Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve wanted a pre 64 model 70 for a few years now but never got around to getting one. Today my best friend was cleaning out the safe. He had a user model 70 standard in 30-06 that belonged to is granddad. He mentioned selling most of the rifles and keeping the shotguns. I told him to let me know before he sold the mod 70. He called me later today and told me to come get the rifle. I was happy to say the least.

It appears it was made in 1956 from what I can find on the internet. The stock is in decent shape with normal bumps and bruises but no cracks. The buttpad appears to be the original metal and the hood is still on the front sight. It does have some wear in the bluing on the barrel but not bad at all. It has an old bushnell scope and leather sling. The action is a little sticky from sitting up all the years but I am sure it’ll be smooth as ever once cleaned.

I know this probably isn’t the cream of the crop as far as collecting (at all really)but I am excited to have such a rifle and the fact it was given to me by such a good friend makes it worth even more.

I think I am going to rescope it and keep it like it is. My plans have always been to get one and put it in a mcwoody but I may leave this one be.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Smiling here! Leave that one be. She’s got soul. Enjoy her.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've had a bunch but have sold most of them.
I think you will be pleased with the '06.
donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I do have a fondness for the 30-06. Best all around caliber imo and i have plenty of ammo.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Enjoy, the real classic american rifle!

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very cool. The old std. wt 30-06 that I used to own was one of my most accurate pre 64's. Sounds like the op got a good one. Hang on to it and hunt it and take good care of that one. If you want to put it in a mcmillan, you won't hurt the value one bit. Just be sure to save the old stock in a good place, because the old model 70 will just keep collecting value and you will want to keep the stock looking good. If it is your first pre 64, you'll soon find out why most of us here cherish these things..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Just to add to the back story. The original owner, my buddy’s granddad is turning 98 this year on 12/26. He still hunts, lives by himself, drives, and can make one of the best caramel pies I’ve ever had. In fact he took a trip to Africa last year. Seems like he is just as tough as this rifle. I’m honored to have it. Thanks for the kind words gentleman.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Congratulations! Whatever you do, don't cut the butt for a pad. Also, as BSA suggests, if you change stocks hang onto the original.

As far as I'm concerned, the standard grade .30-06 and .270 rifles are the ones that made the Pre-64's reputation. That's the rifle Joe Lunchbucket saved a bit extra for so he could have the Winchester. Yah they are a tad heavy, but they are all steel and walnut.

I hope you can take it hunting. If so, and if you fill a tag, take a choice cut or similar to your friend, and especially his Grandfather! I promise you it will be rewarding.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 12/08/18.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JSmith62198
I’ve wanted a pre 64 model 70 for a few years now but never got around to getting one. Today my best friend was cleaning out the safe. He had a user model 70 standard in 30-06 that belonged to is granddad. He mentioned selling most of the rifles and keeping the shotguns. I told him to let me know before he sold the mod 70. He called me later today and told me to come get the rifle. I was happy to say the least.

It appears it was made in 1956 from what I can find on the internet. The stock is in decent shape with normal bumps and bruises but no cracks. The buttpad appears to be the original metal and the hood is still on the front sight. It does have some wear in the bluing on the barrel but not bad at all. It has an old bushnell scope and leather sling. The action is a little sticky from sitting up all the years but I am sure it’ll be smooth as ever once cleaned.

I know this probably isn’t the cream of the crop as far as collecting (at all really)but I am excited to have such a rifle and the fact it was given to me by such a good friend makes it worth even more.

I think I am going to rescope it and keep it like it is. My plans have always been to get one and put it in a mcwoody but I may leave this one be.

That sounds like a perfect rifle to me!

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations - sounds like you found the perfect Pre-64 M70. My last to go will be my 93%(+/-) 1961 M70 30-06 SPRG - used just enough when I got it 25 years ago to keep on using it in the field, but nice enough to get comments.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
That’s how this one is. Used just enough to keep using it but not too much to justify changing anything.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Beware they are VERY addictive!!!! I thought one was enough. Boy was I wrong!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BLR358WIN
Beware they are VERY addictive!!!! I thought one was enough. Boy was I wrong!

1 is never enough. However, it may take a few to learn what you really like..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congrats! You got a good one. 30'06 will do anything you need to do. If you're not loading for it yet, try the Blue Box 150's, for starters. You just might be amazed. Nice that the butt pad and front sight hood are still original, too.

Have fun!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by kingston
Smiling here! Leave that one be. She’s got soul. Enjoy her.

My feelings as well. Enjoyed reading your post, good story.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
They multiply....started with a '57 270 and now have a '52 featherweight 308, '61 264 WM and a '51 30-06. Unfortunately, the 30-06 has a corroded barrel and didn't have the correct stock. This one will be a custom built 280 AI.

Kansan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Here are my pre-war Model 70's, vintage scopes add to the pleasure of owning them. Both of those scopes are pretty low power, but I also have the same vintage mounting system on my older Sakos. They have Bausch and Lomb 2 .5-8 scopes with Bausch and Lomb/Kuharsky bases that work well and fit the vintage of those rifles.

I have a couple Bausch and Lomb 2.8-8 scopes and I am sure I have a base for a model 70 if you are interested in getting a vintage scope and mounting system for your rifle. The pleasure of owning these rifles exceeds all the misplaced affection for plastic/stainless guns that seem to prevail today...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Some cool rifles and scopes Shrapnel... Ihave a B & L 2.5-8 on my grandfathers model 54, never hear much about these anymore, but when I started hunting they were the best!!!!

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for all the words of advice. Shrapnel, thank you. I believe I am going to go with something a little more modern at least at first anyway. You have some fine rifles.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
You have the gold standard by which all rifles before and since have been judged. Clean it up, upgrade the glass if you wish, and hunt the heck out of it.

IMO there is nothing that cries out "America" more than a pre-64 M70 '06 (although M94's, Marlin 336's, and Savage 99's are a darn close second)!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 45 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.