Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
So I finally purchased a Leupold 2.5x8x32 handgun scope. (One I thought I always wanted). Tonight when I tried to mount it on my handgun, my rings are too small and scope sits on the iron sights of my handgun. I’m shooting a Ruger Redhawk 44mag with 7 1/2” barrel. What rings do I need to purchase and where do I find them. I only have the original Ruger rings.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I believe the rings you need are the same ones used on the rifles. So you should only have to buy one ring. What numbers are on your rings now?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is this a Redhawk or a Super Redhawk?

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
7.5" and hitting "sights" plural, I'm guessing a regular Redhawk w bbl mounted rings (scope then long enough to be in contact w front and rear sight).
Dunno what # the factory rings are. Suppose there's a higher one available.
New version rings are marked w a number.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Can you slide the scope fwd and get it off the rear sight and just pop out the front?
Think somebody makes a filler for the slot (make it pretty when front sight removed).

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Redhawk. Check rings later. The scope for s the length of the gun. I’ll have to remove sights.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
No number on the rings. Scope measures 9 1/2”. Gun from tip of barrel to rear sights is 9 3/4”.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by hookeye
7.5" and hitting "sights" plural, I'm guessing a regular Redhawk w bbl mounted rings (scope then long enough to be in contact w front and rear sight).
Dunno what # the factory rings are. Suppose there's a higher one available.
New version rings are marked w a number.

All correct! Looks like the front sight will have to removed and higher rings for certain.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Many years ago I had to get some higher rings for a Ruger. Called Ruger to buy them and they told me just to ship the ones back that came with the gun and they exchanged them since it was new. Don't know if that is regular practice or if I just caught someone on a good day.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by dave284
Many years ago I had to get some higher rings for a Ruger. Called Ruger to buy them and they told me just to ship the ones back that came with the gun and they exchanged them since it was new. Don't know if that is regular practice or if I just caught someone on a good day.

Wow!

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Ruger will always do this if the original rings are new.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Edwin264
I believe the rings you need are the same ones used on the rifles. So you should only have to buy one ring. What numbers are on your rings now?

Yes - and no.

The Redhawk barrel ring bases are the same size as the Ruger bolt rifle ring bases, but the Redhawk bases are same plane - both rings will be the same height, the rifle rings will usually be two heights.

Last set of Redhawk rings I had were number #4s, IIRC.

Any quality Ruger compatible rings set would work - I've used Talley highs on a Redhawk before, but I don't remember if I had to take the front sight out.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bamagun01

Wow!

Ruger will fit you up. But rings can be too close together that some red dots and scopes will not fit. Scopes are made all different today and some will not fit all guns. Some are so short they can't fit rings and some have turrets so long they can't fit either.
The solution is a Weigand base. I have a Burris base on my SBH and need extension rings to get anything on it. The Weigand will take any Weaver rings of any height.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

713 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,915
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.