Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
A bunch of the kids live out over in Palmer now. From what I read they are all doing pretty good considering what they enduredthrough with papa pilgrim..

One of them I've been told owns a Bed and Breakfast off Clarke-Wolverine Rd, up on Lazy Mountain. Pilgrim was a sick SOB.

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 79S
A bunch of the kids live out over in Palmer now. From what I read they are all doing pretty good considering what they enduredthrough with papa pilgrim..

I met one of the guys in Palmer several years ago. Unfortunately i think he was the guy tbat got his legs crushed in an accident later.

link

I was driving by in the eastbound lane when the accident happened...

He got a very nice dall ram this year and was very thankful for it. Inside info on Papa is that he didn't die of a heart attack but people of McCarthy raised 5K and had his dick cutoff in Prison and he died of blood loss.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 79S

I met one of the guys in Palmer several years ago. Unfortunately i think he was the guy tbat got his legs crushed in an accident later.

link

I was driving by in the eastbound lane when the accident happened...

He got a very nice dall ram this year and was very thankful for it. Inside info on Papa is that he didn't die of a heart attack but people of McCarthy raised 5K and had his dick cutoff in Prison and he died of blood loss.

That is a bright twist on a dark morning!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I hope that is true...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow I guess I'm going to have to take the time to read that book sooner than later. I just bought because it was only $1, and the inside cover says its a true story, and it's Alaska.I had never heard about any of it until i bought this book. And I haven't even started it yet.

If it looks good, you'll see it
If it sounds good, you'll hear it
If it's marketed right, you'll buy it
But...If it's real, you'll feel it
Kid Rock
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bar none...."The Last Viking".

Simply incredible resolve...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just received "The Inupiaq Eskimo Nations of Northwest Alaska".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just got "Fifty Years Below Zero". The intro. was fascinating, telling of his years before Alaska. Looks like they spared every expense on the photo plates, though. They look like a Rorschach test, mostly.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I enjoyed reading “Two in the Far North” by Margaret Murrie (sp?). The Murie brothers were early naturalists that did a lot of studies in Alaska and Margaret married Olaus Murie. Frank Glaser worked on caribou and reindeer studies with the Muries. She left Seattle on a steamship in the 1920 time frame bound for Alaska and her description of her early years.

Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I enjoyed reading “Two in the Far North” by Margaret Murrie (sp?). The Murie brothers were early naturalists that did a lot of studies in Alaska and Margaret married Olaus Murie. Frank Glaser worked on caribou and reindeer studies with the Muries. She left Seattle on a steamship in the 1920 time frame bound for Alaska and her description of her early years.

Reading this one right now....very good!

"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see."
~Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That’s the one I’m in

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 60n148w
That’s the one I’m in

Your FIL is in at least one of those stories, no???

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don’t think it was more Bear Tales,he was with Fredrick De Lunga when she did a study of PWS in the 1930s

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 60n148w
I don’t think it was more Bear Tales,he was with Fredrick De Lunga when she did a study of PWS in the 1930s

I think i have the bear tales book with the reference marked, wiill try to dig it out when i find it in the piles of books that hit the floor the other day...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite is Alaska's Wolfman about old Frank Glaser and written by the wonderful story teller Jim Reardon. I think I have three books about Bud Conkle and his wife LeNora and my Mom visited together often. I believe she is gone also. They lived about 20 miles down the road from my parents place on the Slana River. They bought some property from Harry Boyden, a grand old Englishman who guided for many years in the Wrangell's. He started guiding early in the 20th century. I am afraid his story is lost in time as most that knew him are gone.

Shadows of the Koyukuk is a good read about Jimmy Huntington and my wife and I visited him in Galena in 2007 after our Koyukuk moose hunt and had him autograph his book. He was friends with my wife's parents and was 91 then and is also gone. My wife's grandparents bought the house Jimmy's dad built in Nulato during the "gold rush" days. My wife's mom died early and her Dad was a Deputy U.S. Marshal covering a huge area on the Yukon River during Alaska's territory days and was gone a lot. So her and her sister and 3 cousins and 2 other kids all lived in that one room house for awhile with the grandparents. A bit crowded, but full of love.

James ".450 Watts" is a very good read about and Alaskan school teacher who landed in Valdez in 1936 and walked to Fairbanks on the Valdez Trail and later settled in Seward. His wife and him and her brother were very adventurous and would flat take a hike. Like walking cross country from Seward to Skilak and making brown bear jerky on the way! I know there is and has been all kinds of talk about who is responsible for the .450 Alaskan, .458 Lott and .458 Win. Reading his book has changed my mind on who should be getting credit for some of those big bores.

Yukon Trophies Won and Lost took place in Canada and Alaska and it is a favorite read. Damn tough men that loved to hunt. Jim Reardon has written many books on Alaska and it's men and women and he is and excellent story teller, ya can't go wrong with his stuff.

I miss "old Alaska",,,,

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Reading Debbie Moderow's book about her and family's Itidarod runs. Ain't bad, but in the class of others.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 12/14/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is gonna get expensive...

I would like some more info on Phil's book endeavor, if Phil or someone else cares to fill me in.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Shadows on the Koyukuk.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
My favorite is Alaska's Wolfman about old Frank Glaser and written by the wonderful story teller Jim Reardon. I think I have three books about Bud Conkle and his wife LeNora and my Mom visited together often. I believe she is gone also. They lived about 20 miles down the road from my parents place on the Slana River. They bought some property from Harry Boyden, a grand old Englishman who guided for many years in the Wrangell's. He started guiding early in the 20th century. I am afraid his story is lost in time as most that knew him are gone.

Shadows of the Koyukuk is a good read about Jimmy Huntington and my wife and I visited him in Galena in 2007 after our Koyukuk moose hunt and had him autograph his book. He was friends with my wife's parents and was 91 then and is also gone. My wife's grandparents bought the house Jimmy's dad built in Nulato during the "gold rush" days. My wife's mom died early and her Dad was a Deputy U.S. Marshal covering a huge area on the Yukon River during Alaska's territory days and was gone a lot. So her and her sister and 3 cousins and 2 other kids all lived in that one room house for awhile with the grandparents. A bit crowded, but full of love.

James ".450 Watts" is a very good read about and Alaskan school teacher who landed in Valdez in 1936 and walked to Fairbanks on the Valdez Trail and later settled in Seward. His wife and him and her brother were very adventurous and would flat take a hike. Like walking cross country from Seward to Skilak and making brown bear jerky on the way! I know there is and has been all kinds of talk about who is responsible for the .450 Alaskan, .458 Lott and .458 Win. Reading his book has changed my mind on who should be getting credit for some of those big bores.

Yukon Trophies Won and Lost took place in Canada and Alaska and it is a favorite read. Damn tough men that loved to hunt. Jim Reardon has written many books on Alaska and it's men and women and he is and excellent story teller, ya can't go wrong with his stuff.

I miss "old Alaska",,,,

Sidney Huntington. Super nice man indeed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by yukonal
This is gonna get expensive...

I would like some more info on Phil's book endeavor, if Phil or someone else cares to fill me in.

Working on two of them as time between hunts allow.
And at least I can see a light at the end of both of them. Mostly need to line up,a few more historical photos and get information on a reliable printer

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Phil, pm coming.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 45 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,291
Posts18,467,947
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.