Print Thread
Hop To
J
JMB Fan Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Interested in hearing impressions of the Ruger Single Six .22LR/.22Mag HUNTER. GOOD? BAD?? UGLY???
Thanks

Thank our servicemen and women for their sacrifices.
Thank John M. Browning for his firearms inventions.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Love mine, old eyes. I was going to scope it for my older eyes, but the rear blade having a vee and front gold bead I didn’t need to- at least for now.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Barbarossa: Do you consider your Hunter to be an accurate weapon?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Very

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Barbarossa: Awesome, thanks.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I like mine. I put a 4x scope on it
But dang it is heavy [s][/s]
I don’t use the 22mag cylinder much.
It is more accurate than I can shoot
The big advantage i see of the hunter version is the ease of mounting a scope.

If you are shooting it with open sights I would not buy the hunter version

Last edited by Hairtrigger; 11/18/18.

I am one gun away from happy
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks Hairtrigger for your input. I just bought a used one after a year long search. It also sports a 4x. Hoping to test it out tomorrow, weather permitting.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Your gong to love it!

I am one gun away from happy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine was made in 1975, looks minty, has both cylinders. The guy died. I could see how much to pay with widow for the gun.... the holster was a little harder to price. It is a Triple K 40 6-16. They are ~ $250 new. It looks minty, but how much do holsters sell for used?

[Linked Image]

I dunno.
I gave her $400. I figured that was more than the pawn shop would give her and a little less than they would charge me.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JMB Fan
Interested in hearing impressions of the Ruger Single Six .22LR/.22Mag HUNTER. GOOD? BAD?? UGLY???

I've had two.

The first didn't shoot for dog crap. I ran my regular bevy of test ammo, .22LR and .22 Mag, through it with a 2-7X scope and nothing passed muster so I sold it. That was probably nearly 10 years ago.

I like the idea, like the features, so after punting a .22 rifle I was not real happy with, I picked up another toward the end of this past summer. The longer story is I had ca$h in pocket and went in to order it. Midway between late breakfast and a movie with my new-ish GF. I did the paperwork. When we got to the checkout, she "made" me put my cash away and wrote a check for it ... happy birthday, she said. (Is this the difference between GF and wife?) I got it home, then over the next few nights after work I did a trigger job and took it to the range to sight it in. I haven't done a really formal test of loads, new-ish GFs have a downside in the way of wanting your time, but it was scaring the crap out of half inch at 25 yards with CCI Mini Mag HPs just sighting in. Seemed a fair bit better with .22 LR than with .22 Mag. I took it out to my GF's place and killed the [bleep] out of a couple ground squirrels that were pissing her off. It's a little quieter than the TC 12" .410 barrel I'd been using.

So ... I'm not that fond of the brass bead front sight. It is fine at the range but I can't see it in dim light. Replacement front sights are difficult to find. I bought one of these:

https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com...%20Patridge%20Front%20Sight#.W_MoJ-Ih2Uk

I had to do a little filing on both sides and the bottom of the sight base to get it to slip into place. Also had to remove a bit of sight protruding past the muzzle. The screw comes out and the factory retainer ball hit the screw hole in the sight just perfect. I replaced the V notch blade with a Ruger square notch blade. I haven't had a chance to shoot it to be sure that it is the right height yet so no promises ... but it seems to be the only game in town. If it doesn't work I'll go back to the factory sights and leave it scoped.

For a while I had taken the sights off and had an older Simmons "Gold Medal" 2-7X on it (same as I used on the first gun). Great but it is too big to use with the iron sights. Since putting the new sights on the gun I've put a silver Leupold 2x I had laying around on it which fits fine. I think if the new iron sights work out, I'll choose those over the scope.

With a scope, or even with irons, it is a pretty heavy gun for "just a .22 pistol."

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Bought mine from a friend wo never shot it...had to be 10 years ago.... Extremely accurate with the Magnum cylinder and is the only S-S Convertible that I have owned that was almost as accurate with the Long Rifle cylinder.

With 4X Leupold scope...

[Linked Image]

No scope...

[Linked Image]

Replaced the V with a peep from One-Ragged-Hole...works good with the bead...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bianchi 1L for a SAA works just fine...

[Linked Image]

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
[Linked Image]

$25.00 holster off ebay...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The three oustde the group were sighters while zeroing...then 9 in a ragged hole...

[Linked Image]

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM

Bianchi 1L for a SAA works just fine...

[Linked Image]

I love those holsters.

I have them for two of my S&W revolvers and a similarly designed Hunter brand for my Single Six.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
RJM: Looks familiar. My hunter sports a Leupold 4x. My holster is similar to yours, but is camo instead of black. Great setup.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
TOM:
Thanks for posting your experiences with your Hunter. And thanks for posting your link to New England Custom Guns.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for reminding me. 6-7 years ago, I bought a SS Convertable Super Single Six and it has never been out of the box. I need to do something about that!

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.