Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
2018 has been a pretty good year for me so far.

The weekend of Oct 20-21 I headed East to chase whitetails. The worst part of any traveling hunt is the traveling. In this case, going through Chicago on a Friday during rush hour with construction.

6 hours later, I was in a better place and ready to bowhunt. Here are some images and video of a successful weekend. The weather on Sat. morning was fantastic but by miday there was a front coming through bringing high winds and rain. The deer were on their feet early perhaps due to the upcoming foul weather and the early rutting activity.

I was able to take a buck with a 30 yard shot. The buck had been chasing a doe and offered me a quartering away shot. The arrow entered behind the front leg and exited in front of the far side shoulder. The Woodsman severed all the plumbing lines at the top of the heart. The buck ran into the doe as they both wanted to take the same exit route. The buck bounced off that encounter and ran in a circle returning him to my stand. (see video)

I spent over a year designing and testing this drop away rest. So far, in 2018 Ive been able to use it to take 7 species in 6 states this year.

The knife in the pic below is perhaps one of the most well traveled knives in the bowhunting world. Its a traveling knive program I created and this this knife has been with many bowhunters on just about every continent over the last few years. Its back hunting with me for 2018.

[Linked Image]

This old bowhunter is having a pretty good year so far.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The buck weighed 185 pounds dressed with an estimated live weight of 215 pounds.

[Linked Image]

Ive started the euro mount and the 165 grain woodsman head is already re-honed and back in the quiver ready for another hunt.

[Linked Image]

Some video footage. A sharp and well placed broadhead is an amazing thing. This deer bleeds out on camera.

Last edited by sharp_things; 10/22/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice deer and a great hit - congrats!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a great buck ! That broadhead does a number on a deer.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nice deer and I have that same exact knife.

Fück Joe byron
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great buck and pics, congrats. Have to ask is that a Case Hunter?

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Excellent outcome on that shot. Well done.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Never gets old, always exciting! That one must have had your blood pumping!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good score and hope he was good eating. I've been using the qad Exodus head this year but Mar try a head like the one you used next season.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great buck. Cool video. Nothing beats the eternal dirt nap on a good buck! Congrats.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
very nice buck ! I prefer hand sharpened broadheads too, I still use Zwickey Eskimos with bleeders

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Broadheads have worked well for us since the late 70s. Don't get to use em as much as we would like lately, but that's life.

Being amazed at how well they work is usually what the gun hunters say if they don't bowhunt.

Like hunting to much to ever limit ourselves to a single weapon.

COC heads work well, but a sharp blade in the right place does its work well enough. In the wrong place, well its no differnet than a bullet in the wrong place.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on a great buck and some great video... And thanks for posting that.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (10gaugeman, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 36 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,390
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.