Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Here is another true story that seems unbelievable... but it's NOT... it's true in every way.

A couple of weeks ago I got in on a 2 1/2 day, public land, draw hunt. Having never been there before, I went to a power line that their local Game Manager directed me too. The first evening i spotted bucks and does crossing way way way down that line. I skipped that next morning's hunt, but was back there that next evening... but i setup 500 yds more down that line. There ended up being a guy in a ground blind with back problems only 225 yds away, so I decided to hold off shooting anything unless it was a Big Daddy. I had medium size buck cross at 170 yds, and a couple of does at 70 yds, which were all chip shots for my 7mm mag. that I use for long range clear cut cutover, or powerline shots. I held off, and neither he nor myself shot that evening. The next morning, he was gone and I set up again in the same shot. At about 10 AM... I had to pee... so off to one side I let her go, because I wasn't going to climb down, and since I had decided to get down anyways at 12 noon. At 12 noon, I started gathering my stuff together to start my climb down, when low and behold, 2 mins later there steps out a big doe at 170 yds. I got my shooting sticks back up and together while bleating loudly at her to make her stop, which she did, and after the shot, she was DRT from the 162 SST. After dragging and gutting her out, and placing her in the cooler they had. I found myself back in a tree again, but 140 yds further down the line, near where I shot that doe. Later on, about 45 mins before dark, I see a spike buck smelling around my morning tree spot that I was in. I paid it no attention while watching the opposite direction. 10 mins later I look back at the spike and now see a deer with a rack standing in the same spot the spike was, and smelling the ground all around as well... just 1-2 steps from my old tree. After quickly getting the crosshairs on it's shoulder area, he turned slightly towards me, and the bullet hit him in front of the shoulder and angled backwards, but he only ran 15 yds. On the hour long ride home I pondered why they did not spook at my scent around that tree... then it dawned on me... my pee from early that morning drew them there, probably out of curiosity. They both had stood in the pee spot.... go figure.

A couple of evenings later, I'm in another treestand location 100 miles away, watching over a clear cut area. At 4:00 pm I started blowing through the bottom of my doe bleat can call, instead of the normal turning it over process... because it's louder by blowing through it. NOTE... I've killed A LOT of deer while using the can call... everyone needs one. Every 20 mins or so I would give it 3-5 bleats. At 5 PM I had to take a leak again, so with me thinking that I'm done in 40 mins anyways, I let her go off treestand's left side... and I can called again. 15 mins later i hear something running in behind me from my left side... I look down... Low and Behold here comes this medium size 8 pointer trotting in and then stops under my stand, within 1-2 step on my pee spot. I'm left handed, but brought Mr Tikka around right handed, and allowed the Nikon recticle to settle between his shoulders for the DRT shot. On the way home I'm thinking about how odd that was that he didn't spook from my scent of walking in, but seemed to be smelling the ground upon the shot.... then it dawned on me again... the pee... WOW. That's two bucks in three evenings that I shot within one step of my pee spot. That has to be more than just a freak of nature.
Now.... I'm NOT selling Dan Brothers Urine here...LOL... but I wonder if anyone out there has had similar things happen.

Sorry for the LONG STORY... I get it from my Mother....LOL.

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I don’t think I would’ve told anybody about this.....

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
couple years back, Uncle Bobby was taking a wizz out of his tree stand, happened to look straight down and he was actually peeing on a 6-pointer. Said he never seen or heard that buck come in....hadn't seen anything all morning.

He grabbed the rifle and shot straight down. He was right by a small creek so he drug the critter over there and gave him a bath before the field dressing chores commenced.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Dec 4th 2018 I shot a 6 point buck not 35yds from where I stood -- I'm guessing 15 minutes prior I hung my hog standing in the very same place. ------- Done that many a time---
Some hunters believe that when you piss a deer will smell you --------If you don't piss a deer won't smell ya------ Before these coyote's became thick here in the northeast----this year the thickest ever----- If we shot a buck in camp--- next day hunt the gut pile or buck drag to camp------ lots of buck scent at the gut pile that could draw in other bucks. Web

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Aren't you the guy that just killed like three deer a couple days ago but only meant to kill one?

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No pics? frown

Politics is War by Other Means
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Over time,I’ve killed three bucks over puddles I’ve made, but I’ve also spooked deer with pee. It’s not a “go to” method for me.

Old70

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Odor
Some time after leaving the body, urine may acquire a strong "fish-like" odor because of contamination with bacteria that break down urea into ammonia. This odor is not present in fresh urine of healthy individuals; its presence may be a sign of a urinary tract infection.[citation needed]

The odor of normal human urine can reflect what has been consumed or specific diseases. For example, an individual with diabetes mellitus may present a sweetened urine odor. This can be due to kidney diseases as well, such as kidney stones.

Eating asparagus can cause a strong odor reminiscent of the vegetable caused by the body's breakdown of asparagusic acid.[4] Likewise consumption of saffron, alcohol, coffee, tuna fish, and onion can result in telltale scents.[citation needed] Particularly spicy foods can have a similar effect, as their compounds pass through the kidneys without being fully broken down before exiting the body.[5][6]"

It all breaks down to ammonia, with scent traces of what you eat and drink. So avoid spicy foreign foods before hunting. If it smells too wrong, they're gone. Some folks go as far as eating tablets that change the odor and color to portray a veggie diet. (To avoid smelling like a meat eater).
Never bothered with the tablets myself, but others I know have.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
SMFH.....

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I pee out the window all the time, lots of does around my stand all the time.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
SMFH.....

Don't know that abrivation.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I thought for sure he was going to tell us about pissing himself on stand.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He might wanta go in fer a checkup, make sure his estrogen levels ain't too high?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory
"Odor
It all breaks down to ammonia, with scent traces of what you eat and drink. So avoid spicy foreign foods before hunting. If it smells too wrong, they're gone. Some folks go as far as eating tablets that change the odor and color to portray a veggie diet. (To avoid smelling like a meat eater).

Ishi used to fast for several days before hunting.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

This. I'm on the edge of my seat for episode three.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by tzone
I thought for sure he was going to tell us about pissing himself on stand.

laugh

I've done that. I don't care what anybody says, I don't like pissing by my stands. I get down and piss in the creek, but sometimes I don't time it out right and might get some leakage. My bladder ain't what it used to be.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Tyrone
"Odor

I eat at Ruby Tuesdays salad bar before the hunt. It's become a ritual.......................

LOL grin

I carry a 5 gal gasoline container as my piss bucket as well. The one time I pissed it was so cold i formed a 20 foot long icicle before it hit the ground

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 12/11/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
"Odor

I eat at Ruby Tuesdays salad bar before the hunt. It's become a ritual.......................

LOL grin

I carry a 5 gal gasoline container as my piss bucket as well. The one time I pissed it was so cold i formed a 20 foot long icicle before it hit the ground

Hahahaha....I've had a face mask freeze to my face, before realizing the deer were smarter than me and weren't about to start moving in the bad cold. Finally packed up and went home, even the squirrels were quiet.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
"Odor

LOL grin

never had that happen back in MN...but I can tell ya, taking a whizz out of a tree stand at 30 below can sure produce quit a bit of steam....

but dogs seem to love to smell urine, to see who's been there... so why not deer?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m pissed off.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by lastround
I’m pissed off.

It's better to be pissed off, than to be pissed on.

Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
As if DanBrothers isn't in enough trouble with SCDNR, when they catch him whizzing in the woods it'll be indecent exposure complete with a sexual predator label that's gonna be stapled to every job application he ever fills out.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SCgman1
As if DanBrothers isn't in enough trouble with SCDNR, when they catch him whizzing in the woods it'll be indecent exposure complete with a sexual predator label that's gonna be stapled to every job application he ever fills out.

LOL

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
LOL.... I hope they don't want pictures....LOL

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
NBD: Groucho shot an Elephant in his pajamas.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
NBD: Groucho shot an Elephant in his pajamas.

How the elephant got into his pajamas has never been explained....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was once doing the silent stalk. Walking slow and careful, stopping and watching and listening on an old overgrown logging road. We had beans for dinner the night before and they were working their magic. I ripped a big one and it startled a little spike bedded down next to me that I didn't even see. Hehe...that little spike jumped up so quick and hard he knocked himself out on a low-hanging tree branch. Flopped around for a while and finally staggered off.

Last edited by Morewood; 12/11/18.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You can make this stuff up.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
AU contraire. Did I ever tell you the story about the time I killed a deer right after taking a dump?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Dan, keep pissing around your stands. If it spooks one off, you'll never know it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Originally Posted by smokepole
AU contraire. Did I ever tell you the story about the time I killed a deer right after taking a dump?

NBD, the pros do it during.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe Shaman has an outhouse set up so he can hunt and dump.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

As an aside, I will add, don't try to take a dump out of a treestand. Especially if you are in a climber, and went through a bunch of leaves to get up there.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
OP should piss in a jug for a week and then spray himself down with it , like scent blocker in a windex bottle, or should piss on the ground and then roll in it.

Also could start a new brand of deer lure, please add creative names for his new product:

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe Shaman has an outhouse set up so he can hunt and dump.

I went through the whole season this year without making a visit. However, I did take a whizz out of my stand a few times and I had two doe come by and visit shortly after one such transaction.

I'm fairly convinced peeing out of the stand has some sort of attracting qualities. Doe, in particular, seem to be drawn to it. I'm still not sure if it is the sound or the smell that brings them in. I did have a young doe roll in a recent deposit once years ago.

In the latter stages of the D&DH Forum, I suggested an experiment: Fill a squeeze bottle with water and try and simulate a #1 session off the stand with plain water. Check and see if it attracts deer. The forum went bust before I'd collected any data. For me, I've tried it a few times, and not gotten any results. However, there are plenty of times I whizz out of the stand and nothing happens. My guess is that pee coming out of a stand sounds like acorns falling at distance.

EDIT: I can't count the number of times I've been caught by deer, out in the woods, taking a dump. I never tried it off a treestand, but I went through a period early on in my hunting career where at least once a season I'd get busted making a deposit. I figure the deer are just naturally curious and want to see the way we do it, the same way small children are curious.

Last edited by shaman; 12/12/18.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don’t even worry about it anymore. I’ve had them sniff around my piss spot before. I’ve also watched them trail me like a bird dog with their nose to the ground right to my tree and look up at me. On the other hand, one morning I watched one spook after sniffing the spot where I had set my backpack for a few minutes while I went back to my truck to get something I had forgotten.

Deer are individuals. Some are high strung and spook at anything. Some are curious. In my experience the smartest and most spooky are old big does. Bucks, of any age and size aren’t as spooky, but they are harder to kill because they don’t move as much during the day as a doe. Except during the rut, I think your average buck stays up late, sleeps late, gets up for a few hours in the middle of the day expanding minimal effort, then goes back to bed for the rest of the day. In other words, the typical bachelor lifestyle for most young human males if they had their druthers.

Last edited by JoeBob; 12/12/18.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good bud says he actually peed on some deer under his stand and they didn't seem to notice.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Apparently, somebody can.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This guy has got to change his user name to pissant.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by benchman

As an aside, I will add, don't try to take a dump out of a treestand. Especially if you are in a climber, and went through a bunch of leaves to get up there.

LOL, "what goes up must come down."

I've heard it said that deer can't tell the difference between deer piss and human piss. Makes sense to me. I knew one old-timer who out-hunted everyone and told stories about pissing in scrapes, and having bucks come in from downwind to see what pissed in their scrape.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I would suspect that the ammonia content of pee pretty much overpowers any other scents that might be in it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Why would you even bother to let the deer finish taking a dump? Just shoot him!

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

laugh

Good question.

DF

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Ain't it obvious? Less chance of getting turds on the meat.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by kingston

Apparently, somebody can.

Especially those who can make a Deer knock themselves out over a fart.

Rifles go off close by and often they just stand and look. But a fart has then running head first into trees?
If it wasn’t for all the expert advice, I wouldn’t spend as much time here as I do. Note to self, never fart in the Deer wood in that I may have to tag a Deer I didn’t want to kill.

I think I made that up. 😂

Last edited by battue; 12/12/18.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Apparently, you haven't heard (or smelled ) some of these guys fart.......

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Apparently, you haven't heard (or smelled ) some of these guys fart.......

In that case, thank God for unasked favors.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Leaving for the gym and if a certain lass be there, I may have to rub my forehead on the rack machine and lick my nose. Let’s hope I don’t piss down onto my metatarsal.

I don’t have a metatarsal, but hey I’m making stuff up. So get over it. However, I still may lick my nose.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ain't it obvious? Less chance of getting turds on the meat.....

Hence the old saying..."I shot the schidt out of him".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prarie_creek_station
OP should piss in a jug for a week and then spray himself down with it , like scent blocker in a windex bottle, or should piss on the ground and then roll in it.

Also could start a new brand of deer lure, please add creative names for his new product:

Whizzard's brew.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Whizzard's brew.

Alright, you get points for that one!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How in the hell did get that deer up in that tree stand?

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leaving for the gym and if a certain lass be there, I may have to rub my forehead on the rack machine and lick my nose. Let’s hope I don’t piss down onto my metatarsal.

I don’t have a metatarsal, but hey I’m making stuff up. So get over it. However, I still may lick my nose.

If you CAN lick your nose, she WILL take notice.... wink

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whelenman
How in the hell did get that deer up in that tree stand?

https://goo.gl/images/e8RTW4

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the smell of human urine was so scary to deer, by season's end they'd all be running around the woods in a constant state of panic, from one puddle to the next. Unless they've been educated enough to connect human urine to humans, I doubt they smell anything but pee.

Old, smart deer MAY be a different story altogether, and avoid anything strange, whether they know what it is or not. During bow season, I used a jug. Now, I just let 'er rip.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Another thing, even if they know it is human pee, I doubt that it scares them any worse than coyote pee, wolf pee, or whatever. In the woods, pee is generally evidence that something WAS ONCE there not that it is necessarily there now.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I use to just stand up and "let it fly" while in my stand but now, with the ol sphincter not being what it use to be I need to "choke it a bit", if not, I piss all over my boots..LOL

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Whizzard's brew.

Urine Luck

Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

Whizzard's brew.

Urine Luck

Whiz-bang-flop.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
This is a stupid post from the start I pee from my stand every time I hunt I kill boat loads of deer big buck included and actually if I have a scrape working I pee in it also
People like to make things hard and over think things

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

It was his time of the month.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If the smell of human urine was so scary to deer, by season's end they'd all be running around the woods in a constant state of panic, from one puddle to the next. Unless they've been educated enough to connect human urine to humans, I doubt they smell anything but pee.

Old, smart deer MAY be a different story altogether, and avoid anything strange, whether they know what it is or not. During bow season, I used a jug. Now, I just let 'er rip.

The old bucks are normally frightened badly by the smell of humans in the woods and will lay up in a thicket where no human scent is deposited except that which filters through on air currents.

Ive seen many good bucks leave their hiding spot, often very near a hunting camp, and make their scrape run between 10 and 2 when the men are back at camp for lunch.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Pappy348

The old bucks are normally frightened badly by the smell of humans in the woods and will lay up in a thicket where no human scent is deposited except that which filters through on air currents.

Ive seen many good bucks leave their hiding spot, often very near a hunting camp, and make their scrape run between 10 and 2 when the men are back at camp for lunch.

I believe you are correct, sir. About 5 years ago, Bob and I were stand hunting my property during the morning, broke for lunch and returned to find a very new, LARGE scrape not 25yards dead in front of Bob's ladder stand. It was so wide, that I laid my shotgun down for comparison, and the parallel tine Marks were almost as wide as my mossberg shotgun was long. I took pics, but lost them when my phone was replaced. It was impressive.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Jag, i might dispute your choice of words:

The old bucks are normally frightened badly by the smell of humans in the woods.

I don't think frightened badly is the exact right phrase. I.E. More cautious disgust than fright

More likely they think along these lines, " Oh, crap here come those azzholes again to fug up my day. I'm just gonna hole up and let them stumble past. They stink!"

smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think big bucks just move in the middle of the day no matter what. They are men. They like to stay up late prowling around and chasing tail, sleep late, wake up in the middle of the day to eat a little and watch a little TV, go back to sleep for a few hours, and then prowl around some more after dark.

If hunt bucks like you would if you were tasked with getting a tag on a twenty year or college fraternity kid, you’ll have more success.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by DanBrothers
Here is another true story that seems unbelievable... but it's NOT... it's true in every way.

A couple of weeks ago I got in on a 2 1/2 day, public land, draw hunt. Having never been there before, I went to a power line that their local Game Manager directed me too. The first evening i spotted bucks and does crossing way way way down that line. I skipped that next morning's hunt, but was back there that next evening... but i setup 500 yds more down that line. There ended up being a guy in a ground blind with back problems only 225 yds away, so I decided to hold off shooting anything unless it was a Big Daddy. I had medium size buck cross at 170 yds, and a couple of does at 70 yds, which were all chip shots for my 7mm mag. that I use for long range clear cut cutover, or powerline shots. I held off, and neither he nor myself shot that evening. The next morning, he was gone and I set up again in the same shot. At about 10 AM... I had to pee... so off to one side I let her go, because I wasn't going to climb down, and since I had decided to get down anyways at 12 noon. At 12 noon, I started gathering my stuff together to start my climb down, when low and behold, 2 mins later there steps out a big doe at 170 yds. I got my shooting sticks back up and together while bleating loudly at her to make her stop, which she did, and after the shot, she was DRT from the 162 SST. After dragging and gutting her out, and placing her in the cooler they had. I found myself back in a tree again, but 140 yds further down the line, near where I shot that doe. Later on, about 45 mins before dark, I see a spike buck smelling around my morning tree spot that I was in. I paid it no attention while watching the opposite direction. 10 mins later I look back at the spike and now see a deer with a rack standing in the same spot the spike was, and smelling the ground all around as well... just 1-2 steps from my old tree. After quickly getting the crosshairs on it's shoulder area, he turned slightly towards me, and the bullet hit him in front of the shoulder and angled backwards, but he only ran 15 yds. On the hour long ride home I pondered why they did not spook at my scent around that tree... then it dawned on me... my pee from early that morning drew them there, probably out of curiosity. They both had stood in the pee spot.... go figure.

A couple of evenings later, I'm in another treestand location 100 miles away, watching over a clear cut area. At 4:00 pm I started blowing through the bottom of my doe bleat can call, instead of the normal turning it over process... because it's louder by blowing through it. NOTE... I've killed A LOT of deer while using the can call... everyone needs one. Every 20 mins or so I would give it 3-5 bleats. At 5 PM I had to take a leak again, so with me thinking that I'm done in 40 mins anyways, I let her go off treestand's left side... and I can called again. 15 mins later i hear something running in behind me from my left side... I look down... Low and Behold here comes this medium size 8 pointer trotting in and then stops under my stand, within 1-2 step on my pee spot. I'm left handed, but brought Mr Tikka around right handed, and allowed the Nikon recticle to settle between his shoulders for the DRT shot. On the way home I'm thinking about how odd that was that he didn't spook from my scent of walking in, but seemed to be smelling the ground upon the shot.... then it dawned on me again... the pee... WOW. That's two bucks in three evenings that I shot within one step of my pee spot. That has to be more than just a freak of nature.
Now.... I'm NOT selling Dan Brothers Urine here...LOL... but I wonder if anyone out there has had similar things happen.

Sorry for the LONG STORY... I get it from my Mother....LOL.

I'd like to order two bottles for next season

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 12/15/18.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I pissed out of my tree stand while elk hunting near a small pond. I’d forgotten my pee jug...
An hour or so before dark a very handsome 5 pt bull walked out behind my stand and then took the trail up past my tree.
At one point he was directly below me, maybe eight feet away and never gave any indication he was detecting any kind of human scent.
When he stepped out to about 15 yards and gave me a broadside opportunity, I drove a four blade Muzzy through his chest.
Now days I only bother with a pee bottle in a ground blind....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For one size fits all a mayonnaise jar is hard to beat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a stupid post from the start I pee from my stand every time I hunt

Yep. Same here.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by las
Jag, i might dispute your choice of words:

The old bucks are normally frightened badly by the smell of humans in the woods.

I don't think frightened badly is the exact right phrase. I.E. More cautious disgust than fright

More likely they think along these lines, " Oh, crap here come those azzholes again to fug up my day. I'm just gonna hole up and let them stumble past. They stink!"

smile

Probably correct.

I once ambled down a canyon in the Co high country in elk season with my bow. Found a hump in a spot off to the side of the main trail with a white salt block for the ranchers cattle. I saw elk tracks headed over to it. I screwed up and passed it by that AM.

That pm i returned but again made a mistake and paced off the distance from it to my spot where i sat on a fallen log and leaned back against an aspen in the buckbrush that ringed the opening.

2 hours later a string of about 16 elk came down from opposite me from a little side draw just below the salt. They curled up the canyon 20 yards approaching the block from downwind. When the lead cow hit the path i had taken she and the following herd bolted with eyes as big as saucers. One came my way with the fear of God plastered over her face as i tried to draw on her and as quickly gave up as i dove to the right to keep from being plowed over by a crazed cow elk at 40 mph.

Beep beep.

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It can be awkward trying to pee out of a ground blind. It can be done though.
-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Every time I set a camera up on a scrape I piss in it and freshen up the dirt. I've gotten tons of pics of deer in all sizes, some within an hr of my visit.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (7mm_Loco, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 8 invisible), 1,575 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,563
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.