Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Which have you found to be the warmest, and if you buy them online, where do you get them. Thanks for looking.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The black "Micky Mouse" boots were rated to about -20 F, white "bunny" boots are rated to about -60 F (I think - but also depends on level of activity and your metabolism)

Do a search online - lots of places sell them like surplus stores and amazon. The trick might be finding your right size.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The white boots are the warmest. I can only stand wearing them when it's seriously cold( like -20F or lower ) or if doing something sedentary like ice fishing. In warmer temps, or if active, I use the black boots. They're a little less bulky/clumsy, which I like if the job involves any climbing. Call me old fashioned, but I still think there is no substitute for them! No matter which ones you wear, keep at least one change of dry socks handy at all times, and check your feet regularly. When your socks get damp/soaked with sweat, change them.

Jeff

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If you’re an Alaskan PM me, if not I don’t want to help sell off the dwindling supply of bunny boots to some Texan who watched an Alaska show and thinks they look cool.

Anyways like I said, I know a good source for them, pm me if you’re a fellow Alaskan.

H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I lived in Alaska previously, but no longer. Thanks

IC B2

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Black bunnies are narrower, lighter and lighter. The white bunnies are better if you are sedentary such as ice fishing or riding. I recommend felt insoles when wearing these with a spare set of insoles close by. The best boots are Bata with the air valve. If possible you can test the boots for felt dryness by putting them in a freezer. After awhile check for ice while flexing the boots. Most of these boots are sold used and the interior felt is only waterproof when the air valve is closed. Should water get into the felt they are impossible to dry again.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by pak
Black bunnies are narrower, lighter and lighter. The white bunnies are better if you are sedentary such as ice fishing or riding. I recommend felt insoles when wearing these with a spare set of insoles close by. The best boots are Bata with the air valve. If possible you can test the boots for felt dryness by putting them in a freezer. After awhile check for ice while flexing the boots. Most of these boots are sold used and the interior felt is only waterproof when the air valve is closed. Should water get into the felt they are impossible to dry again.

Bata is good, miner brand is also great, I actually prefer miner brand over bata because they seem a bit softer and don’t turn yellow as fast. The one to avoid is air boss, they are Canadian made and sort of [bleep]. With the supplies on these things dwindling, new unused pairs are getting more scarce and prices are going up.

I got a pair of brand new miners in 11r for like 190.00 which I thought was a bargain. By last pair was a pair of batas.

I should probably make the call and source out a pair of black ones while I still can.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by hotsoup

Not trying to be a dick but the owner of the shop in a round about way expressed her distaste for sending these boots down south where they aren’t needed.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Also try the Sportsman Guide.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remnant Room in Delta Jct has both from time to time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There was a rack full at Value Village here in Anchorage the other day, dirt cheap. No 12s...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Colemans Military Surplus had them a few months ago.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
there might be a 12 at the local hardware store, I could go look after work, they are probably like 170.00 though....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
there might be a 12 at the local hardware store, I could go look after work, they are probably like 170.00 though....

Thank you, but I have a couple pairs. I was only looking because they were 20 bucks a pair...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thank you for the responses. I appreciate it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Not trying to be a dick but the owner of the shop in a round about way expressed her distaste for sending these boots down south where they aren’t needed.

Have you ever spent a winter in northern Minnesota or North North Dakota?
SW Alaska, what a joke, you guys act like you are the only ones that get cold. Come on down and I'll take you ice fishing on Lake of the Woods or Rainy Lake and show you what cold is.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

They are sized quite large. Boots and shoes I wear a 13 but in Bata VBs, I buy an 11R.....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

Have you ever spent a winter in northern Minnesota or North North Dakota?
SW Alaska, what a joke, you guys act like you are the only ones that get cold. Come on down and I'll take you ice fishing on Lake of the Woods or Rainy Lake and show you what cold is.

I get what you're saying wackem but in my experience the benefits of the boots aren't only where its just really cold but also where its really remote and you can't just go back to the truck. I've had lots of boots as warm. But none I could dump the water out of(ie overflow) throw on a new pair of socks and keep going. That matters more the further you get from a road. If theres even one around.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was marching in Uncle's legions, we were taught that the black Mickeys were for cold, wet environments and the Bunnies were extreme cold, dry environments. We were issued Mickeys in Korea and Bunnies at Ft. Aintwright.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 54 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.