Hop To
#13346886 12/09/18
G
gnoahhh Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
...but not from lack of trying. Last 8 days found me in my cousin's camp in northern PA (Cameron county). No cell reception, no internet, no TV, no nothin'- including no deer. Saw does, and a buck that I just couldn't tell if it met the PA antler requirements so it got a pass. The deer herd up there is mighty thin on the ground. We ate well, BS'ed even better, and that SOB did his best to kill me by running me up and down those friggin' mountains. (I ain't 60 anymore!)

Highlight of the trip: I had three cow elk mosey past me while I was watching a hollow that emptied into Sinnamahoning Creek. And me with a .250-3000 (and no elk tag)! (That and the 16 episodes of "Andy Griffith Show" we watched over and over due to the Direct TV dish being compromised. That was the only GD'ed DVD in the camp...)

Yesterday I scampered into "my spot" in the Maryland mountains for a last hurrah. Nothing to shoot at.

I really thought the "new" M1899 .250-3000, second variation, would bring good ju-ju this year. Oh well, there's always McDonald's. I really wanted to make those hills ring with "The Spiteful Crack of the .250-3000". (My thanks to Jim Bashline.)

Last edited by gnoahhh; 12/09/18.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry to hear that, but 8 days out in deer camp is far better than 8 days working!

Cool on the elk. Getting a decent elk herd established out there? I had a bachelor bull on trailcam on my land last January.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes, PA has done a wonderful job re-establishing elk in the state. The heard is steadily growing. No general season for them yet, but they do issue permits based on a lottery drawing.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm sure the new 250 will pick the right time and place to make its mark. And I'm sure it will be spectacular. Just have patience and in the meantime you might want to take that AGS DVD out and shoot it, and hang its stuffed head over the fire place!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bummer Gary. But getting together with friends/family at camp is the real plus. And there is a bright side ... if you had no internet connection or TV you did not have to listen to, or watch, Army beat Navy. grin

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It ain’t over yet. Still have the 3 day season in January. I’m hoping to be hopping around by then. All I need is one with the 303 to complete the slam.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Joe, if the doc said no driving for four weeks how are you going to go deer hunting in early January? Am I going to have to push you around the woods in a wheel chair? grin

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Gary drag him with a sled! grin Joe hope your doing well! Dont feel to bad Gary, I hunted 12 days out of our 15 day season, only saw 13 deer, and of them only one buck, a dandy spike, but we have a 3pt of better deal here, im not a fan, and didnt see any does where my tag was good for. even swaped the 250 for the 22HP the Last 3 trips out! at Least I got a buck & doe in Bow season!

Last edited by saddlering; 12/10/18.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
He didn’t say I couldn’t walk out side. I’m doing that already. I just can’t drive. I’ll hitch hike to the farm. It’s only about ten miles. That’s the same farm I got the nice 8 pointer the year I got my left knee done. Besides, got the knee done December 4 th, the 3day season is after January 4th. Should be good to go.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Uh huh.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had the same result hunting out of the Brooks Run Cabin in Sinnemahoning SP Gary. Didn't go out opening day, rained as you know. Saw elk, eagles, does down by the dam. Had a deer sneak up on me on the other side of the dam, it snorted, I liked to crap my drawers as I was pointed in the opposite direction. By the time I got turned around just saw its butt back in the trees. Don't know if it was a buck or not. Did get up to the Case/Zippo museum in Bradford on Monday since the weather didn't cooperate.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, Steve, Monday sure sucked. Thank goodness it was the one day I carried the M70 '06 and not the .250-3000. We'll have to compare notes next summer- it sounds like we were fairly close to each other.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Weren't too far apart sounds like. Next summer it is.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Joe,

I had my Grandson hunting in your neck of the woods with my 250 Savage and like most of you, he will have to wait for the late January season.

Doc

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Aw shucks. I was hoping you would post a photo of a large rack humbling us all.
No electronic tether to society, good food, good company, Andy Griffith, sounds like a good time. You can say what we say in Detroit every year about the Tigers. "Next Year".
(I take quite a bit of negative feed back from the family for my love of watching Andy Griffith shows I've probably seen 35-40 times over. I think I am some sort of kin to Otis :D)

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good old Otis. The town drunk who happens to be the only main character who is married.

Coincidence???? whistle grin

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by oldotter
Aw shucks. I was hoping you would post a photo of a large rack humbling us all.
No electronic tether to society, good food, good company, Andy Griffith, sounds like a good time. You can say what we say in Detroit every year about the Tigers. "Next Year".
(I take quite a bit of negative feed back from the family for my love of watching Andy Griffith shows I've probably seen 35-40 times over. I think I am some sort of kin to Otis :D)

Pictures of large racks in all forms are always appreciated. As for the AGS, well I guess there's a good reason why it hasn't left syndication since the day the show was canceled. It just stays popular.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I think I shall save my nickels and go iguana hunting in Florida next year. That or give my rifle to Jerry and ask him to go kill something with it for me whilst I sit with my feet propped in front of the fire with a big Irish coffee in my mitts. After the rain on Monday it snow flurried on Tuesday and colder than a witches you-know-what the rest of the time. The deer were probably huddled in The Deer Cave roasting marshmallows and laughing at us on their Hunter Cams.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ah don't kid yourself. The deer were watching Andy Griffith too. I'm sure the 250 will get its chance to shine and when it does it will probably be glorious!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,920 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.