24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Savage didn't make all the guns I need, plain and simple.

My coyote calling rifle is a rotary magazine 22-250 DL but with a wide flat forearm. It has one of those new Savage 99 barrels that came out a few years ago. Took it for a two day camping trip and a long walk in the desert. It seems right at home and quite happy about the situation. smile I think we can be friends.

Had some freezing fog in the daytime making navigation by sight impossible. Thank God for Mr. Garmin because there was no finding camp in the fog without it. It was down to about zero at night so it's not stayin out away from camp weather. Camped next to a dead and down juniper so I had a nice big hot fire.

[Linked Image]

Two days hard hunting, saw 14 coyotes. The only dumb coyote I could find came in on my extreme right, almost out of sight and stopped at about 100 yards, and the rifle was facing left on my lap. He had me pinned down so all I could do was wait. He kept looking around like he wasn't alone, but I couldn't spot anyone else. Each time I thought he was distracted enough for me to spin around and get on him his head snapped right back on me. For you guys that have never hunted coyotes they can hear the rustling of your clothing from 100 yards and spot you blinking. I did some lip kisses and he started in. When he let his guard down for a few seconds I spun around and got the gun up. When he popped back up in view he was broadside facing left, still looking for someone else I guess. He probably shoulda been paying a liiiiittle bit better attention to the situation at hand, I think.

He was right behind a barb wire fence and had one strand over his vitals. If I wanted to hit that barbwire it'd take the entire magazine and I wouldn't touch it, so I let'er rip. Well, that barbwire instantly became the size of a bus, and I sure enough hit it. He took off like a lightning bolt and was at Mach 2 when I lit him up and finally rolled him on the fourth shot. My last good opportunity before he was gone! Turned out to be 220 yards when he rolled.

I never saw who he was looking for. You never got em all. They run in big packs out here, but normally come in in a line for whatever reason. I always figgered it had to do with pecking order, and short straws. grin

Had a hell of a time following the blood trail

[Linked Image]

A 22-250 makes quite a mess on the off side

[Linked Image]

The hunts over, I'm home, and gloating a little bit about the rifle. this is my first kill with it, and I gotta say I really like it. If I could change anything it would be weight, it is a bit heavy for all day carry. Maybe I need a featherweight? I was really bundled up and carrying lots of other gear, so maybe that was the cause of my discomfort. Felt good to get it all off when I got back. That's about it for the 22-250 coyote hunting report. Cheers.

Last edited by Fireball2; 12/10/18.

LOL
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good job! Good Monday morning entertainment grin

My Dad was also able to hit that single strand of barb wire. Went from a bang-flop to an all-day chase but we got him.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Good job! Good Monday morning entertainment grin

My Dad was also able to hit that single strand of barb wire. Went from a bang-flop to an all-day chase but we got him.

That whole damn desert and there's one strand of wire in the wrong place at the wrong time. Go figger.

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The deer I got on my friends farm, 3 years ago, tried to hide behind a multi strand copper high tension line. Every time I tried to get the cross hairs on its shoulder, the horizontal line got kind of fuzzy and green. I finally took the scope down and staired at it. Then I realized I was so high up on the hill the high tension lines were below me. He finally walked out into the clearing.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 12/10/18.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Remington standardized the 22-250 in 1966 iirc, after Savage went to stamped checkering. Savage didn't build any 22-250's until sometime around 1980, and only in the C. A cut checkered (pre-65) DL in 22-250 was my dream gun for coyote calling.

LOL
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrads on the Yote! thats a good way to have 22-250 99, build it your self! wish I had your Talent!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good show, Roy! If I were in your shoes under those circumstances I would want the exact same gun. A fella could make a good case for it being an all-around varmint/deer gun too, with good stout premium bullets for the deer part of the equation. Heck, it would make a dandy squirrel rifle too, stoked with 50 grain cast bullets over a smidgen of pistol powder. Think of it as a substitute for a .22 HiPower for all-around use.

The only thing I would change would be the 0º camping. In that respect you're a better man than I am Gunga Din!!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 12/10/18.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
On the buck that I shot with the bow this year he stopped perfectly broadside to me about 8 yards from the bottom of my tree. It was a wide open shot except for one grape vine about the size of 3/8" piece of re-rod hanging across his chest. I held a little to the right and released. I caught that grape vine right dead center with the broadhead (clipped it clean) and the arrow fell harmlessly between the bucks legs. If I would have stood in that tree all day and shot at that grape vine I couldn't have hit it with 100 arrows. He looked up at me and saw me standing in the tree with a look of total disbelief on my face about what had just happened. Lucky for me he was so love struck that he just continued walking and I was able to get another arrow nocked and back to full draw, but he was in the thick stuff. There was one window that I thought I might be able to get an arrow in and I bleated and stopped him. I put the sight on him, vines all around his vitals but I could see some daylight and hair so I figured what the heck and let it go. That one made it through without touching a thing and landed in the chest right behind his front elbow.

First arrow was the unluckiest arrow I ever loosed, the second arrow might have been the luckiest ever in 30 years of bow hunting.

Go figure.

That's hunting.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 99guy
On the buck that I shot with the bow this year he stopped perfectly broadside to me about 8 yards from the bottom of my tree. It was a wide open shot except for one grape vine about the size of 3/8" piece of re-rod hanging across his chest. I held a little to the right and released. I caught that grape vine right dead center with the broadhead (clipped it clean) and the arrow fell harmlessly between the bucks legs. If I would have stood in that tree all day and shot at that grape vine I couldn't have hit it with 100 arrows. He looked up at me and saw me standing in the tree with a look of total disbelief on my face about what had just happened. Lucky for me he was so love struck that he just continued walking and I was able to get another arrow nocked and back to full draw, but he was in the thick stuff. There was one window that I thought I might be able to get an arrow in and I bleated and stopped him. I put the sight on him, vines all around his vitals but I could see some daylight and hair so I figured what the heck and let it go. That one made it through without touching a thing and landed in the chest right behind his front elbow.

First arrow was the unluckiest arrow I ever shot, the second arrow might have been the luckiest ever in 30 years of bow hunting.

Go figure.

That's hunting.

Holy cow! grin

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2

First arrow was the unluckiest arrow I ever shot, the second arrow might have been the luckiest ever in 30 years of bow hunting.

Go figure.

That's hunting.

Holy cow! grin

Roy:

Wasn't trying to hijack your thread with my story. Just sharing a similar experience.

Back to Roy's coyote and 22-250

Carry on.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Go figure.

That's hunting.

Holy cow! grin

Roy:

Wasn't trying to hijack your thread with my story. Just sharing a similar experience.

Back to Roy's coyote and 22-250

Carry on.

Get outa here, my threads never stay on topic. Come one come all! I bowhunted for 20 years I get it.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I wasn't going to continue off subject with my experience but since Roy gave us permission.
For some reason I took my AYA double 3" 12 gauge deer hunting instead of my EG 300 when I was a teenager hunting the Ocala National Forest. I was in a tree stand when a deer came running up and stopped behind a pine tree about 30' away. I thought to myself, all right! meat in the freezer. His shoulder was just to the left of the pine so I sighted down the left barrel at his shoulder and pulled a trigger. The deer took off like a shot. I was so astounded that he didn't drop dead I didn't even fire the second barrel. I got down out of the stand to look for blood. Nothing. So I looked at the tree. I counted 14 holes in the tree. A 3" magnum holds 15 00 buck. I tracked him for a ways hoping the the other buckshot got him. No blood and he was running so fast his hooves were really tearing up the ground. The 15th buckshot probably followed another one into the same hole. When I opened the shotgun I saw that I had pulled the wrong trigger and fired the right barrel. The lesson here is if I had used my 99 I wouldn't have shot the damn tree. I don't think I hunted deer again with the shotgun.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
a little salt and pepper and those Oaks don't taste too bad David! grin
14 buck , thats a dead right there tree!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oaks don't taste too bad but I could never acquire a taste for pine. The tree was still alive a few years later. The area was timbered a few years after I went in the Navy. I wonder what the sawmill guys thought when they hit that load of buckshot. It may have gone to the pulp mill. Leaded paper?

Last edited by wyo1895; 12/12/18.

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
i had a portable sawmill for a while. used to slice through large cal bullets regularly. i have a beam in my house with a sectioned 58cal round ball front and center. wife looked cross eyed when i put it in and suggested removing the half ball. i just looked at her and varathaned over it.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A dead pine I cut last year for firewood had several large caliber lead bullets near the base where I made the angle cuts to fell the tree. I almost had a kitten when I saw the shinny metal in the wedge. I wondered why the chain saw didn't buck, throw the chain or otherwise go crazy until I realized the metal was lead and not steel. My first thought was the eco-terrorist who were spiking redwoods with steel spikes in the Pacific Northwest a number of years ago. This was to make it extremely dangerous for lumber jacks whose job it was to fell the trees.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
841 members (12344mag, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 3,238 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,712
Posts18,400,249
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.