Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
After I posted this on the Optics Forum, I realized there is probably more experience with this application among the hunters here

I’m starting to get ready for my bucket list hunt for a tuskless elephant in Zimbabwe in Fall 2019. Given that my eyes are not as good as they were 10 years aco, I’m considering mounting a Trijicon MRO on my 450 Rigby Ruger RSM. Does anyone have any information or experience on the recoil limit of a Trijicon MRO? Would it hold up to this level of recoil? I anticipate a recoil of 75-90 ft-lbs.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I cannot offer any information about recoil tolerance but have owned both an MRO and several RMR's. I'm confident the RMR would take the recoil and might be a better choice because it can be mounted a bit closer to the bore of the rifle? Something to ponder for sure. Good luck on your upcoming hunt!

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
That was my original thinking as well, having seen holographic sights similar to the RSRs on large caliber DRs.

I’m working on the MRO direction because I have one already and like both the ease of target acquisition and the feel of an optical sight yet it doesn’t interfere with a complete view of the surroundings. I found out that knowing where other animals are, besides the target, contributes greatly to survival on an elephant hunt.

This is even more important on a tuskless hunt as this requires close approaches to a herd.

I’ve e-mailed Trijicon to find out the MRO design parameters for recoil. I’m most concerned with the angular momentum that the #4 screws holding the base to the tube will be subjected to.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mounting is critical. Not an RMO, but I saw a Gen 2 RMR on a Ruger 77 in .458 Lott fly off the rifle when the 6-48 mounting bolts sheared. Should of used at least 8x40's.

More and more of those sights are appearing on DG rifles in Africa. Most seem to like them. Be sure you can quickly reacquire the red dot as you bring the rifle down out of recoil.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Have not handled an RMR on a rifle, but on a Glock 20, I had to get tall iron sights to assist in finding the red dot. Without a co-witness, it take me longer to find the dot, not something one would want on a DG rifle. May not be the same with a rifle.

Photo is with std sights before Trijicon supperssor sights were added. I wouldn't want a DG rifle without co-witness irons. And agree with 8x40 screws.

DF

[Linked Image]

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks DF. I have a NECG white front bead I've used on other Ruger DG rifles which stands out well and a detachable NECG rear peep, so I'm set up well that way. I had the OEM RSM RS removed and a fitted blank replaced it on the DR I'll use in September. This makes the open sight picture uncluttered and faster.

I'm very confident using this open sights set up as it's very similar to what I used in my DR for a bull elephant and it worked.

Because my eyes are not as sharp as they were 7 years ago, I'm trying to experiment with an optical reflex sight set up to decide whether the optic gives me faster and brighter single-point sight acquisition.

The first shot will be as fast as the DR, the follow up with my 450 Rigby Ruger RSM will be a bit slower, so I'm looking to tip the scales in my direction as much as possible.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 12/09/18.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm pretty much in that same boat regarding eyeballs.

Keep us posted on this project and what configuration you end up with.

DF

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'll send you a PM with a Trijicon Reps phone number. We had to send our dept's EOtech's back after the bad news several years ago and went with MRO"s. Absolutely great choice on AR's and MP5's but nothing with recoil like you'll be dealing with . This rep will tell it like it is. Super guy...............Good luck with your choice and hunt!

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Appreciate your input. Our local SO uses some privately owned MROs on patrol rifles with good results. Look forward to your PM, thanks.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Thanks DF. I have a NECG white front bead I've used on other Ruger DG rifles which stands out well and a detachable NECG rear peep, so I'm set up well that way. I had the OEM RSM RS removed and a fitted blank replaced it on the DR I'll use in September. This makes the open sight picture uncluttered and faster.

I'm very confident using this open sights set up as it's very similar to what I used in my DR for a bull elephant and it worked.

Because my eyes are not as sharp as they were 7 years ago, I'm trying to experiment with an optical reflex sight set up to decide whether the optic gives me faster and brighter single-point sight acquisition.

The first shot will be as fast as the DR, the follow up with my 450 Rigby Ruger RSM will be a bit slower, so I'm looking to tip the scales in my direction as much as possible.

I like the NECG fiberoptic front. If the RMR is mounted on the front ring, how about regular NECG front and rear to co-witness. Not sure about height to co-witness an RMR.

DF

[Linked Image]

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Mounting the MRO on the integral Ruger base has been interesting and I’m still sorting it out. It involves an adapter - I found a steel one from Burris that converts to the Weaver style - and an MRO base which fits that. I may need to mill the Burris converter, but I’m waiting for a base piece that may obviate the need to do so.

The main problem to solve will be height of optical center to allow sight acquisition without compromising shooting form and rapid follow ups, and strength of the screws holding the mounting base to the body of the MRO tube. I also need technical info before I decide whether to drill and retap the MRO tube. Ideally I would like 8-40 scrrews to withstand shear recoil force, rather than the OEM #4s.

I’ve already determined that the proper mounting position is the receiver ring. Whether co-witnessing will be possible is TBD at this point.

If it doesn’t work, the NECG sights will do the trick, but I’m trying for belt and suspenders. As you know, DF, in DGRs the small details make a very big difference. Especially in the few seconds when it counts.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 12/10/18. Reason: Added info

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, devil's in the details for sure.

I would be interested in your final version, how you eventually work it out.

DF

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
So far I've gathered up the pieces I think I'll need for a test mount of the MRO. Burris makes a 2-piece adapter - all steel - from Ruger integral mounts to Weaver dovetail attachment. In addition, Trijicon sells a low mount that allows the MRO to be mounted to a Weaver base.

Interestingly, the Burris adapter has a strange conical piece in the middle of the longer piece that prevents the Weaver mount from working. I've milled that piece off and can now attach the steel Weaver base.

Next steps will include D&T 8-40 holes in the adapter to attach the Weaver base. Then redilling and tapping the MRO body to accept 6-48 screws replacing the factory #4 screws. The ultimate solution will be a 1-piece Ruger adapter that will accept a QD MRO attachment.

I need to be fairly sure that the 450's recoil won't shear the 6-48 screws.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
493 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.