Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Here is what I did....I bought my lathe first....then bought reamers as the jobs come...the first job for that reamer was just going to pay for the reamer..after 10 years I had a full stock...after about 3 years I had enough money to buy a bridgport and many other tools as needed...it was all financed out of pocket with my day job...never figured to make a living at it just love to do it...
Originally Posted by Jericho
Finding parts for obsolete guns can be a pain in the neck. Some customers show up the night before deer season and want an old firearm repaired and assume you have all of the parts just laying around in your shop. Sometimes finding original parts can take a very long time, and sometimes you never find them.

I agree ...they think it like fixing there truck...and parts come from Napa...that's why I avoid general repair work...And shotguns..it actually eats up more time looking for parts than the actual fix...I'll fix stuff only for good customers as a favor that understand...

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have talked to a couple of gunsmiths that told me they make more money mounting scopes and cleaning guns than repairing them. Some people amaze me the way they assume that there is a warehouse down the street that has an unlimited amount of spare parts for Arisakas, Enfields, etc.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have talked to a couple of gunsmiths that told me they make more money mounting scopes and cleaning guns than repairing them. Some people amaze me the way they assume that there is a warehouse down the street that has an unlimited amount of spare parts for Arisakas, Enfields, etc.
The biggest money maker for me when I was doing general gunsmithing was drilling/tapping shotguns and mounting scopes on them. Takes about 10-15 minutes to drill and tap 4 holes and I got 10.00 per hole back then. That was in a shotgun zone for deer back in the days before rifled and cantilevered slug barrels. Also made quite a bit cutting down bird barrels and mounting rifle sights on them.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I always thought it would be fun to be a farmer.
How do I get started?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by whelennut
I always thought it would be fun to be a farmer.
How do I get started?
Buy a thousand acres (at $7,000.00+/acre), then you'll need 2-3 million dollars for basic equipment, and only another $350,000.00 or so for seed/fertilizer/weed control.....

Then pray you get some decent weather... Piece of cake..

Last edited by Redneck; 12/06/18.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Ok I've narrowed it down to either a rock star, or a motocross racer.
Then after I retire I will open up a gunsmithing shop.
I will specialize in general repair and charge $125.00 per hr.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Having a "hobby" "gunsmith" working on your rifles is akin to having your dentist do your knee replacement!

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jimy
Having a "hobby" "gunsmith" working on your rifles is akin to having your dentist do your knee replacement!

laugh laugh

Lemme tell ya a story about a customer of mine about ten years ago. Called me up to ask if I could put iron sights on his rifle (can't recall the model).. He brought it in and I told him it'd be ready by tomorrow.. He said he brought it to Gander Mountain (at the time) and they were going to do it there. He asked how they would install them. GM "gunsmith" said, "we just 'eye-ball' them"..

He grabbed the rifle and left... I just LMAO when he told me that..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I got a kick out of customers who would buy a scope and new rifle from one of the big department stores and then ask us to mount it for them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Hey what's 45 or 50 thousand psi, six inches away from your grey matter?

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a couple of lathes and a mill all dro, a small surface grinder and everything to build a rifle from scratch....including a stock duplicator.

I make my living as a hydromechanic. It pays better and more consistent than guns. I have a pile of money wrapped up in this stuff and my "plan" is to be able to retire and make a supplemental income.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

384 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 260madman, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 38 invisible), 1,803 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,379
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.