Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jberry Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
My college daughter has a Canon 60D that she loves. We are going to Disney after Christmas and she mentioned that she might like a new lens to use while we are there. She is on a "college budget" so isn't looking for anything super expensive but would love suggestions on good option for dark/light, people/landscape, etc lenses.

If you know of any used deals she would be interested in that also. Thanks

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If she wants a lens just for the trip, consider renting. I’ve done several rentals with www.lensrentals.com and they’ve been very easy to work with.

A neat, inexpensive lens for the 60D is the Canon 40mm f2.8; makes for an easy to carry combination.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/870179-REG/Canon_40mm_f_2_8_EF_Pancake.html

J
jberry Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Great suggestion. I had never considered renting.

That 40mm is cool. Her camera is not full frame (I don't think) but that lens says full frame format. Will that be an issue or change anything?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might try KEH and B&D for used gear. Their prices are quite good, condition ratings extremely accurate, warranties, and they are good about shipping within an hour or two of ones making an order. Sounds like something in the 24 to 105 mm zoom or lesser range would suffice. That camera is probably a crop sensor, so a lens in that realm will probably be the equivalent of a 38 to maybe 168mm unit. About a 1.6 multiplier I think.

Might also try the sponsors of this thread (Camera Land NY). Don't know if they handle used gear or not, but they may have some inexpensive kit lenses available. Beware though, one can get into serious bucks for fast prime lenses.

If one Googles up other sources, also seek out some reviews of their organization. There are some shady folks out there.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/08/18.

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What lens does she have now?
I am in the store today from now until 5:00. Give me a call and we will do the best we can for a campfire member.
Knowing what she has will make it easier top suggest something

Joel

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The Canon 50mm STM f1.8 is a great little "walk around" lens. About $125

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by duckster
The Canon 50mm STM f1.8 is a great little "walk around" lens. About $125

That is a fantastic lens, but not what I would consider "versatile" for a walk-around lens at a place like Disney...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jberry

That 40mm is cool. Her camera is not full frame (I don't think) but that lens says full frame format. Will that be an issue or change anything?

The "aspect ratio" of Canon cameras in the XXD series is 1.4:1. The "1.4" is a 35mm film frame and the "1" is the sensor size is in the camera.

So a 40mm lens automatically "crops" the area outside the sensor. That is not a problem to the camera. But a 100mm lens would act like a 140mm lens in field of view. Some confuse this number with a better picture, but it is just a little bit of cropping from the beginning. The 40mm in question would act like a 56mm lens.

Which means the neat artifacts of the lens would be harder to use... but not impossible.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CameraLand
What lens does she have now?
I am in the store today from now until 5:00. Give me a call and we will do the best we can for a campfire member.
Knowing what she has will make it easier top suggest something

Joel

Most of my lenses came from Joel and he knows what he is talking about.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

The "aspect ratio" of Canon cameras in the XXD series is 1.4:1. The "1.4" is a 35mm film frame and the "1" is the sensor size is in the camera.

So a 40mm lens automatically "crops" the area outside the sensor. That is not a problem to the camera. But a 100mm lens would act like a 140mm lens in field of view. Some confuse this number with a better picture, but it is just a little bit of cropping from the beginning. The 40mm in question would act like a 56mm lens.

Which means the neat artifacts of the lens would be harder to use... but not impossible.

Don't believe that is correct info.

The sensor size native ratio (e.g. 3:2, 4:3, 16:9, 1:1 etc) for a canon APS+C and FF body is 3:2 (which is not directly related to the crop factor of 1.6x (e.g. 100mm lens becomes 160mm when used with a Canon crop sensor body).

Another note, a FF lens (e.g. EF) can be used on a APS-C body but a APS-C lens (EF-S) can not be used with a FF body.

Last edited by FAIR_CHASE; 12/18/18.
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
As mentioned above, Lensrental is a great company to deal with. I used to live about 5 minutes from their warehouse in Memphis. If you want an expensive lens for a short amount of time, then they are easy to deal with. Depending on how heavy a lens, the 24-105 and 24-70 top tier lenses would be my Disney choices, for a general, all around lens.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Don't believe that is correct info.

The sensor size native ratio (e.g. 3:2, 4:3, 16:9, 1:1 etc) for a canon APS+C and FF body is 3:2 (which is not directly related to the crop factor of 1.6x (e.g. 100mm lens becomes 160mm when used with a Canon crop sensor body).

Another note, a FF lens (e.g. EF) can be used on a APS-C body but a APS-C lens (EF-S) can not be used with a FF body.

Thank you for that correction! I have not kept up since my earlier Canon bodies and did not realize they were not fixed physically by the sensor.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Canon's APS-H sensor is the 1.4x,which is the 1D-Series bodies only...and happens to be my favorite of all their sensors. I MUCH prefer my 1D3 and 1D4,to the 1Ds bodies(Full Frame),in my larder.

The 17-40L is a great fit on an APS-C sensor...........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
APS-H sensor = 1.3x and has not been produced in many years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Canon's APS-H sensor is the 1.4x,which is the 1D-Series bodies only...and happens to be my favorite of all their sensors. I MUCH prefer my 1D3 and 1D4,to the 1Ds bodies(Full Frame),in my larder.

The 17-40L is a great fit on an APS-C sensor...........................

Agreed on both counts. If she only wants an EF-S lens, it is hard to beat, for the price, the EF-S 15-85. It's a pretty good lens for a non "L" lens.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
APS-H sensor = 1.3x and has not been produced in many years.

I fat fingered a key and only have a few......................

[Linked Image]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So do you like the APS-H because you don't want to spend so much time in post cropping?

I seem to always want full frame for the lenses I have.

J
jberry Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Have loved the info every is posting. I know so little, it has all been helpful.

She is going to borrow a lens from a friend for the trip. Someone talked her into their Canon 10-18mm lens. It had a great review on Ken Rockwells site. I have mixed ideas about his reviews but he certainly has reviewed a lot of equipment. We will see if it meets her needs. If not, Joel at Camerland has been awesome and was willing to make us several deals on lenses they have. I would recommend everyone try him if camera equipment is needed!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Canon 10-18mm (I own it) would not be in my top list of lens for a trip like that but it is a very lightweight lens and a starting point to help her decide what she may like. Also keep in mind that that lens will not work on a FF (APS-C only). If budget is a concern and if I were in her/your shoes, I would be looking for a used quality lens. I also do not put much stock in the big name online sites for reviews. Take a look on Youtube and look at many "reviews" to make your own educated consensus. https://photography-on-the.net/forum is an excellent site to look for info.

FWIW -- I own many lens from 10mm up to the 500mm F4 II and like all of these "if you could pick just one ABCD" thread, I would pick the 70-200mm F2.8 II (paired with a 7DII).

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
10-18 is going to be pretty wide for a "trip lens" A standard zoom would likely be more useful on a Disneyland trip for the various photos she might want to take

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (35, 280shooter, 14idaho, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,559 guests, and 701 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.