Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
So I decided to give it a try and am heading to the range in a couple weeks to sight in my muzzleloader. I am shooting a TC Triumph with a Leupold 3-9x Ultimate Slam. The sabots I’m gonna use are the 300 grain Barnes Expandables. I was wondering if anyone out there had a good load to start at for accuracy. I’m gonna use the Federal 209A primers as well. Any pointers would be appreciated, the smoke pole is gonna be used on whitetail for late season here in Iowa, thanks!

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
100gr is my standard load, but 80gr punched 300gr XTPs through several deer for my sons. Of about a half dozen shot with 290gr T-EZ Barnes bullets, the only recovered one was from a frontal shot that lodged in the spine between the shoulders. That was an 80gr charge too. Really, I think it's mostly about what proves accurate in your gun and maybe just a bit about trajectory. Power is sufficient at any normal charge level. I've had excellent luck with Harvester Crush-Rib sabots, though I think the ones on the Barnes bullets are MMPs. CCI magnum primers are what I prefer, but others have worked well too. Your rifle will tell you what it likes; and shooting it is the only way to find out.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I started using Blackhorn 209 a few years ago. I use 81.5 grains by weight with a 338 grain Powerbelt Platinum bullet. In December 2016 I shot a big Iowa buck with that combination. I was very happy with the results. The best thing about Blackhorn to me is that you can shoot a fouling shot and then hunt all week without worry about bore corrosion. Also, it cleans up with Hoppes #9 instead of water based cleaners. By the way, I'm going to Iowa again in 5 weeks for the last week of muzzleloader season.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As soon as I can locate some in stock I am going to give it a whirl. I really like the idea of spending more time shooting and can leave a bore fouled without ruining a barrel.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's why I love the BH209! When I get home from a successful ML hunt the last thing I want to do is have to clean my rifle.

I bought my TC Impact used. The guy that sold it to me was a jerk who could barely box it up for shipping(lost stock spacer). The bore was cruddy with corrosive powder and is pitted as a result. I decided to keep the gun since the price was low. It shoots great with BH209. I hunted a lot with it last hunting season and killed three deer, two feral cats and a 'yote. I still haven't cleaned it and I'm not the least bit worried with the BH209.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I wish you guys luck that think BH209 is not corrosive. Its far less but its fouling certainly is corrosive.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm been real happy with BH209.... My progression has been Pyrodex (loose) >> 777 (loose) >> BH209 (loose) with no thought of backing up.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Blackhorn 209 is a very good powder. I just dont want the OP to think he can avoid cleaning it like a centerfire. You can easily go much longer than with other subs and real black. Unfired it can stay loaded a very long time without corrosion worries.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My Knight grew some brown schit under the DBC at the muzzle, possibly because the DBC was breached by the jag we used. I got it out, and the gun still shoots the same, but it gave me a bad time for a bit. So, I think it's wise to at least swab out the bore with a little break-free or something if letting it sit for more than a couple of days, even over a load left in. If only a touch is used and then wiped out immediately, shouldn't hurt anything. My new rifle is nitrided and much easier to unload and clean properly, so won't be left loaded more than a day or so.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just got back from checking my rifle for the muzzleloader opener next week. 80.8 grs weighed 209, Federal 209 A primer w/Barnes 250 gr. TMZ in a Harvester crush rib sabot. 2 shots touching @ 100 yds. Good enough to make meat for me.

PASS IT ON!
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks guys! I planned on running a patch every shot, just because that’s what I’m used to doing. I mainly bought it because I heard it had less smoke, which I can’t stand with triple 7 and heard it was cleaner, both wins in my book. I will start around 80 grains and go up. One thing I heard was to measure by volume, not weight. Is this the case as well? Thanks again!

Last edited by hawkman0206; 11/30/18.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
I started using Blackhorn 209 a few years ago. I use 81.5 grains by weight with a 338 grain Powerbelt Platinum bullet. In December 2016 I shot a big Iowa buck with that combination. I was very happy with the results. The best thing about Blackhorn to me is that you can shoot a fouling shot and then hunt all week without worry about bore corrosion. Also, it cleans up with Hoppes #9 instead of water based cleaners. By the way, I'm going to Iowa again in 5 weeks for the last week of muzzleloader season.

Ron

Hey Ron,
Congrats on the big Iowa buck! Where in Iowa are you heading this year? The rut this fall was outstanding, I missed my shot at a monster 160" plus buck on a DIY public hunt November 3rd, which I'm still aching about. Ended my bow season with a chunky doe. I mainly hunt in Northeastern Iowa, as that's where I'm from. Best of luck!

Steve

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I would not swab with anything water based when using Blackhorn. If you want to try a good mix for swabbing it use 50/50 Hoppes and 91% rubbing alcohol. Very lightly damp patch too....and i mean lightly. Personally i find it a waste of time when shooting sabots. Helps a little when shooting sabotless but if you size the bullet right its not really needed.

Remember to clean up when you are done with a centerfire solvent like Hoppes #9. Ballistol works great too if you dont mind the smell of anise. Push a dry patch or 2 through the bore first with the plug removed. Then use your solvent. Makes things quicker and less patches.

Last edited by Overkill45; 11/30/18.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hawkman0206, Sorry for the delay. I've been kind of busy lately. I'm headed to Chariton Iowa in Lucas County. My 2016 buck was a 175" gross bruiser. It will be hard to top him. I recently switched to Hornady 250 grain Monoflex ML bullets with Blackhorn. They grouped way better in my rifle.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
100gr is my standard load, but 80gr punched 300gr XTPs through several deer for my sons. Of about a half dozen shot with 290gr T-EZ Barnes bullets, the only recovered one was from a frontal shot that lodged in the spine between the shoulders. That was an 80gr charge too. Really, I think it's mostly about what proves accurate in your gun and maybe just a bit about trajectory. Power is sufficient at any normal charge level. I've had excellent luck with Harvester Crush-Rib sabots, though I think the ones on the Barnes bullets are MMPs. CCI magnum primers are what I prefer, but others have worked well too. Your rifle will tell you what it likes; and shooting it is the only way to find out.

My experience is very similar. 100 gr load under 300 gr XTPs, CCI magnum primers, but use the smooth Harvester sabots. The smooth give me slightly better 3-shot groups, but not by much. Plenty of punch on any deer sized game and passed thru both hogs I've shot with it. Best thing is that XTPs are so cheap to buy in bulk compared to any of the pre-packaged offerings.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot 100gr of BH with the 295pb in mine. if you can find them try a rio 209 primer. with all other primers I get crud buildup in the canal in my breechplug. rio fixes that problem.i can shoot mine 10 times and run 3 dry patches thru the bore and it clean.

I shortened the barrel on my triumph to 21" shoots really good and elimates the QLA

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Just got into ML this season using a friends ML. Went out a bought a TC Impact and starting to put stuff together, will start out with BH powder and want to go with as low a charge as effective for eastern whitetails ranging from 20-150 yards.
I'd appreciate any recommendations on preferred loads and any other tips e.g. what is really needed vs just something cool for the ditty bag. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ewms; 12/27/18.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
In my Impact along with BH209 at just 70gr by volume I use Hornady 45cal. (.452) 250gr HP/XTP's with Harvester Crush Rib (black) sabots and Federal 209A primers. VERY accurate with good performance on whitetails. BH209 works best when compacted well. I give the load 5 firm hits with the ramrod. This combo of components was recommended by numerous shooters. In fact except for the use of red sabots instead of black the same load works just as well in my SIL's CVA Wolf.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have been using Bh209 for several years. Clean it after shooting or your barrel will rust. I don't think it is corrosive but I think the residue absorbs and holds moisture.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm planning on evaluating a return to BP in my current inline, a Strike, once the weather warms up. It's been a while since I used any, but a session with my Renegade got me interested in the real deal again. With the easy access to the breech and Ballistol, cleanup should be a snap. Long range isn't part of my ML schtick, so the higher velocities of the substitutes isn't a big deal. Gonna get me some Old Eynsford.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
479 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 42 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.