Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
...of sorts. smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Nothing?

You boys gonna let the gear-heads take this over?

smile smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Idon't have any to add since I have mules, but I will say.my little 13 hd pack mule Roscoe did me proud packing out a big bull this past season.My saddle mule Woodrow was no slough either picking his way thru the rocks to get me to 13,000 feet so l could skin/quarter that bull

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Chris LeDoux Some great songs there. Gone too soon.

Not enough people use hoses anymore. It is easier to house and use a ATV, but it would be nice for those who have horses to have there own thread so specific questions can be asked and looked up without searching through vehicle stuff.

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Idon't have any to add since I have mules, but I will say.my little 13 hd pack mule Roscoe did me proud packing out a big bull this past season.My saddle mule Woodrow was no slough either picking his way thru the rocks to get me to 13,000 feet so l could skin/quarter that bull

Good deal Vince.

I’m not smart enough to have mules, so horses it is! wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I never appreciated one horse power any more than when I've had elk to get out up on the mountain somewhere. We once had half an elk in the pannier and skidded the other half in the snow behind the horse, amazing for this flat lander. That said I don't know anyone who has had horses that doesn't have a the horse hurt me story. Our worst was when I'd dropped an elk in an open area up on the mountain and we had half of it in the pannier when we tried to tie the head to the saddle and the antler spiked the horse in the rump. He just missed my head with his back feet as I dived for cover, but he came down with both feet on my friend's chest! I thought I was going to watch him die up there on that mountain. Tom broke a bunch of ribs and dislocated others with two hoof imprints over his heart. Tough guy. Horses are a lot like hunting dogs and boats imo. It is better to have a friend with them.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Yep.It is never a question of if you will get hurt working stock. It is when!!! With me though,it is either use them or quit hunting. Don't see that happening

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The title is horses but I kind of lump all pack stock together - horses, mules, llamas, goats. All of them do have a few things in common and you can always learn something new.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Yes on the horse thread, although we only have mules. Wisdom from everyone is a good thing, with some humor thrown in!

I ride mules, hunt every chance I can, and even take my husband with me!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was a small child growing up on the farm, we still had mules, and used them to plow tobacco and the garden. My grandfather was the one who worked the mules, Jack and Jim. When he had a stroke in 1960, and retired from active farming, that was the end of the use for mules. I could sure tell some stories about those mules.

I've always had horses, and have never been interested in mules. A friend here does have mules and shows them all over the US. He's always trying to convince me to buy one. Nothing against them, but I just prefer a horse.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was raised up with mules, but did little plowing with them. I did use them a lot with the wagon, harrow, dump rake and mowing machine. I even broke both of them to ride. One was a good saddle mule but the other was treacherous. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I watched a professional packer with mules walk right up the face of a Colorado mountain that our guy with the horses had to zig zag up. The muscle mass on those mules was huge compared with Gary's horses.

As a flat lander, the only thing that I knew about horses was from watching westerns on TV and the pony ring at the amusement park. Gary said here is your horse and that horse knew that I knew nothing about operating one. I'd be coming down when the horse was coming up and mostly we just fed our way up to where ever the horse was taking me. I walked it around like a dog on a leash for a couple of days, but come to find out it was lonely for the other horses and it would go PBBBBB and WHEEEE and we weren't going to see an elk that way.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I saw him perform years ago, definitely a boot and buckle crowd there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wtf?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Off the rails we go again...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

599 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 63 invisible), 2,185 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,656
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.