Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
When I was a kid we ate hell out of em. Bet I haven’t caught one in over 40 years now.

Same here...

Never had any problem choking them down.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
1) Walleye
2) Smallmouth / Largemouth bass
3) Bluegill / Redear
4) Striper
5) Catfish
6) Salmon
7) 3rd day reheated Long John Silver's
8) White bass

Originally Posted by K1500
That bad...

As a kid we went just about every Sunday afternoon when they were running up in the river. Done right and depending on who's doing the cleaning / cooking they're not that bad. But I do like me some Long John Silver's!!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I remember when Long John Silver’s sold beer!!! It was great then. The Kids didn’t bother me as bad there then ( I mean my own kids! 🤣).

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
1) Walleye
2) Smallmouth / Largemouth bass
3) Bluegill / Redear
4) Striper
5) Catfish
6) Salmon
7) 3rd day reheated Long John Silver's
8) White bass

LMB that high up is qusitonable IME

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I like them better than most catfish, to be honest. Not as good as Crappie or Perch, better than largemouth. To me, they taste just like Striper, just smaller.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A couple friends look down their noses at white bass but I have never thrown one back. Been eating them for over 60 years. Usually mixed with a few walleye and catfish filets.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If they come out of cold clear water they are fine.

The fillets aren't very big, so we cut them into "nugget" size piece, bread them, and then deep fry them. White bass, rock bass, and pumpkinseed sunfish are usually small, but tasty if you're willing to do the work involved in processing them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
LMB that high up is qusitonable IME

I really like large mouth bass. I like it even better cold out of the fridge leftovers the next day.

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Eaten fresh (never frozen) and hot out of the grease they are ok in NE TX. #4 on the eating fish here.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Cut the lateral red streek out of it and when you fillet them leave some meat on the skin. Red meat timmed off and they are as good as about anything.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If they come out of cold clear water they are fine.

The fillets aren't very big, so we cut them into "nugget" size piece, bread them, and then deep fry them. White bass, rock bass, and pumpkinseed sunfish are usually small, but tasty if you're willing to do the work involved in processing them.

We have some big white bass out here, up to 3 lbs. I do prefer the 1 to 1-1/4 lb size for eating. I have pickled the smaller filets a few times, mighty fine.

Last edited by ST50; 12/11/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Cut the lateral red streek out of it and when you fillet them leave some meat on the skin. Red meat timmed off and they are as good as about anything.

This!!!

I trim anything red off after skinning filets . Good stuff.
Any that don't think so, cut such off half the fish and don't on the other half, and fix separately. In the spring I catch 14-15 inchers in the river walleye fishing with jigs.

God Bless

Last edited by Steve692; 12/17/18.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
White bass are good eating, some folks are like wine tasters, kinda snooty.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lastofthebreed
White bass are good eating, some folks are like wine tasters and chili chefs grin , kinda snooty.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thats one lucky fish that gets to live to fight another day i cleaned a few here a few years back and there was an awful lot of red traces in the meat and i fried em up to a big disappointment and never cleaned one since i was raised that anytime you find red in the meat of your fish get it out for good tasting results.

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That red is simply slow-twitch muscle and since it does virtually all of the work in moving the fish around every day it gets a lot of by-products of metabolism added to it...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I like them blackened. They're just another somewhat tasteless white flesh freshwater fish.

Yup!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never caught a white bass. They aren't around here. But striper is, and I target them on the Sacramento River when they migrate from the ocean to spawn. Stripers are delicious. One of my favorites right up there with halibut, ling cod, and rock cod.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[quote=K1500]Title says it all. Are they any good? [/quote

I have eaten a truck load of them. I have challenged a lot of people to tell the difference in them and their favorite species. A few restrictions, 1. must be cooked at the same time and in the same manner. 2. The taster tested CANNOT see or feel the pieces of fish, in other words he/she must be blindfolded and some one must feed him/her. 3. Taster gets choice of 3 out of 5 tries or 2 out of 3 tries and doesn't know results till chosen number tries are completed. BTW I have given this test to several people, ALL HAVE FAILED. Much of our taste comes from what we see & feel. Maybe you will have better luck or taste buds. I doubt it!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
653 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,863 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.