-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I 10X over prefer to dry age because bacteria loves wet environments, but if that isn't feasible I will go ahead and cut the critter up like normal and vacuum seal it in bags, then age it. It will age just fine in the fridge before or after freezing. You could even do this and transport it home in coolers, keeping ice on it, which I guess would be considered wet aging. There's lots of ways to do what you're wanting.

Here's part of the whitetail I shot last week, aging in my fridge. This is no different than traveling home with the vacuum bags in a cooler with ice. I'll keep it in there like this for another week or so. You may not be able to see the blood in the vacuum bags, but if you can you can see how cutting it up before aging also bleeds the meat fairly well. I'll freeze it this way and pat it dry before cooking or you can open the bags, drain the blood and reseal before freezing.

[Linked Image]

I try to avoid total deboning before processing if possible so I don't have to trim so much red crust, but that's a topic for a different time.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Line the bottom of the cooler/coolers with unopened bags of ice toss hog/deer/bobcat in - cover with more unopened bags of ice . Dump semi melted bags of ice pour - two 3 liter sprite/fresca/mountain dew soft drink in - keep drain plug open add ice on day three . Day four tired of messing with ice - cut/pack for plate/fridge/freezer .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bacteria can't fly, walk, or levitate.

But it can float, some " swim" , and it can propagate if in a moist enough environment.

Think about it.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Bacteria can't fly, walk, or levitate.

But it can float, some " swim" , and it can propagate if in a moist enough environment.

Think about it.

The key though is temperature. "Dry age" a deer for a week at 85 degrees and it is obviously gonna rot.

People repeat something often enough that it becomes a thing, like bacteria loves wet environments, when it is much more accurate to say that bacteria loves wet, warm environments.....at least if we are talking the kind of bacteria that makes things rot. Otherwise keeping meat on ice would not work and it works every time.

Last edited by RJY66; 11/26/18.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think some are referring to transporting meat home, some actual aging...........or I'm not understanding their posts.

Still.......in my opinion, and that of all government agencies involved with such, contact with water is never included for AGING.

Taking it home and cutting it up and freezing it is another story for those NOT aging theirs.

My post was completely referring to the OP on aging meat. If you want to REALLY get confused look up storing in 20 percent brine as was (and still is some places) for meat where refrigeration is not an option.

Lots of things work. Some are better but better is a relative opinion so many practices are used.

God bless

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I 10X over prefer to dry age because bacteria loves wet environments, but if that isn't feasible I will go ahead and cut the critter up like normal and vacuum seal it in bags, then age it. It will age just fine in the fridge before or after freezing. You could even do this and transport it home in coolers, keeping ice on it, which I guess would be considered wet aging. There's lots of ways to do what you're wanting.

Here's part of the whitetail I shot last week, aging in my fridge. This is no different than traveling home with the vacuum bags in a cooler with ice. I'll keep it in there like this for another week or so. You may not be able to see the blood in the vacuum bags, but if you can you can see how cutting it up before aging also bleeds the meat fairly well. I'll freeze it this way and pat it dry before cooking or you can open the bags, drain the blood and reseal before freezing.

[Linked Image]

I try to avoid total deboning before processing if possible so I don't have to trim so much red crust, but that's a topic for a different time.

That's the best and easiest way, IMO. With a good vacuum sealing system it takes very little time to process a deer anymore, especially if I can get the wife involved. If its a pre-rut deer, I don't age at all anymore as I can't tell the difference. Some of the best meat I've had has been vacuum packed and frozen the same day it was killed.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
personally I just quarter my deer or what ever put tender loins and back straps on top of the quarters in the big cooler dump ice on top of it all,if not leaving for a few days I angle the cooler with bottom plug open so water and blood runs out.i check cooler meat once a day maybe add more ice. before I put any quarters in my coolers I wipe meat clean best I can and I always put front quarters down first too,i always cut my own meat up with my son ,wife wraps for us. I try to never let my meat freeze solid before I cut the quarters up ,its just a pain to work on quarters then when froze with unthrawing.i also prefer to skin my animals before aninal is cooled down,warm animals hides skin much easier and my hands don't get cooled then either

Last edited by pete53; 11/26/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Tejano: If you use dry ice do not put it directly on the meat or it freezer burns. I put ice on the meat in bags and then put the dry ice on top of the ice just to make the ice last longer. Eliminates the need to buy ice every day. Worked great for a 3 day drive from Colorado in 90* heat. after Sept. muzzle loader.

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've used dry ice to keep to keep my ice bottles frozen as long as possible. I like to lay the meat on top of some frozen bottles and then put some more bottles on top. If they start to thaw I will throw bagged ice(in the bag) on top so as it melts the meat isn't sitting in water. I prefer not to have the meat sitting in water but I know others have good luck that way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do a wet soak in ice.....been doing it since the 80's

Lots of ice with enough water to allow the ice to move

We soak quarters in this ice water mix for a couple days with one pound of rock salt mixed in big Igloo coolers

I love how clean the meat is when we cut it up or grind

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bobmn
Tejano: If you use dry ice do not put it directly on the meat or it freezer burns.

Ended up using blue ice cold packs. These kept things frozen for about four days in cool weather. The dry ice was kept in an insulated mylar bubble wrap bag with paper or plastic between it and the meat. These only lasted about two days and the meat that only had the plastic between it and the dry ice I trimmed away. Decided it is only worth it for transporting previously frozen meat.

Yes to combining transport and ageing so it is usually a combination of methods for me. Mine is like Tedhorn's but I start draining the second day and thereafter unless I am intentionally brining the meat.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have been icing my deer for several years. When I kill one I skin. I quarter it up and throw it in a big clean cooler. Cover it up with ice between meat and cover it all. Salt the ice good. Then drain off the bloody water at least once a day and add ice. If I can it stays in the cooler 5 days. The meat tastes good. To me better than one that has been hung up. Never had anyone get sick eating it either.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ice in the cooler. 7-10 days, I dont' drain the water unless it gets full of water. If meat isnt' in water to start with it is by the time I cut it.

Iv'e never had a single issue this way.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by RevMike
Folks:

For those of you who use a cooler and ice to wet age meat, I have a couple of questions.

1. I know the water drains through the plug, but doo you keep the meat off the bottom of the cooler with a grate or something?
2. Do you put the ice directly on the meat, or is there something like freezer paper between the meat and ice? (I've seen that done both ways).

Thanks

RM

Hello Mike.....

The way I do it is to put a layer of ice on the bottom of the cooler, chunk the meat in and put ice on top. I don't wrap the meat or anything, don't put salt or anything else in the ice either. Drain the water out each day and refill with ice. I don't try to crowd the meat ie attempt to stuff an entire quartered whitetail in a 48 quart cooler. I put the hindquarters in one cooler and the rest of the deer in another just so I have a lot of ice. I find two little coolers (54 quart) a little easier to work with than one big one but YMMV on that.

You are going to get some water on the meat, especially at first as the first round of ice has to dissipate body heat, but there is no way in heck that bacteria is going to be an issue as long as you have plenty of ice in the box. That water is going to be just above freezing temp, and unless you get water from a creek somewhere to make your ice its gonna be coming from a purified source. The only way you can screw this up is to forget about it, let all the ice melt and the water get warm. After about a week give or take, the meat will appear pale, looking kind of like chicken, and that worries some people, but that is only superficial. I use plain old igloo coolers, not the high dollar stuff.

I don't know how much "bleeding" takes place in this process. You cut a heck of a lot of little blood vessels when you butcher an animal and these are going to bleed into the water. It does not take much blood to make the drain water look red. Usually after a day or two the water gets pretty clear.

I'm usually tired of acquiring ice, draining the cooler, etc after about a week and get motivated to put the deer away in the freezer. So I have not left the meat on ice much longer than that.

I've never had any problems or complaints about meat quality. I have had a chance to eat some venison that was aged in a walk in cooler with the hide on, ie the ideal way, and I could not tell any difference personally. I've also "dry aged" it in a fridge and can't tell the difference. It is my opinion that most average deer people kill are relatively young and don't benefit that much from a long aging process........but this stuff is almost like a religion.

This. ^^^^., i leave the drain open, add ice daily and a bit of salt every couple of days. Put up in a week. In a week it looks whiter than chicken if left in ice water. Still tastes great.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have quartered up deer in coolers for years. Ice them down and let it drip out on its own from the drain... let it sit a few days and cut it up. I used to hang them for 1-3 weeks and really like the wet method better. Seems to get more of the blood out and have a much more tasty product.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 58 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,643
Posts18,455,374
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.