Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JB1894 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
So I thought long and hard today on what scope to get between the Leupold VX3 4.5-14 vs The leupold VX freedom 3-9x40. The VX3 was brand new but the store has had it for over 2 years and never sold it and had it listed for $300 out the door. The VX Freedom was $220 out the door. I heard the VX3 was replaced by the VX3i and didn’t have very good glass. I heard the VX Freedom has good glass. I chose the VX3 4.5-14 because it originally cost like $450. Did I do ok? I just want to make sure I got a better scope than the one that was $80 cheaper.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
VX-3 has good “glass.” You did fine pricewise.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The Freedom, hands down.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems like a good price. Personally, I was not pleased to see the VX-Freedom redesign, with the blocky high profile turret caps, oversized Tonka truck power rings, and reduction in tube length. Seeing as this is what killed the VX-3s and 2s, I'd struggle with buying one. Can't compare to 3-9x40 price anyways, $300 is more what the Freedom 4-12s are going for. So I'd say yes, good buy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is the first year I hunted with the freedom. I would like to know exactly how in the hell Leupold gets the lenses to be that bright in lowlight? There is no budget scope that can touch this. I personally feel its brighter than my VX3s.

The scope is so bright my Binos can’t compete at all, one less thing in the backpack.

There are many things I like about the Freedom and time will tell its durability but the flat seals, bright picture at dark, and larger power ring float my boat.

I miss the Bikini covers though.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 12/09/18.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

If the Freedom had the B&C or at least the LR reticle, I'd probably own one by now. But their "Tri-MOA" reticle looks like graphing paper hung across the lens........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco

The scope is so bright my Binos can’t compete at all, one less thing in the backpack.

C’mon Johnny, that ain’t the brightest thing to be doing.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This is the first year I hunted with the freedom. I would like to know exactly how in the hell Leupold gets the lenses to be that bright in lowlight? There is no budget scope that can touch this. I personally feel its brighter than my VX3s.

While the brightness of modern riflescopes is impressive at many different price points, I think it is safe to say you need a better binocular.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I can't speak to the qualities of the Freedom line but you did well to acquire a VX3 brand new for $300.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

If the Freedom had the B&C or at least the LR reticle, I'd probably own one by now. But their "Tri-MOA" reticle looks like graphing paper hung across the lens........

You can't operate with a Boone & Crockett. Won't match your rifle and load. That's Operator 101!

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Goosey

You can't operate with a Boone & Crockett. Won't match your rifle and load. That's Operator 101!

Minute of steel works well............ smile

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t really need binos for my type of hunting, its too close so the movement of glassing can cost you an animal.

Binos have their place but not so much in my hunting environment, not even for predators.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 12/10/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

There are many things I like about the Freedom and time will tell its durability but the flat seals, bright picture at dark, and larger power ring float my boat.

I miss the Bikini covers though.

At the price point I think Leupold did an excellent job with the VX-Freedom

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck, at $175 price match off of Bud’s gun shop and $182 prime two day shipping off Amazon, impossible to beat.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
tag

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I bought a Leupold Freedom 3-9x40 a couple of months ago and have been using it only a fairly regular basis. I am impressed with the brightness as compared to my newer VX-2's in the same configuration. IMO, it is the best view available in its price range. As far as tracking, holding zero, being easy to get behind it all seems to work just fine.

Things I don't like - the boxy turret design housing and blocky turret caps. As a matter of fact the whole design looks "cheap", it is almost like they designed a scope to fit the image of the "tactical looking" rifles that are so popular now, while the scope may look okay on that type of rifle it does nothing to enhance the looks of a nice sporter.

drover

Last edited by drover; 12/11/18.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drover - 100%.

Leupold is going the way of Remington.........deaf

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

About the time the VX Freedom was released I read and article that explained Leupolds thought process, or tried to. In essence, Leupold streamlined and cosolidated. The likelihood of seeing a B&C or LR reticle in the Freedom is pretty thin. The Freedom is a result of some "process reorganization" at Leupold. Leupold cut 50 plus SKUs from their line eliminating the VX-1 and VX-2. Doing so was a 'god send' to many retailers and distributors. The Freedom basically took the place of the VX-1 and VX-2, at a lower price point and with not much more than 12-15 SKUs.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally, I think it depends on what the hell they feel like that day. I’ve seen ballistic reticles show up in freedoms out of nowhere, one for the 450 Bushmaster.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
One difference between the two is the freedom has twilight and the vx3i has twilight Max light gathering system it is the better system they say. I have not compared the two but I have two vx3's and two vx3i's and love all 4 of them they are great scopes. I put one on my one 7mm08 and it shot a halph inch group when I checked it and that gun has never shot that good now I am wondering if it was not the scope. I am putting one on my new Sako Finnlight will be a great setup. Blackwidow

Last edited by Blackwidow; 12/19/18.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 22kHornet, 224th, 52 invisible), 2,070 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,542
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.