Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Lookin for an AICS mag fed plinker to complement my Barrett Fieldcraft and LaRue LT-10 autoloader in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Are the differences significant enough to justify the additional $$ for the Ruger Precision Rifle?

I had an American Predator with the rotary mag, and it was more accurate than me.

I’d value any input.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
BP-B6

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The differences are mainly in the way they feel & fit you, can (or can't) be adjusted to do so out of the box, and whether you can hang extra things off of them or customize them from stock. My brother's preferred approach was to take the American Predator and replace the stock. That got him some or much of what the RPR stock offers for fit. Then he put a Timney trigger in it. That got him a better trigger than either gun comes with. He's happy, but he spent just as much as if he'd bought the RPR in the first place, or maybe a skosh more (I don't recall the exact tally).

There's the possibility that the RPR's alignment of stock vs. bolt & barrel does indeed slightly reduce barrel rise from recoil, but that's something I haven't tried or been able to test.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
David,

I've looked at this several times with a RAP, and it keeps coming back to adding up the extra cost to modify, and what the RPR already has.

Before Magpul released their RAR stock, it was $150-200 to convert the magazine feeding over to AICS type, for the factory stock, more if you wanted a solid stock.

The Magpul stock is about $250, and will meet what you want in capability.

I had one on a SA Remington 700 , and thought the forearm was "soft" - it had a lot of flex that I didn't like for a "tactical" type stock.

The RAR stock is "soft-er", but probably not an issue for 99.9% of what I would actually use it for - I really just wanted to get away from the Ruger magazine, and into a box mag.

I'd like a hunting style rifle, with a detachable box mag, the RPR doesn't quite fit that role for me - YMMV.

In the end, the rifle is still sitting the safe waiting for me to make my mind on how much I want to sink into it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Greg.

John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

David,

No experience with the RPR... but I am with Greg that if for hunting it would not work for me.

CDI Precision has DBM for the Ruger American (AICS mag.s) $150, and they will inlet your factory stock for it at no additional charge. (note that the cost of their DBM is about $20 more than PTG's)

Something else to think about; I had a RAPredator in 6.5 Creed and the chamber was so much larger than my Fieldcraft that once fired brass would not fit the Barrett (after FULL length sizing). Yes, I probably could have sent my sizer die back to Hornady, but I traded the rifle off instead.

Jerry

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore.com/ruger-american-short-action-factory-stock-dbm/

Si vis pacem, para bellum
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
So all three are (will be) the same caliber?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
So all three are (will be) the same caliber?

And cartridge....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That’s the point, actually.

John Stark.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
David.. I know you said your predator shot well, and that’s great. But the 3 RPR’s in my family (243 and 2 6mm creeds)shoot lights out. They have come down quite a bit in price too

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They're very different rifles. The RPR is heavy, bulky, and very customizable and adjustable. The RAR-P is much lighter, not adjustable, etc. I've put a RAR-P in an MDT ESS, and I'd prefer that route over the RPR for about the same money. Both options are good, but they're different. Both are very accurate.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What ^ he said......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I've put a RAR-P in an MDT ESS, and I'd prefer that route over the RPR for about the same money.

I agree with this and have done so. It's a great package. Another route which I've gone and also like, a lot, is a RAR Predator in a Magpul Hunter stock. That's a nice combination and could be created today by purchasing from two members:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/13335512

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/13334922

Last edited by TheBigSky; 12/06/18.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The _cheapest_ way to what you're asking for is to just buy the American Predator with the AI-style magazine standard.
https://ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/specSheets/26973.html

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I've put a RAR-P in an MDT ESS, and I'd prefer that route over the RPR for about the same money.

I agree with this and have done so. It's a great package. Another route which I've gone and also like, a lot, is a RAR Predator in a Magpul Hunter stock. That's a nice combination and could be created today by purchasing from two members:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/13335512

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/13334922

Man, I wish Magpul would make that stock in LH. Pretty inexpensive way to upgrade the non-AICS Predators.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If not totally locked on Ruger you may take a look at the Howa. Chassis and works is compatible with AICS and other enhancements. Threaded barrel and about $400-$500 less than Ruger RPR. Not sure what your weight restrictions are. I am sure that it will shoot as well as any 6.5 CM rifle out there.

Howa KRG Bravo 6.5 Creedmoor

Last edited by Rossimp; 12/07/18.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Predator works for me, the Precision rifle just doesn't suit my needs. I have Predators in 308 and 6.5 CM. The 308 takes the AI mags and I do like them better than the rotary mags. The Predator with AI style mags is the say I'd go if buying today.

Last edited by JMR40; 12/07/18.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rossimp
If not totally locked on Ruger you may take a look at the Howa. Chassis and works is compatible with AICS and other enhancements. Threaded barrel and about $400-$500 less than Ruger RPR. Not sure what your weight restrictions are. I am sure that it will shoot as well as any 6.5 CM rifle out there.

Where the heck did you come up with the $4-500 dollars cheaper, on your link?

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/47762

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411558593

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And the Howa won't take p-mags or M-14 mags.....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My mistake, was looking a a retail $.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by Rossimp

Where the heck did you come up with the $4-500 dollars cheaper, on your link?

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/47762

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411558593

Gallery of guns $450 delivered for the American AICS Predator and Sportsman’s ad for $950 for the RPR

John Stark.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.