Print Thread
Hop To
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve been getting a couple misfires lately with my Kimber Montana and noticed that the firing pin set screw had backed out of the cocking piece and the firing pin spring tension was very light. There’s lots of room to increase the tension but not sure how far to go.
Is there a specific measurement from the bolt shroud to the cocking piece, when the pin is un-cocked, that I should set it to? Or is it measured by weight? Thanks.

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Put a touch of purple Loctite on mine and turned it all the way in with an Allen wrench, haven’t thought about it since. There was a thread about this issue awhile back in the Hunting Rifles forum....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use finger nail polish.

[Linked Image]

Check firing pin protrusion, it should be about .050”

Here’s a thread on the issue:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...e-firing-pin-on-the-kimber-8400-pictures

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the reply. I already measured the pin protrusion from the bolt face and it is .055” so no problem there. It looks like just a matter of adjusting the pin spring tension. I have quite a bit of room to increase the tension before the the cocking piece bottoms out on the bolt body in the fired position, but just not sure if I should be increasing it that much. I’m sure there’s a standard for setting that spring tension and I was hoping someone here might know. I’ll add some tension and try some rounds,,,,, trial and error style. Should be able to get a good consistent pin strike without using all the tension adjustment available.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Stacking 2 shorter set screws would not require any goop

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
I use finger nail polish.

[Linked Image]

Check firing pin protrusion, it should be about .050”

Here’s a thread on the issue:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...e-firing-pin-on-the-kimber-8400-pictures

Damn, you take all the fun out of what I was going to post. I was going to say it's a common problem. I think Brad uses his pink nail polish to secure that screw... whistle And sure as chit it is pink...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by mod7rem
Thanks for the reply. I already measured the pin protrusion from the bolt face and it is .055” so no problem there. It looks like just a matter of adjusting the pin spring tension. I have quite a bit of room to increase the tension before the the cocking piece bottoms out on the bolt body in the fired position, but just not sure if I should be increasing it that much. I’m sure there’s a standard for setting that spring tension and I was hoping someone here might know. I’ll add some tension and try some rounds,,,,, trial and error style. Should be able to get a good consistent pin strike without using all the tension adjustment available.

A follow-up:

Took delivery of a 223 Montana from Whittakers a few days ago and just checked the set screw. This one came from the factory bottomed-out/tightened all the way down. Always made the most sense to me.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (163dm, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 65 invisible), 3,056 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.