-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Browning worked 4 Winchester 4 generations.

The BLR is perhaps the pinnacle of browning engeniering.

Marlins, Savage , and Winchester all have their spin....

It's all good.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Had one in 308 and loaded for it... crappy trigger and would not shoot better than 1.5 inches... sold it...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Does anyone know if they changed the firing pin when they started building the receivers out of aluminum? Just wondering if that might have something to do with the fail to fire issue. Seems worse in a cold climate. Mine failed to fire on a winter bison hunt one time. Pulled the hammer back and the second time it worked

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Browning worked 4 Winchester 4 generations.

The BLR is perhaps the pinnacle of browning engeniering.

Marlins, Savage , and Winchester all have their spin....

It's all good.

The BLR isn't a "Browning" design in the same sense as the Winchester firearms designed by John Browning. The BLR was outsourced to another designer (Karl Lewis) and refined by TRW Corp. Probably the pinnacle (and last) of true Browning engineering was the M2 "Ma Deuce" or the M4 Cannon.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Moisture/grease being inside a bolt/internal firing pin system, during cold weather, often causes FTF in ALL firearms. It can also often be traced to maintenance error.....as opposed to design flaw.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks 4 that T Mitch!

I didn't know who made the BLR ......just assumed...well we all know where that will get you.

The Ma Duece is a far better weapon to end the legacy!

Thanks for setting the record straight!

I appreciate it.

Happy Holidays!

John

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Moisture/grease being inside a bolt/internal firing pin system, during cold weather, often causes FTF in ALL firearms. It can also often be traced to maintenance error.....as opposed to design flaw.

Very true. Mine was cleaned out good with a degreaser, but I found it hard to keep it scrupulously clean when working 18 hours a day guiding hunters for 60-days straight, most of it in bad weather. Found out real quick it wasn't designed for the use my rifles have to endure.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by yukon254
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey

Very true. Mine was cleaned out good with a degreaser, but I found it hard to keep it scrupulously clean when working 18 hours a day guiding hunters for 60-days straight, most of it in bad weather. Found out real quick it wasn't designed for the use my rifles have to endure.

REally like my BLR, but you never see them on a list of tough working rifles.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm not a fan of the BLR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I totally get the nay Sayers on the BLR. If in bear dangerous game country.....you better trust your rifle to fire!

But hunting civilized country driving too and from hotels.... the magazine and hammered lever action make it easy to be legal....

When NOT hunting. They just need trigger work. I M O.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just ordered a another new BLR Browning in 7 Mag. S.S. I plan on using next year in Alaska on a moose hunt. > I was on a hunt in the mountains south side of Yellowstone on a horse back hunt ,lots of bear tracks in the snow too, all 3 of us had 338 Win. Mags. in 700 Remingtons all 3 rifles on day two were froze up and would not firing tell I unthawed them, as far as the BLR Browning freezing up this type of rifle will not freeze up as easy if you do the proper maintenance on rifle as easy as a 700 Remington will. the other part about freeze up on a rifle there are some pre cautions you can do so this never does happen on any rifle, some people clean and oil their rifles way to much also,dry bolts work always better,and uncleaned rifle generally shoots better or as good as a clean bore but a fouled rifle does not rust as easy.

Last edited by pete53; 12/06/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by pete53
I just ordered a another new BLR Browning in 7 Mag. S.S. I plan on using next year in Alaska on a moose hunt. > I was on a hunt in the mountains south side of Yellowstone on a horse back hunt ,lots of bear tracks in the snow too, all 3 of us had 338 Win. Mags. in 700 Remingtons all 3 rifles on day two were froze up and would not firing tell I unthawed them, as far as the BLR Browning freezing up this type of rifle will not freeze up as easy if you do the proper maintenance on rifle as easy as a 700 Remington will. the other part about freeze up on a rifle there are some pre cautions you can do so this never does happen on any rifle, some people clean and oil their rifles way to much also,dry bolts work always better,and uncleaned rifle generally shoots better or as good as a clean bore but a fouled rifle does not rust as easy.

You are correct, the Remington 700 has a reputation for having problems in extreme conditions, at least up here it does. I always run my rifles dry, but still had problems with the BLR. I like the BLR, they usually shoot really good, and I like the way they handle, but I do believe there are far better rifles available for rough use. I've seen Winchester 94s carried by First Nation guides that likely were never cleaned and they still functioned flawlessly. Same goes for the Savage 99. I assume you will be with other hunters on your moose hunt? I sure wouldnt feel comfortable doing a solo hunt in remote country with a complicated rifle like the BLR.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You are right, My sav 99's tend to show reduced case life and stretch when used with upper end hot loads. My BLR does not do this.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Had 2 BLRs in .358W, one Japanese, one Belgian, also have had 3 BLRS in .308W, one Belgian, 2 Japanese. They all shot close to MOA and one of the Belgian. 358W shot quite a bit better with my loads. As you guessed, I really liked them for a long time. I have sold all of them now, one cost me around $300 and 2 trips to Midwest Gunworks to get it right. The lock up got very loose on it from my warm (but in spec) 200 grain loads. They are pretty complicated and fussy so didn't suit me for tracking in thick swamps where they were always getting lots of evergreen needles in the action and froze up on me a few times. I am surprised that is not a more common complaint. Now strictly a bolt action man and decided that for most of my tracking and clear cut watching to go with 7-08 and .270Win. If I was 'needing' something heavier, I would go all the way with a 45-70 or load up some 200 grain bullets for a .308 or 30-06. Although I have rifles costing 7+ times the price, the little Ruger American Compact Stainless is my go to gun 90% of the time.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have a Belgium made BLR circa 1971 in .243. It is heavier but balanced. The trigger sucks but it is manageable. It really loves 95 gr Hornady Superperformance SSTs. My daughter killed her first deer with it and it really is "her" rifle.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have had 3 steel receiver Japanese BLR's with the drop down clip and have had absolutely no trouble at all with any of them. 2 308s and still own a 358. I used one of the 308s when I was guiding full time with no trouble . I also know of a couple earlier Belgium guns that have been used and carried hard for years that are very dependable. I like them very well and recommend the early ones.

Last edited by DLSguide; 12/17/18.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've had several, japan and belgium built both.
I've never had any of the problems folks post about online.
They carried just fine and shot just fine. The deer never complained
about anything, just fell over dead. Since I started hunting where I
now hunt, I mostly use a couple of cheap single shot rifles and have
had no problems with those. A nice fellow with a nice pile of greenbacks
wanted my last BLR, and it went home with him. I must say I didn't
sell it because of any kind of dissatisfaction, I was just needing the
money considerably more than I needed the rifles. I'll also add that
all the ones I've had were the pre-81 models. I wouldn't hesitate to
buy another if I had the want and the money.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1941USMC, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,670 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,308
Posts18,468,178
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.