Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Looking to the collective experience here for some guidance.

I am looking for something to store feed that is rodent-proof. Imagining something that isn't too deep for a kid to be able to reach in and scoop feed out at the bottom. Or something that is elevated and would be gravity-fed out of the bottom.

Would love to have something that could hold 300+ pounds or better. We found a plastic bin that hold 270 pounds locally, but it isn't exactly cheap and only holds 5 bags of feed.

Anybody have ideas?

Montana MOFO
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
What about a galvanized garbage can with lid?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
What about a galvanized garbage can with lid?

We use plastic trash cans with lids now. I would like something that can hold more than the ~125 pounds a trashcan can hold.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

mch Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
An old chest freezer works very well for storing feed. Rat and raccoon proof and has a moisture proof seal.

IC B2

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by mch
An old chest freezer works very well for storing feed. Rat and raccoon proof and has a moisture proof seal.

I have considered this. 2 concerns come to mid: where the cold air blows in would allow feed to get in there and stay and get old and perhaps be a pocket of spoilage; how deep it is worries me that my boy won't be able to reach to the bottom easily to scoop out feed as the feed level goes down. Not saying it isn't still a possibility. Thanks.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have used in the past, an oblong galvanized water tank. Get whatever size you need to hold whatever amount of feed you need to put in it. Cover it with a piece of plywood.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mch

That's what I use out in the barn. Works great, and also holds other things besides feed that you want to keep clean. For smaller amounts of feed, I use metal garbage cans, and a few plastic ones as well.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You ought to just get three metal trash cans with lids. They are mouse-proof and can be used in various locations. They are relatively cheap and long lasting. I use two of them to keep feed in and the lids fit tight enough that a raccoon hasn't got in them yet.

If you want low then you are going to have get a pretty long galvanized water tank and make a lid for it.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by mch

I have considered this. 2 concerns come to mid: where the cold air blows in would allow feed to get in there and stay and get old and perhaps be a pocket of spoilage; how deep it is worries me that my boy won't be able to reach to the bottom easily to scoop out feed as the feed level goes down. Not saying it isn't still a possibility. Thanks.

Can't say I've ever seen a chest freezer with a cold air vent. The cold tubes are in the wall. The tub is one sealed piece. That's how we're able to use them as an insulated waterer.

A kitchen reefer/freezer unit has air circulation vents.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by mch

Can't say I've ever seen a chest freezer with a cold air vent. The cold tubes are in the wall. The tub is one sealed piece. That's how we're able to use them as an insulated waterer.

A kitchen reefer/freezer unit has air circulation vents.

Not a chest freezer guy so I didn’t know. Now I do.

I ended up buying a couple job boxes to store feed in. Might go the old chest freezer route if we move the storage out of the shed under and open-face shed.

Thanks for the input guys.

Montana MOFO
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Best thing I've found for my needs are plastic barrels with screw on lids. They say they were used for olives or something? Anyway I buy them for $15-$20 normally closer to $15. They hold between 250 and 300 pounds each. I use Purina feed for some horses and just pour from the bag into the barrels. I mostly feed bulk feed and put the barrels in my truck have them filled up at the co-op and pay bulk price. Working for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the poly bulk bins. Pretty reasonable, too, and way better than messing with bins and old freezers.

https://www.polytankco.com/bulk_bins.html

The smallest one these guys have is half a ton.

[Linked Image]

Sic Semper Tyrannis
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dutch
I like the poly bulk bins. Pretty reasonable, too, and way better than messing with bins and old freezers.

[Linked Image]

I like that too. But, how do you fill it?

Montana MOFO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

It has to be filled using a grain auger.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Snyper

[Linked Image]

That was more of a rhetorical question.

Can't get the feed we need in bulk and definitely don't have many bulk trucks delivering feed around here.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snyper

[Linked Image]

That was more of a rhetorical question.

Can't get the feed we need in bulk and definitely don't have many bulk trucks delivering feed around here.

You just need some metal trash cans then.
Most 30 gallon cans will hold over 150 lbs of grain or pellets.

Set them on some boards so air can circulate underneath to prevent rusting.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I ended up buying a couple job boxes and a large diamond-plate box off a semi.

We have stored feed in plastic trash cans and metal ones. But they lead to more spilled feed and that means more rodents.

These work great.

Thanks for the input guys.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And the highbacked ones have lots of storage room for coffee cans, scoops, treats, vet supplies, and such on the shelves.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,346
Posts18,468,775
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.