Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I went out to a ranch to check some traps and snares on Wednesday. I had a few coyotes waiting for me but no bobcats...

[Linked Image]

The ranch manager had told me about a herd of elk that were seen on the portion of the ranch I have permission. I had looked for them at first light in another drainage but couldn't find them.

On the way home I was driving down the highway and found a herd of elk a couple miles off the road on a high bench below a rocky ridge. I debated on whether to go after them as I was supposed to be in the office that afternoon but decided not to pass up the chance to kill elk when they are in a good location for stalking and an even better location for recovery. I texted some co-workers and told them I was not going to make it in to work. I was able to drive several miles around the elk so I could come up behind them on the ridge overlooking their bench. I could have driven pretty close but I had my hounds with me and was afraid they would start howling and spook the elk so I parked over a mile away. I had to walk about 1.5 miles in crusty snow but the terrain was favorable and the elk were bedded for the afternoon so I knew I had time. The wind was oddly out of the east which gave me a perfect setup as it covered both my scent and my noise...

[Linked Image]

In the picture above is 100+ elk from around 250 to just over 300 yards away. It is a mix of 15-20 small to medium sized bulls and a bunch of cows. They were mostly bedded except for some calves in the middle of the herd so I waited a while until a large cow on the edge of the herd stood up and gave me a broadside shot right at 300 yards.

At the report, she looked like the 180 TTSX had found its mark so I quickly found another cow that was willing to hang around for a few seconds while the herd started moving out. She was quartering to me and I held to stay just off the shoulder. She took the hit and looked like she was hit hard as she went over the hill.

The herd had gone over the hill out of sight but reappeared about 1/2 mile away in open country. I watched for a while to see if any looked wounded or were wanting to separate from the herd. Everything looked healthy so I assumed my cows were just over the hill and down.

After picking my way through the rocks I got to the bench and peaked over the hill. The first cow had been hit well and only made it about 50 yards before piling up.

[Linked Image]

The second cow had also only gone about 50 yards but her head was still up so I gave her a finisher and she had the good manners to kick a few times and roll a couple hundred yards down the hill closer to where I could drive my truck...

[Linked Image]

An autopsy on cow #1 showed good heart damage. Cow #2 was hit a bit further back then I would have liked but I hit part of a lung and liver. She was not going anywhere but I am glad I was able to get a second shot into her to hasten the process.

I was not real familiar with that section of the ranch so after gutting the cows and getting back to the truck I made the decision to come back the next day to find a good trail in when I had lots of daylight.

I took my oldest boy out of school and we looked for the herd but only saw a few bulls. Since this is a cow only deal we just went to recover the elk so he could get back to school and I could get to work.

[Linked Image]

It sure made it easier having another hand to help run the come-along and keep things tight while I wrestled the cows into the pickup.

[Linked Image]

Elk is our favorite protein so it was a big relief to have two nice sized cows for the freezer after what proved to be a fairly slow general season. We still have three more tags in the house so hopefully I can get my wife and kids out sometime in the next couple months.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
This is a busy time of year for me as a small time fur buyer that mostly deals in unskinned coyotes. To be honest, I am glad we didn't find anymore elk with my son just yet as I have a lot of shop work and trying to butcher two elk in between dozens of coyotes and a full time job is a challenge.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gotta be happy when a hunt comes together like that - and for the elk to be nice enough to roll downhill as well - congrats on some fine eats!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Very nice!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations!

Where is a good place to shoulder hunt on a un filled regular tag?

Thanks!

BTW
Autopsy is a term used exclusively for human dissections!

Necropsy is what is done on animals!

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/07/18.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great work...

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very well done!

Public landowner...
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Success and the enjoyment of the great outdoors. Enjoy the fantastic elk meat!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats on the elk! That’s the way to fill freezers!

What were you shooting cartridge wise? Just started using the TTSX’s some so thank you for the shot specs.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lots of good eatin there!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Congrats, thanks for taking the time to take a few pics and sharing with us.

Last edited by claybreaker; 12/08/18.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great post and pics on your elk hunt, good eating for sure. I love hunting those yotes...don't trap much any more but call a few winter.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Busy man!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What are coyotes worth this year?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DLSguide

Same guy says anywhere from $0 to 60 on the hoof.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

It always brightens my day when a guy shoots an elk and it runs TOWARDS the truck.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Congratulations!

Where is a good place to shoulder hunt on a un filled regular tag?

Not trying to be evasive but honestly I don't think there is a good place to fill one unless you know somebody that will give you access. Although I benefited this year because I have some access in return for some beaver and predator control, in general, the shoulder seasons are kind of a tough deal. The landowners that allow lots of hunters tend to not have many elk

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
Congrats on the elk! That’s the way to fill freezers!

What were you shooting cartridge wise? Just started using the TTSX’s some so thank you for the shot specs.

I am shooting a .300 Win mag. My load is the 180 TTSX over 72 gr of RL22 with a Fed GM 215. Been using it the last few years and have killed deer, elk, bear, and coyotes with it. Zero complaints. My ruger was a consistent 1.5" gun with cup and core and bonded bullets. Switched to the TTSX and run right around 3/4 MOA now.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by DLSguide

Same guy says anywhere from $0 to 60 on the hoof.

$0-60 on the hoof will definitely catch the majority. Been buying lots in the $40-50 range but have paid as high as $80 so far. I wish the coyotes down here were as nice as your Hi-Line dogs SamOlson.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Great going! Thanks for sharing this!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
85 members (338reddog, 308ld, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.