Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Hey guys I'm curious what my friends to the north use to protect their furry friend in the cold, mainly their feet. I've got a 80lb old girl and when she goes outside in the winter for a few minutes and her paws get cold she is done. Sometimes it happens when she's in the middle of going to the bathroom her feet will get cold and she will fall over. Several times I've had to carry her back in the house and as you can imagine a 80lb dog isn't easy. She's not to the point where I feel she needs to be put down as hard as that day will be I would do it rather than have her suffer. Looking for something that's rather easy on easy off, flexible with traction. If you have a company that has good dog jackets I'm also interested in those. Thanks.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Im in the Arctic, and our dogs stay outside.... they are local Malamuit and while having tough feet and hair between the toes, in Spring, when ice can form like needles and sand paper, we used to bootie our pulling dogs. Our free running 'pets' dont get 'em, as they have the time to pick a good pathway for themselfs if running on bad ground, or treat themselfs (licks) if they do cut.

Look up a dog mushing supply and you'll find cheap ones with velcro holds on them, or find a pattern on the internet and make your own.

Good luck!!

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These guys are a reputed place that draws plenty of mushing and other canine-loving folks:

https://www.coldspotfeeds.com/mushing.html?cat=9&p=3

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks guys just what I'm looking for instead of finding garbage at pet smart or Walmart

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My idea of keeping a dog warm...

A woodstove or better yet sitting next to a fireplace, one of Sitka Deer's famous coffees in hand, dog curled up next to the fire laying on a bear skin...

Rustic, romantic, and toasty.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
These guys are a reputed place that draws plenty of mushing and other canine-loving folks:

https://www.coldspotfeeds.com/mushing.html?cat=9&p=3

Man, those prices look very good! $US 3 for what looks to be a very good dog bootie with stretchy velcro closure DIRECT LINK.

I am a bit jealous of you guys that can buy at those prices.

John

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by 358wsm

My idea of keeping a dog warm...

A woodstove or better yet sitting next to a fireplace, one of Sitka Deer's famous coffees in hand, dog curled up next to the fire laying on a bear skin...

Rustic, romantic, and toasty.

Except when nature calls

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Wish I had video of our old Dachshund going potty in the cold. Several times he tried it on just one leg. Didn't work. LOAO!

Neither did booties. He would just roll over on his back with all 4 feet up and wait until we took them off again.

On walks in cold or rain, he insisted on inside the coat, with just his eyes and nose out. Size does matter! smile

Last edited by las; 12/10/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Our labs both freaked out when we put boots on them. Never did get them to tolerate the things.

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
This is my current setup for the old girl, she was rescued from a high kill shelter, kept in a crate at a puppy mill only let out to breed which shows because her back legs haven't developed the way they should and now and then they give out on her. Just looking for some better options.[Linked Image]

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by cwh2
Our labs both freaked out when we put boots on them. Never did get them to tolerate the things.

smile

Tripper Lab always fought getting them on too, in Kotzebue. Then when we went past other dogs, he would prance... show-off!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
361 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 40 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.