Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sorry to hear that JG....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GregW
Sorry to hear that JG....

Seems we had a similar discussion a few days ago. Did you whack an axis?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Two axis down.....

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What would have been my biggest coues buck got away a few years back as my Leica 1600 wouldn't range in the light fog in 60 degree weather....

This is the same hunt that my second set of Swaro 15 HDs internally fogged and were worthless for long periods waiting for the sun to dry them out....

I was hot....

- Greg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a Nikon 600 for years. It would read a coyote to 400 yards max. Finally replaced it with a SigKilo 1250, which would read a coyote to not much further than the old Nikon. Sent it back for a refund and bought a Leica 2000B, and I am happy now. It’ll read deer easily to 500 and I have ranged them to 670. Ranged a cow at 1290 yards. You can probably spend more money on Leica units, but this is all I needed, plus some.

Got my 260 dialed in to 500 yards. Dear Lord, send me a coyote that’s wayout there....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if'n it's 'wayout there' it'll be farther than the 260 is dialed in for... just sayin'

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Farthest I could read on any target (I realize in these conditions the "non-relfectivity issues) has been a shade over 300 yards. That's OK most of the time, but I like gear that Works!

For short to medium range, use your reticle. A mil-based reticle makes it easy, but you can still use a holdover reticle for range estimation. Doesn't cost you anything, and you can try it tomorrow.

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In terms of rangefinders, they generally have more problems in bright sun, as Burns stated. Overcast is actually better lighting conditions for a LRF. Fog obviously creates problems for laser rangefinders.

In my experience, any of the popular LRF units can have alignment or source-receiver issues. I had a Swaro that would range to 1800+ with ease, one handed. If you listen to some, they say that Swaro sucks. This is just ignorance to the actual root cause of the issue with their LRF. However, people are quick to state their assumptions based on limited knowledge, and limited samples.

I also had a Leica 1600 that wouldn't range across a small meadow. The replacement Leica easily beats two Sig Kilos on difficult targets. One Kilo was replaced by Sig, as it wouldn't range well.

If you have a LRF with poor performance, but solid reputation, then I'd see if you can get it inspected and replaced under warranty.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Huntsman, the limit of my hay field is 500 yards, so “way out there” for me is 500 yards. Looking the other way along this ROW, I can range deer to about 700 yards, but it isn’t my land.

It was really frustrating to me to see coyotes and hogs out in the hay field, knowing that they were more than 400 out, but less than 500. That frustration finally got me to the Leica 2000B. Now I can’t find a hog or coyote on the hay field. Dang it. But when I do.....

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I'm not sure if if I've ever used my Zeiss PRF in below zero temps(where the device was below zero...) but I do know that it would give much faster and farther readings in fog/snow compared to an old Leica that I used to have. But this is dated info, the Zeiss must be almost 8 years old.

Supposed to be -3F tonight so I could test it in the morning.

I do know that those lithium ion batteries work a helluva lot better in cold temps compared to the standard batteries.

I run the same PRF as Sam and have seen the same thing. I haven’t had enough issues to swap it yet, but I’m sure it’ll happen eventually.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My Zeiss Victory 10 x 45 rangefinder binos gave me readings off trees at over 300 yards through my raindrop covered, curved, pickup windshield yesterday. They have been flawless during the several years (can't remember how many) that I have owned them, and they were pre-owned when I bought them. Two of my best bucks and countless coyotes have died, that definitely would not have otherwise, because I didn't have to switch from binos to rangefinder, and I have played the game both ways. Try switching from binos to rangefinder on a rutting buck at the outer limits of your firearm while lying prone using bipod and turning turrets. Once you've had both in one unit there's no going back, unless you want less taxidermy costs. LOL

M7

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Interesting read, my geovid HD-R's are still going strong.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The last couple days have been dark, overcast and rain, on my deer stand I can range to 473 yards in this ot any other condition. That’s as far as I can go at this location.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 4th_point
In terms of rangefinders, they generally have more problems in bright sun, as Burns stated. Overcast is actually better lighting conditions for a LRF. Fog obviously creates problems for laser rangefinders.

In my experience, any of the popular LRF units can have alignment or source-receiver issues. I had a Swaro that would range to 1800+ with ease, one handed. If you listen to some, they say that Swaro sucks. This is just ignorance to the actual root cause of the issue with their LRF. However, people are quick to state their assumptions based on limited knowledge, and limited samples.

I also had a Leica 1600 that wouldn't range across a small meadow. The replacement Leica easily beats two Sig Kilos on difficult targets. One Kilo was replaced by Sig, as it wouldn't range well.

If you have a LRF with poor performance, but solid reputation, then I'd see if you can get it inspected and replaced under warranty.

There must be a lot of units from a lot of manufacturers with those issues. Based on my experience, observation of other folks LRF's, and what has been reported on the internet, it's a crapshoot regardless of which unit one buys.

Maybe quality control is the issue........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by 4th_point

There must be a lot of units from a lot of manufacturers with those issues. Based on my experience, observation of other folks LRF's, and what has been reported on the internet, it's a crapshoot regardless of which unit one buys.

I think it is atmospheric conditions more then anything.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I tried my old Zeiss the other day in the cold fog.

6F, you could see maybe 150-200 yards. Maybe.

The Z wouldn't range much over 100 yards.

Next day, slightly warmer(10-15F), crystal clear, and easy readings over 1000 yards.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I’ve owned several Leicas as well as the Zeiss and the Sig Kilo 2000 I’m using right now is as fast and as reliable as anything I’ve tried. I did learn that if it gets down below 10 deg I shove in my coat or it won’t read the longer distances. But other than that it’s a rockstar out well past any range I’d shoot. 1200 + easily.

Glad to hear this, in the process of converting a few rifles over to that system.

Thanks, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sick of Battling LRF's

...I have a Ranging 1000 for you. Or if you're okay with packing a bit more weight, a Barr and Stroud.

If you're really serious about stretching it out in poor conditions, take a look at a Newcon, like the LRM 3500.

Last edited by ChrisF; 12/09/18.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

I think it is atmospheric conditions more then anything.

That's a good point.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Thanks for the feedback and experiences guys. I'm pretty sure it's not the temperature, as it was 35-40* actually, but the wind bit hard, and I had the unit in my coat pocket. I feel that it was the unit's inability to read targets in poor, dull light. It wouldn't read yellow grass sandhills, mesquites, deer, nada, nothing past about 300, but most of the time all I got was - - - -, no reading at all whether the unit was perched on my sticks, the truck, fence post, or whatever. I also know the laser receiver window wasn't blocked as I've done that before too. I'd rather not spend much more than $1k if I don't have to, therefore no newer Geovids, Vectronix, etc.

The laser doesn’t care if it’s light out. Only whether the target will reflect the laser energy, or if the atmosphere disperses the laser energy.

Are you using the same brand of battery for all these range finders having issues. Not all batteries are alike.

I'm no expert with LRFs, but this makes the most sense. The LRF is an active device, like RADAR. It does not care about ambient light.

I'd be investigating batteries. Someone mentioned Lithium-Ion batteries. If you're not using them you should try them. It DOES matter.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,739
Posts18,457,632
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.