re seeing new fakes on a regular basis, so emailing us the above info also helps us keep on top of the issue.

Maybe the company outta buy some and reverse engineer em...
You all might come up with stronger erector and stronger spring ideas.

Something that will adjust per stated value and hold zero.
When the old man died and sonny boy took over with his bean counter,s advice.
Your company,s products went to schit.....

Toodles.....

Last edited by renegade50; 01/03/19.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Renegade, stop obsessing........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'm good.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How would I know if my Tasco is counterfiet?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I found this online about Leupold family ownership and how they manage it.

Evidently the family, now in the 5th gen, had some consternation about whether or not to persue a govt contract where their products would be used to kill people. That would have been an easy one for me...

I guess West Coast thinking and such evidently caused some heartburn. Seems the $43 mil contract soothed ruffled feathers and they ultimately agreed.

Interesting.

www.familybusinessmagazine.com/leupold-stevens-sets-its-sights-enduring-family-ownership-1

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/03/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently bought a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 FireDot 4 Metric off of E Bay and it was sold by Backwoods Outdoor Supply, which I have never heard of. They are in Virginia with a web site and Face Book page. I was the only one that bid on the scope and it is my first item purchased from E Bay. I paid promptly and received scope quickly.

It has a gold ring and no info on gold ring or bell. My other VX-R 3-9x40 TMR was purchased from SWFA and has no gold ring. Both scopes came with a black rubber bikini cover with the letter L on the big end. After examining the scope and box, I believe this scope is ok, but will run the serial # through Leupold to verify.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I recently reported a guy who was selling counterfeit Zeiss and one Leupy on E-bay just before x-mas. I messaged him and warned him i was filing a complaint, and he told me if i did he was going to report me for harrasment. I filed the complaint anyway , explaining they were counterfeit and that Zeiss never made a scope with a red/green illuminated reticle and the model #'s he listed did not match any scope he pictured. Long story short, they did nothing and they all sold for over $500.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
^^^^^
Just my opinion, but if you ask me eBay is irresponsible and shortsighted to take such a laissez-faire attitude. Especially when they tend to suggest they are otherwise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EBay is very irresponsible about a lot of things. I reported a bidder when he didn’t pay for an item he won. I had no contact from him at all. A month or so afterwards, he still had a spotless rating. I emailed them and have heard nothing.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
^^^^^

What is the world coming too?! Some people let their honor, assuming they have any to begin with, go far too cheaply. As soon as I win, I pay. To me, it is my word and my handshake. I bought it, so the sooner I pay, the sooner I get it. I guess some folks have to get the money together, and I understand that. But if you don't have the funds, or are pretty sure you can get them, then you have no business bidding.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I saw another counterfeit Leupold yesterday.

It looked like a VX-III 1.5-5x20, but without a Leupold logo on the left side of the turret assembly and serial number BAA10F05878, it was obviously a fake.

I told the seller that it was a fake and he just shrugged his shoulders, typically pawnbroker attitude.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bought a Leupold from Cabela's and guess what I got? Bought a Leupold from a local sporting goods store and guess what I got? Bought a Leupold from Leupold and guess what I got? You buy a Leupold off of some smuck on E bay, who has lunch with Mr Dong and you get a scope and a little extra. But it is E-Bays fault. Funny....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by battue
Bought a Leupold from Cabela's and guess what I got? Bought a Leupold from a local sporting goods store and guess what I got? Bought a Leupold from Leupold and guess what I got? You buy a Leupold off of some smuck on E bay, who has lunch with Mr Dong and you get a scope and a little extra. But it is E-Bays fault. Funny....

I gaurantee people use retail stores to launder counterfeit goods. Walk in and buy something legit, come right back in with your “return” of a counterfeit item. Then flip the genuine item online for much more than you had in the counterfeit item.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Soooo,

You buy a counterfeit from an established retailer, and they will replace it with the real item. Most of this isn’t all that hard if one deals with those who they know they can trust. Placing your trust in Mr Dong is on you.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Well, the counterfeit 1.5-5x20 was already mounted on a rifle and the pawn shop was asking a premium price for the package, at least in part because of the "Leupold" scope.

Agreed, anyone who buys a "Leupold" scope from an on-line seller in China or Hong Kong for around $60 would have to be an idiot to not know that he/she was buying a counterfeit item. Most of the people selling counterfeit Leupolds on eBay aren't using the Leupold name in their ads, but the pictures look like Leupold products. I think that more and more of these counterfeit scopes are going to be showing up on gun show table waiting for some uninformed buyer to spend his/her money.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Altogether different circumstance. Mail order fraud when dealing with Mr Dong, which doesn’t apply to the pawn shop example. The pawn shop may or may not have known. Mr Dong did.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ChrisAU

I gaurantee people use retail stores to launder counterfeit goods. Walk in and buy something legit, come right back in with your “return” of a counterfeit item. Then flip the genuine item online for much more than you had in the counterfeit item.

Explain to me how they make a profit with the situation.

Addition:

Never mind I have it. I'm thinking return means you are exchanging items, which is not the case.

Last edited by battue; 04/13/19.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 257heaven
EBay is very irresponsible about a lot of things. I reported a bidder when he didn’t pay for an item he won. I had no contact from him at all. A month or so afterwards, he still had a spotless rating. I emailed them and have heard nothing.

I had a similar experience. Buyer made an offer which I accepted. then I heard nothing from them and no payment. I filed a non paying buyer report and it eventually closed with no contact from anyone and no payment. I noticed they actually don’t allow a negative feedback option anymore. Go figure.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wonder why the Chinese don't make counterfeit Sooper Snipers? Or Nightforce?

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Exactly! How could anyone be so stupid to buy from people like Mr. Dong on eBay or someone living in China unless in a weird way they are just looking for attention to post something here. It's a cheap or expensive way to get attention the way I look at it. It's just according to what you are willing to pay.

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Been going on a while . makes me wonder if when some say their luplod suck or is inferior if they don't have leupold and don't know it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a encounter on gunbroker.

A 336 marlin RC in 32WS with a Leupold lox power scope. 1x4 I think.

The add updated saying the scope was counterfeit. I at the time had the highest bid.

I contacted the seller saying I would work out the deal somehow and please keep my bid in place.

Next morning I was outbid by a mile!!!!!!!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/20...ng-counterfeit-leupold-rifle-scopes.html

The owner of an outdoor gear retailer based in Columbia City is accused of selling counterfeit Leopold rifle scopes that he allegedly imported from China.
According to federal investigators, Culp sold the counterfeit scopes to buyers across the United States, through his company’s website and through third-party sites, including the website www.gunbroker. com and eBay.

He made $3,728.50 in sales of the counterfeit rifle scopes to buyers in New York, Connecticut, California, Texas, Florida and Indiana, according to court records.

==============================
https://www.columbian.com/news/2019...selling-counterfeit-rifle-optics-online/

PORTLAND — The owner of an outdoor gear retailer based north of Portland in Columbia City has pleaded guilty to selling counterfeit Leopold rifle scopes that he imported from China.

========================
More
https://pamplinmedia.com/scs/83-new...lty-to-trafficking-knockoff-rifle-scopes

Bruce

Last edited by bcp; 04/19/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another place to beware of fakes is gun shows. I haven't seen fake Leupolds but I've seen obviously fake Nikons at a local gun show. The price was too low and they were in plain white boxes. The dealer insisted they were the real deal.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I thought about this thread after getting a new Leupold
(Although not from Hong Kong)

I called Leupold today with a couple ser#s
Verication pretty quick and easy

Sure seems like good folks as usual

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Another place to beware of fakes is gun shows. I haven't seen fake Leupolds but I've seen obviously fake Nikons at a local gun show. The price was too low and they were in plain white boxes. The dealer insisted they were the real deal.

I ordered a Nikon refurb from Natchez once and it came in a plain white box. More than likely that's what they were.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
another place to watch for fakes is here in the classifieds. i got hit for two Leupolds (fake) from a member.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a counterfeit Leupold on Ebay in 2018 just so I could look at it.

I called Leupold and they verified the serial number is counterfeit.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...t-leupold-arrived-from-ebay#Post12579651

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I bought a counterfeit Leupold on Ebay in 2018 just so I could look at it.

I called Leupold and they verified the serial number is counterfeit.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...t-leupold-arrived-from-ebay#Post12579651

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How does it track?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Now that the majority of posters in this section have condemned Leupold counterfeit scopes, what other counterfeit scopes will you use in the future?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
whatever is both good and cheap I guess.

The Leupold knock-offs that I've seen look more like the scopes that they are intended to mirror than the Bushnells or Zeiss knock-offs that I've seen.

I have around 326 scopes in service or in inventory, plus a few dozen throwaways, so I'm not desperate to buy any scopes, either genuine or fake.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,349
Posts18,468,835
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.