Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
A friend whose land we hunt in MN has multiple bobcat in the area according to our trail cams, We were wondering what is the most effective trap to use on them? I have trapped a little years ago and have never trapped bobcat.
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thank you, Dan

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
My brother gets them in a large boxtrap, with a live pigeon in a bait box in the back of the trap.
And he gets some in leg holds, usually a dirt hole type of set with a visual attractor, like some rabbit fur, or a feather hung on a string.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The ones I've caught, I've got in dirt hole sets for fox.

I have seen sets like mentioned above; rabbit fur, feather or a calves head hung from a branch with traps gang-set around it.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use dirt holes with a big pine for backing (a bank or log would work too but the pine helps keep the snow off).
Put a cotton ball with lure on it in the hole (I like Hawbackers) and spray Cat or Fox pee on the backing.
Set the trap about 8" from the hole and use guide stix......don't be stingy with em...really choke em down.

I've had a fair bit of success with this method.

[Linked Image]

Don't be surprised if you catch other critters too.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What size and make of trap do you use FieldGrade?

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use #3 Bridgers or Minnesota Brand MB 550
You can also use 220 Conibears In cubby sets.

And if you already have older traps, the #3 and #4 Victor jump traps are also very good, as is the Victor #14 jump trap. same sizes in Blake and Lamb are good too.

Last edited by 22WRF; 12/12/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bkraft
What size and make of trap do you use FieldGrade?

MB 550's

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use Victor 1 3\4 for everything. My Tx. cats only go 20-30 lbs.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I use dirt holes with a big pine for backing (a bank or log would work too but the pine helps keep the snow off).
Put a cotton ball with lure on it in the hole (I like Hawbackers) and spray Cat or Fox pee on the backing.
Set the trap about 8" from the hole and use guide stix......don't be stingy with em...really choke em down.

I've had a fair bit of success with this method.

[Linked Image]

Don't be surprised if you catch other critters too.

[Linked Image]

Nice pelts. Can you recall the weights of your larger cats?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The biggest cat I ever caught was 38#.......they probably average about 30#.

People tend to grossly over estimate Cat's (and Coyotes) weight.

Here's a pic of that 38 pounder.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I caught one as a kid by hanging a duck wing with some lure on it on a fishing line over a trail. My dad had seen a cat there earlier. I placed 2 #2 double longsprings on opposite sides of the trail. It is illegal here to use animal parts for bait. It wasn't then.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I've never trapped bobcats, but the Victor #3 soft catch is my favourite lynx trap. I use baited brush cubbies or blind sets.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look up YouTube videos from Wolfer Nation. Clint Locklear is a trapper here in TN. He has a video of a seminar he did at Bass Pro Shops specifically about trapping Bobcats. He does a good job of explaining his tactics.

GoTigersGo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

Very nice cat.

I usually see two or three while deer hunting. A couple years ago, I seen a male and female together, I tried to get a picture, but the male busted me.It's been awhile since I've set a trap, but my oldest son and Dad are trapping this season.

I'll have to call my Dad, he caught a BIG female cat back in the early 80's. I'll post her weight and a picture later.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a trapper as far as doing it to make money goes, but I pretty much trap year round for varmints here on the farm. I have caught a few bobcats in live traps, using a box trap that I made. I have used a lot of stuff for bait.....everything from road killed rabbits to table scraps, and have caught a lot of possums and coons, as well, as the bobcats.

An old fellow who hunts and traps them around here says if you'll go out in heavy cover where they use, and make a sand box like the one kids play in, you'll attract cats. He catches and kills his limit every year, so he may be on to something. He also said to dump the used litter out of a cat box in it, and it help the bobcats to use it quicker.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
We are planning to go out next weekend.
A coyote or fox would be good bonuses also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

Talked to Dad yesterday, he said the biggest cat he ever caught was a 28lb female. Haven't made it to his place yet to get the photo, but she was a big cat. I can't imagine one 10lbs heavier.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StudDuck

[Linked Image]

Talked to Dad yesterday, he said the biggest cat he ever caught was a 28lb female. Haven't made it to his place yet to get the photo, but she was a big cat. I can't imagine one 10lbs heavier.
I'm fortunate enough to live in an area with a lot of big northern Cats.

Unfortunately they don't have the bellies that the big Mt or NV cats do so they don't fetch as much money.

The most I've ever sold one for is $750 and that was a few years ago when a lot of those big wide bellied Cats were fetching $1,000+.

FYI.... the cat pictured stretched 42". As you may know 36" is XL and the prices go up fast after that. I've caught a few 40"+ but that was the biggest.....not the prettiest but the biggest.

A couple more 40 inchers....

He's wet and dirty in the pic but this was a really nice cat.
[Linked Image]

This one wanted to eat my ass......the pic is from a short clip of him snarling and growling at me but I don't know how to get it to play.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by FieldGrade; 12/21/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I called in and shot a bobcat this week, a mature male that weighed 22 pounds. The largest one I've ever killed here was 24 pounds. The hides from Kentucky cats are not worth fooling with. I envy you Western boys with your nice fur.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StudDuck

[Linked Image]

I'm fortunate enough to live in an area with a lot of big northern Cats.

Unfortunately they don't have the bellies that the big Mt or NV cats do so they don't fetch as much money.

The most I've ever sold one for is $750 and that was a few years ago when a lot of those big wide bellied Cats were fetching $1,000+.

FYI.... the cat pictured stretched 42". As you may know 36" is XL and the prices go up fast after that. I've caught a few 40"+ but that was the biggest.....not the prettiest but the biggest.

A couple more 40 inchers....

He's wet and dirty in the pic but this was a really nice cat.
[Linked Image]

This one wanted to eat my ass......the pic is from a short clip of him snarling and growling at me but I don't know how to get it to play.
[Linked Image]

Nice...very nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

607 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,307
Posts18,449,115
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.