-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
I have a chance to trade for one of these two scopes to go on a Remington Model 7 Predator in .243 that I just bought. I've been toying with the idea of putting a fixed 6x on it, but the 1.5x6 sort of intrigues me as well. I know a little bit about the Weaver and actually owned one for a short period of time several years ago. The Sightron is no longer produced however, and I can find very little info or specs on it. I have a 3x12x42 SII Big Sky that I like really well, but I don't know how the Big Sky compares with the regular SII. So, can anyone tell me anything about the Sightron? How does it compare optically to the K6? Which do you think would be the better scope? I normally keep my Big Sky on 6x most of the time but killed a 9 point last Monday with it on 3x. I had it on 3x because there was a trail in front of my stand less than 15 yards away. That's why I like the idea of being able to turn the scope down. I have very few stands that way though. The deer wound up being about 50 yards away. I am only looking for a comparison of these two scopes and will be trading for one of them. Which scope would you guys choose between the two?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Currently I've more scopes than rifles to put under them. My J. C. Higgins model 50 in .30-'06 has a Weaver K6 on it. My Siightron 1.5 - 6 x 42 scope doesn't have a rifle underneath it.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Big Skys were a step up from the SIIs and generally had more eye relief, but I believe they have been discontinued. I sure like the 6x42 Big Sky I have. No help comparing one to the Weaver. šŸ˜¦

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Sightron SII in 1.5-6, and a steel tube Weaver K6-2 (if that is what you are asking about).

The Sightron's a good scope, and was good value when I bought it. It spent a good while on a combination gun, and the recoil of 12 ga as well as 7x57 didn't seem to bother it. It is now on a .22.

Good low-light performance too. The only small criticism I have of it is that there's a bit of a dark ring around the visual field - not a big deal and you soon get used to it. I'd happily buy another.

The Weaver was on a 6mm for a good while, from new, and i knocked off a fair number of small and medium-sized critters with it so equipped, before deciding that a 3-9x was more in line with what I wanted to do with that particular rifle. Scopes have come a long way since I bought that Weaver, and
after a stint on a .222 it has been surplus to requirements for a while now .

I like 1.5 - 6 scopes, and have three. They are particularly good on combos and rifles for the thick stuff, where at 1.5x you can shoot with both eyes open like a reflex sight, but with the ability to wind up the magnification for a somewhat longer shot. I've shot small and medium game out to a fair distance at 6x, but I personally find the fixed 6x loses out a bit for fast shots at really close, fast moving stuff. YMMV.

With a rifle which might be called upon to reach out a bit you might also consider something with a bit more top end, such as a 2-7 or 3-9. As I said, I settled on a 3-9 on the 6mm and found it worked well on a rifle which might go into the pines for deer or be used to reach across the paddock to a distant pest.

B
OP Offline
B
I have various 3x9's, a couple of 2x7's, the 3x12, and even a 5x15 that isn't on a gun at this time. I was just looking for something different. In fact, the scope I am trading is a Vortex Viper 3x9 which may be a better scope than either of those, but I'm just not crazy about BDC reticles. I listed several scopes that I'd trade for, but these two are the only offers I have and have pretty much committed to trading for one of them. Just trying to figure out which is the best of the two. Thanks for the responses so far.

IC B2

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I can't compare as I only have the SII and agree with Dan oz's comments regarding that scope. Mine is on a muzzleloader and killed 2 of my last 3 deer with it. I find it clear, ample eye relief, tracks well, maintains zero and has been a flawless scope. My only real complaint is that to my eye there is somewhat of a tunnel vision view. Maine's muzzleloading season is a season of last resort (loser's season if you must) so my rifle doesn't get shot a ton compared to my centerfire fires. The weather is typically bad, this year was no different, and as I said, the scope has been trouble free. It seems to be a very good fit for my Omega but I'm not shooting longer distances.

Last edited by JDK; 12/09/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another 1.5-6x42mm scope owner, it is one of my favorites for called coyotes, enough FOV for as close as yout shoe laces and enough X's to make 300 yard coyotes a chip shot. I have 1.5-6 scope by Sightron, Alpen optics, Burris and Bausch&Lomb. the Sightron is the fav.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Don't know much about the SII, but I'm a big believer in the Classic K Weaver scopes...they simply work.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do pƭči
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for all the comments. I decided to go with the Sightron. I have some bow stands that I occasionally hunt with a gun. The ability to turn the scope down will come in handy in those situations. I'll probably eventually end up with a fixed 6x at some point as well. Thanks again.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've got somewhat of a vested interest in this post,so I'll shed some light on it.There are two offerings of SII scopes by Sightron,early models that were manufactured in Japan (rumored to be by LOW,Inc.) and the later,and current offerings made in the Philippines.The earlier models were made with the company's two premium features that are now only available on the SIII and Big Sky models;the ExacTrac windage and elevation system,and the enhanced Zact-7 Revcoat lens coatings.When production was moved to the Philippines,SII and SI lines were not made with these features,with an aim at a different price point.Big Sky production remained in Japan,and are definitely a step up from later SII models.Therefore,early SII models are on par with the SII Big Sky offerings,and are much more coveted than later models by Sightron fans.So I believe you'll find the 1.5-6 will compare favorably to your Big Sky smile

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have a Japan SII 3-12x42 from the early 2000s. I love it. I like it better than the nikon monarchs I own and even a vx3i.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've got three.Well,looks like two now.But I will find another to replace it.I think they're one of the best buys in a rifle scope.Quite a fan of Weaver K series too.It's telling in the fact that they've been around as long as they have.As the previous poster stated;they just work...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Might as well mention the K4 as well. It is a great scope, and Iā€™ve never found anything that I could do with a low powered variable that couldnā€™t be done just as well with a fixed 4x. The main reason I have some low powered variables is that I like the looks of a straight tube on some rifles. Thatā€™s it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,876
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.