Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm set up for my last, bucket list safari in September 2019. I want this to be a classic hunt and so plan for a practical 2-rifle battery - how's that for a rifle loony oxymoron? I'm looking for input on the 2nd rifle.

Plan is for a tuskless elephant, a sable, warthog, and mature bull giraffe. If the last animal were not on the list I would very likely take the 300 WSM I've used routinely as a light rifle. But except for a neck shot, I don't fully trust the 180 Nosler PPT I use in the 300 WSM to deliver on a chest shot on the giraffe. Especially because of the likely shoulder shot.

The heavy rifle for the tuskless, is a bolt action Ruger RSM chambered for 450 Rigby.

I'm considering either a 375H&H or a 338 Win Mag for the 2nd rifle slot. Both are Win M-70 pre-64s, so no concern on the functional side. I'd be overgunned with the 375 on everything I'll hunt with the medium, except for the giraffe. I also want to make sure than in the unlikely event I need to stretch the shot on the sable, the 2nd rifle will deliver. I'm OK with either the 375 or 338 to reach out to 300 yds off shooting sticks if needed (prefer and anticipate much closer).

I'm probably overthinking this and splitting hairs. However I would appreciate thoughts from the experienced.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

BP-B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
What I've experienced is you are overthinking. The .375 with 270-grain premium bullets.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 375 is usually the Elephant Minimum. I would make sure both rifles are legal for Elephant in case one fails?

Last edited by Slider1; 12/09/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Slider1
The 375 is usually the Elephant Minimum. I would make sure both rifles are legal for Elephant in case one fails?

OR you have the wrong one in your hands when an opportunity presents itself.
And over thinking it is half the fun.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
375 for reasons stated.

Do or do not, there is no try.
IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am in the 375 camp.

Here is another thought.
You can certainly take the 300 WSM, and just use the 450 Rigby on giraffe along with elephant.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Having 2 rifles is a very good way-to have the wrong rifle in your hands at the wrong time....KISS . Take a .375.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Both rifles will be at hand simultaneously. When we are hunting elephant, the 450 will be in my hands and the 2nd rifle will be in the hands of a tracker. The 2 hunts will take place in different areas, so the problem of wrong rifle at the wrong time is not an issue.

I’m not concerned about having to use the 2nd rifle on elephant, though the 375 is legal for that purpose. I’m not planning to use the 375 - if that’s what I decide on - on elephant as I don’t plan to load solids in the 2nd rifle.

My main question is about the adequacy of the 338 with a 225 grain Swift A-Frame or TSX on the giraffe bull. The 375 with a 270 or 300 TSX will work on any of the PG animals.

CRS, that is an option I’m considering, because the shot at the giraffe is likely to be inside 100 yds.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 12/09/18. Reason: Spelling

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I would personally use the 450 on the Giraffe and take a 338 for the your other plains game. If you had to in a pinch you could try the 338 on the Giraffe but I personally found them to require quite a lot of killing(only have hunted one). Ask your PH about bullets on the Giraffe, mine wanted solids all the way, keep shooting as long as you can, he said. I am going to try a 2 gun safari next July in the Bubye for Buffalo, Giraffe and plains game. Stopping by Kowas safaris in Namibia for a double 5 day cull hunt on the way home. Taking 2 custom pre 64 Win's in 416 Rem and 338 Win Mag. You are right about one thing for sure, your overthinking it just like the rest of us, but that is half the fun. You could just take the old 375 and do it all.

Good luck and have a ball

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No personal experience, however I do have an opinion!

You could use your 300WSM with Barnes TSX or TTSX, Nosler E-Tips, Hornady GMX and have no problems with a neck shot on giraffe. Check Africa Hunting.com. Seems lighter rifles are used quite regularly on giraffe for neck shots.

Otherwise, I vote for the 338WM with a mono bullet listed above or the Swift A-frame or a Woodleigh.

IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have shot exactly one giraffe,an old female,she was the biggest in her group,I had two rifles that trip,a Krieghoff double rifle in 500/416 & a Dakota African in 338 Lapua,I used the 338 on the giraffe,the load was Tsx 250 gr @ 2750,range was about 125 yrds,I opted for a heart shot,she took off at the shot,but was down within maybe 40-50 yrds,no more shots needed,I have killed a lot of game with that load,hit's like a hammer.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You could do way worse than a good .375, either H&H or Ruger, with 250 Barnes TTSX or 270 gr. TSX bullets. In fact, for what you have on your list, a single rifle, with 270 gr. TSX bullets, would handle everything nicely.

Four years ago, my safari included everything from the little Springbok to and African lion. I handloaded the 250 gr. Barnes TTSX, and used it on Springbok, Black Wildebeest, Sable, and the big cat. It worked perfectly on everything, with shots at the Springbok and Wildebeest well over 200 yards, in open country. With a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 scope, it was capable of very close-in shots at the lowest setting, and accurate longer range shots at 8x.

If you don't already have it, Craig Boddington's book, Safari Rifles II, is highly entertaining and informative reading on the subject.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by AB2506
No personal experience, however I do have an opinion!

You could use your 300WSM with Barnes TSX or TTSX, Nosler E-Tips, Hornady GMX and have no problems with a neck shot on giraffe. Check Africa Hunting.com. Seems lighter rifles are used quite regularly on giraffe for neck shots.

He could use those bullets and have no problem with any shot on the giraffe.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
9.3X62

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I wouldn't fool with two rifles. While you're screwing around swapping with the tracker, you're likely to spook the game. Forget the .338; It's illegal on elephant. Take a .375 H&H. And only that. It's plenty enough for elephant. It's not "too much gun" for plains game. It kills Impala very dead from any angle. In the case of an unlikely rifle breakdown, your PH has a spare rifle, doesn't he?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have not shot giraffe nor am I likely too, but I sure will eat some more if given the opportunity. BBQed over camel thorn wood please.

I witnessed a purdee C****F**** on a Giraffe with a 375 and Nosler bullets. There were some bad shots for sure but the PH thought the Noslers lacked straight line penetration for really large game. His opinion, not trying to start a P war.

I think there might have been as many as 12 shots involved. The cook was in the safari car and she was crying and the giraffe was crying and I had to sort of grit my teeth and refrain from shooting (the PHs Gun). This was not a close friend and I just tagged along and didn't even have a rifle. The first shots were on foot after a short stalk but the hunter re-grouped back to the truck as they couldn't keep up with the giraffe on foot.

Giraffe have very hard bone structure which is why they make such good knife handles. Think of a pronghorn antelope x 20. Anyway I would not hesitate to use the 375 with monos or solids and the Noslers should work if the first shot is good. Anything reasonable will work on a neck shot, one of the few animals I would recommend this on.

In your case I would use the 450 for the giraffe if possible, the big guns don't get much use so why not. Or as others said just bring the 375 with Mono's and solids. The 375 is usually easy to get multiple bullet weights into the same group with a little load juggling so you could also bring a 250 TSX load for plains game too.

As others have said if big game is involved both rifles should be big game worthy and legal.

Last edited by Tejano; 12/10/18.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Just use the 450 on the giraffe, no sense punishing yourself shooting at 375 at sable and smaller game. Never been there but I would not want to shoot a 375 every day, ouch!

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The guy I hunted with in So. Africa used a 300 WM for his giraffe. Bang flop, DRT. No problemo.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Take the 300 and the 450. Load TTSX in the 450 and TTSX or ETips in the 300. Easy peasy.

Last edited by RinB; 12/11/18.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I have no experience on African game, but I do have opinions! I personally would use the 375 on everything other than the elephant. Keep it simple. 375 ammo should be available if you happen to need any, a bonus. As I remember, Teddy Roosevelt used a sporterized Springfield on his giraffe, I think with FMJ factory ammo, too. I wouldn't recommend doing that, but I mention it to note different results. A giraffe is a big animal, up to 1,800 lbs. That's about twice as big as a Cape Buffalo. Use enough gun.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 77 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,589
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.