Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Here is another true story that seems unbelievable... but it's NOT... it's true in every way.

A couple of weeks ago I got in on a 2 1/2 day, public land, draw hunt. Having never been there before, I went to a power line that their local Game Manager directed me too. The first evening i spotted bucks and does crossing way way way down that line. I skipped that next morning's hunt, but was back there that next evening... but i setup 500 yds more down that line. There ended up being a guy in a ground blind with back problems only 225 yds away, so I decided to hold off shooting anything unless it was a Big Daddy. I had medium size buck cross at 170 yds, and a couple of does at 70 yds, which were all chip shots for my 7mm mag. that I use for long range clear cut cutover, or powerline shots. I held off, and neither he nor myself shot that evening. The next morning, he was gone and I set up again in the same shot. At about 10 AM... I had to pee... so off to one side I let her go, because I wasn't going to climb down, and since I had decided to get down anyways at 12 noon. At 12 noon, I started gathering my stuff together to start my climb down, when low and behold, 2 mins later there steps out a big doe at 170 yds. I got my shooting sticks back up and together while bleating loudly at her to make her stop, which she did, and after the shot, she was DRT from the 162 SST. After dragging and gutting her out, and placing her in the cooler they had. I found myself back in a tree again, but 140 yds further down the line, near where I shot that doe. Later on, about 45 mins before dark, I see a spike buck smelling around my morning tree spot that I was in. I paid it no attention while watching the opposite direction. 10 mins later I look back at the spike and now see a deer with a rack standing in the same spot the spike was, and smelling the ground all around as well... just 1-2 steps from my old tree. After quickly getting the crosshairs on it's shoulder area, he turned slightly towards me, and the bullet hit him in front of the shoulder and angled backwards, but he only ran 15 yds. On the hour long ride home I pondered why they did not spook at my scent around that tree... then it dawned on me... my pee from early that morning drew them there, probably out of curiosity. They both had stood in the pee spot.... go figure.

A couple of evenings later, I'm in another treestand location 100 miles away, watching over a clear cut area. At 4:00 pm I started blowing through the bottom of my doe bleat can call, instead of the normal turning it over process... because it's louder by blowing through it. NOTE... I've killed A LOT of deer while using the can call... everyone needs one. Every 20 mins or so I would give it 3-5 bleats. At 5 PM I had to take a leak again, so with me thinking that I'm done in 40 mins anyways, I let her go off treestand's left side... and I can called again. 15 mins later i hear something running in behind me from my left side... I look down... Low and Behold here comes this medium size 8 pointer trotting in and then stops under my stand, within 1-2 step on my pee spot. I'm left handed, but brought Mr Tikka around right handed, and allowed the Nikon recticle to settle between his shoulders for the DRT shot. On the way home I'm thinking about how odd that was that he didn't spook from my scent of walking in, but seemed to be smelling the ground upon the shot.... then it dawned on me again... the pee... WOW. That's two bucks in three evenings that I shot within one step of my pee spot. That has to be more than just a freak of nature.
Now.... I'm NOT selling Dan Brothers Urine here...LOL... but I wonder if anyone out there has had similar things happen.

Sorry for the LONG STORY... I get it from my Mother....LOL.

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I don’t think I would’ve told anybody about this.....

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
couple years back, Uncle Bobby was taking a wizz out of his tree stand, happened to look straight down and he was actually peeing on a 6-pointer. Said he never seen or heard that buck come in....hadn't seen anything all morning.

He grabbed the rifle and shot straight down. He was right by a small creek so he drug the critter over there and gave him a bath before the field dressing chores commenced.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Dec 4th 2018 I shot a 6 point buck not 35yds from where I stood -- I'm guessing 15 minutes prior I hung my hog standing in the very same place. ------- Done that many a time---
Some hunters believe that when you piss a deer will smell you --------If you don't piss a deer won't smell ya------ Before these coyote's became thick here in the northeast----this year the thickest ever----- If we shot a buck in camp--- next day hunt the gut pile or buck drag to camp------ lots of buck scent at the gut pile that could draw in other bucks. Web

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Aren't you the guy that just killed like three deer a couple days ago but only meant to kill one?

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No pics? frown

Politics is War by Other Means
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Over time,I’ve killed three bucks over puddles I’ve made, but I’ve also spooked deer with pee. It’s not a “go to” method for me.

Old70

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Odor
Some time after leaving the body, urine may acquire a strong "fish-like" odor because of contamination with bacteria that break down urea into ammonia. This odor is not present in fresh urine of healthy individuals; its presence may be a sign of a urinary tract infection.[citation needed]

The odor of normal human urine can reflect what has been consumed or specific diseases. For example, an individual with diabetes mellitus may present a sweetened urine odor. This can be due to kidney diseases as well, such as kidney stones.

Eating asparagus can cause a strong odor reminiscent of the vegetable caused by the body's breakdown of asparagusic acid.[4] Likewise consumption of saffron, alcohol, coffee, tuna fish, and onion can result in telltale scents.[citation needed] Particularly spicy foods can have a similar effect, as their compounds pass through the kidneys without being fully broken down before exiting the body.[5][6]"

It all breaks down to ammonia, with scent traces of what you eat and drink. So avoid spicy foreign foods before hunting. If it smells too wrong, they're gone. Some folks go as far as eating tablets that change the odor and color to portray a veggie diet. (To avoid smelling like a meat eater).
Never bothered with the tablets myself, but others I know have.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
SMFH.....

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I pee out the window all the time, lots of does around my stand all the time.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
SMFH.....

Don't know that abrivation.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I thought for sure he was going to tell us about pissing himself on stand.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He might wanta go in fer a checkup, make sure his estrogen levels ain't too high?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory
"Odor
It all breaks down to ammonia, with scent traces of what you eat and drink. So avoid spicy foreign foods before hunting. If it smells too wrong, they're gone. Some folks go as far as eating tablets that change the odor and color to portray a veggie diet. (To avoid smelling like a meat eater).

Ishi used to fast for several days before hunting.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

This. I'm on the edge of my seat for episode three.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by tzone
I thought for sure he was going to tell us about pissing himself on stand.

laugh

I've done that. I don't care what anybody says, I don't like pissing by my stands. I get down and piss in the creek, but sometimes I don't time it out right and might get some leakage. My bladder ain't what it used to be.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Tyrone
"Odor

I eat at Ruby Tuesdays salad bar before the hunt. It's become a ritual.......................

LOL grin

I carry a 5 gal gasoline container as my piss bucket as well. The one time I pissed it was so cold i formed a 20 foot long icicle before it hit the ground

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 12/11/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
"Odor

I eat at Ruby Tuesdays salad bar before the hunt. It's become a ritual.......................

LOL grin

I carry a 5 gal gasoline container as my piss bucket as well. The one time I pissed it was so cold i formed a 20 foot long icicle before it hit the ground

Hahahaha....I've had a face mask freeze to my face, before realizing the deer were smarter than me and weren't about to start moving in the bad cold. Finally packed up and went home, even the squirrels were quiet.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
"Odor

LOL grin

never had that happen back in MN...but I can tell ya, taking a whizz out of a tree stand at 30 below can sure produce quit a bit of steam....

but dogs seem to love to smell urine, to see who's been there... so why not deer?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 69 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.