Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I have never hunted with any 220s. But I have burned up a couple hundred 30 cal 220 gr SMK, just dinking around. I did not have a chronograph then, 1980. So I do not know what kind of velocity I got with H4831.

I know the recoil was quite a bit softer when the case was stuffed with as much H870 as I could get in it, and I had to pour unburned powder out of the action and barrel.

For any serious use, I much prefer the Hornady 190 btsp which is not difficult to push to 2800 fps in the 30-06.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I borrowed a Remington 700 Ti from a mate one day, with a box of 220gn CoreLokt factory rounds. Three rounds to check zero and a dead pig -big ones too - with each round from the rest of the box. I found them quite effective, and the first three went into a very small triangle from 100 yards over the bonnet. I don't know as they were any more effective than the 150 grainers I normally use on pigs though.

I didn't find the recoil particularly noticeable, despite the light rifle. I might've noticed it if I'd been sitting down at a benchrest, but even dropping pigs in rapid succession the recoil simply wasn't an issue. I quite liked that little rifle.

The bloke who owned the rifle found that neither these nor the hand-loaded 240 gn Woodleigh were really up to the mark for water buffalo on this trip, FWIW. I wasn't there to see the ones he shot with them, but he's a good shot. I know others who've used the .30/06 on buffalo to good effect, but all those I've killed or seen killed were with something a bit bigger.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by castnblast
I have a few boxes of Winchester silvertip 220 grain 30-06 ammo that I picked up cheap several years ago. I have never used them for any serious hunting. But was considering using them for moose, bear or elk at typical bush ranges, well under 200 yds. My usual load of 180 grain Nosler Partition or a 180 Speer Grand Slam has always worked well, and given deep penetration. My only experience actually shooting game with 220 gr bullets was in Germany, where I used some Hornady ammo on a couple of tiny roe deer and a very small wild boar. Hardly a test of the bullets capabilities. Likewise back home I have only accompanied one hunter who used the 220 gr,, in that case a Federal factory load. He shot a running mule deer fawn at about 300 yards. One shot placed in the shoulder crease and down it went. Again, a pretty odd application for that sort of bullet. I'm wondering whether to just burn those 220 silvertip loads up on offhand target practise or actually hunt with them.
So my question - when hunting game bigger than deer, is there anything that the traditional 220 gr cup and core 30-06 load does that a lighter controlled expansion 180 gr. does not do?

Since you have more than one box I'd measure the length with your Sinclair hex gage and then shoot a ten shot group over a chronograph to learn what you can from them. It'd be nice to know, but not worth spending the money on to find out. You already have them so go for it.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I like heavy bullets, hardly ever met one I didn't care for.

Smokeless powder is a passing fad.

A crafty fella can put a jacket on a lead bullet. With paper. If you feel the need for speed one can knock on the 3,000 fps door with such things.

I admit that J-bullets are less time consuming and likely of better construction these days. Lead is more fun.

.44 Mag bullet, 320 grains, 30:1 alloy. Splat

[Linked Image]

Derailed in 4 posts. That may be a record.

Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Can some one please show their two side by side 10 shot groups so I can decide the validity of this 220 grain bullets worth.............

Send me the bullets and I'd be happy to. Otherwise I'm not curious enough to do it.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by kenster99
[Linked Image]
I guess these never caught on. Vintage Barnes 30 caliber 250grain.

I think they were once popular especially when someone wanted to do a one gun hunt in Africa with the 06 or an 03 like Teddy. This was before caliber restrictions and the more available/affordable medium bores. These and the 180 .270s were used by Hosea Sarbor one of the first game control officers in Alaska. He used them for many bears, walrus and even a few whales. For seals he liked the 220 swift. One Bear he shot with the 270 was still guarding the remains of it's human kill. This takes a pair of brass ones and a good copper jacketed bullet.

This reminds me of when I was a kid I wrote to, is it Fred or Frank Barnes? Asking about his heavy weight bullets and: A. Would they fit in the magazine? and B. Would they stabilize with a standard twist? His reply was an envelope stuffed with his heaviest bullets in each of the calibers I had asked about. What a nice response for a kid. And yes they did work. This is part of the reason I am still loyal to Barnes Bullets even though it is a whole new ball game now.

Last edited by Tejano; 12/08/18.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by prarie_creek_station
Not a gun writer, but about the only good application I have ever used them for is to give someone scope eye. Save them for sight in day at the local range, give them to the a-hole that wants to handle his o6 when every one is down range.

That there is funny, and would be a great gift for any a-hole.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back when I came to Alaska in the mid 60's I killed my first moose with my old Springfield 03A3 and a factory 220 grain Silvertip. The range was about 250 to 300 yards and the bullet entered the lungs and did not exit. I think the moose went about 20 yards and laid down. Others carried 220 grain Core-Lokts and a fortunate hand loader had 220 grain Partitions. I was well armed with that old Springfield and 5 of those big 220 grain slugs in the magazine.

I may be using 168 grain TTSX bullets in the 30-06 now. But I don't see them killing much of any thing those old 220's can't kill. But, I have only killed 3 animals past 300 yards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by JMR40
The 220 out of a 30-06 out performs 225's out of a 338-06 or 250's out of a 35 Whelen.

In the history of shooting big animals, it's likely that the biggest were taken with bullets that, by todays standards, were large

WD Bell was probably the most prolific killer of big animals ever, he took over 1000 elephant. The vast majority with a 7X57. The rest with various rifles 30 caliber and smaller.

How so?

If I'm following, you'd rather a 220gr Silvertip in a 30/06 facing a 10 foot brown bear or shooting up the ass of a moose over say a 250gr Partition in a Whelen or a 225gr X in a 338/06? Is that the sheit you're slinging?

He's normally slinging some kind of it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The data produced by Gary Shucetti(SP) proved the 180gr RN Remington core-loct produced expansion at a lower velocity and weight retention at higher velocity range than any other available (at the time) .308 180 gr projectile. Best in penetration and weight retention and pretty good value.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
It's normal, but many people on this board and others think only about their hunting. They do not consider that the requirements of others living elsewhere in the US, or the world for that matter, may be different. For example, if you live in a place where long shots are the norm, you would forego using a 220 gr. RN bullet in favour of something that has more reach. Conversely, there are people who have never shot farther than 100 yd at medium/large game and a round nose cup and core is just fine.

Some folks hunt completely different animals with the same calibre. The 30-06 is a great example of that. There is precious little on the planet that the 30-06 is not capable of dropping. From groundhogs to grizzlies, the 30-06 is potent medicine. To even the odds, only the bullet needs to be changed. But that doesn't mean you have to use a copper bullet, a bonded core, or a Partition. You could use a heavy cup and core bullet. Or something frangible like a VMax. Choices are great.

There is also an age divide on some boards, with hunters under 45 or so thinking that Partitions or Barnes bullets are the only bullets that can get the job done. They are victims of marketing hype. But that's fine, it's their money. Choices are great.

All of us joke at one time or another about new hunters 'needing' a copper bullet to take that deer - even if it's only 50 to 100 yd away. They are convinced that premium bullets are the only option. But I think that they haven't learned what is required to drop their game of choice. Their mind is fixed, until they get more experience. But that's okay, choices are great.

I wonder why clunky old cartridges like the 30-30, 303 British or the 45-70 have managed to survive when there are so many other, supposedly better cartridges and bullets available?

We're all lucky to have choices!

Well said!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
On my one and only trip tp Africa, I was the last hunter of the season. The last three days of my hunt several of the PHs were in camp. I probably annoyed them by asking a lot of questions. Almost to a person, they lamented the fact that the 318WR was no longer available. This was 1978. They also wished that most hunters would not buy a 300WM, and use the 30-06 that they used at home. the bullets they would choose; 200 or220 C&C if it had to be a 180, a partition. Of course that was only 5-6 PH's opinions, 40yrs ago. capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Bugger
...Well said!

Thanks. I don't use premium bullets much anymore. I don't have a need. It's due, in part, because I look for deals. Bullets like the 220 grain Hornadys on usually on sale sometime throughout the year. They aren't as popular as Partitions or others, so low prices can be had. It pays to shop round. I also make my own jacketed and lead bullets.

ex. In 2013, I bought 500 - 220 gr. Hornadys for $24/100 (reg. $40/100). In US dollars, that was $18.50/100. They were 40% off. With the rotten US/CDN dollar exchange of the past few years (25 to 35 percent), 100 - 220 gr. Hornadys are over $50/100 up here right now. But it gets worse...

Noslers are ridiculously priced up here. 50 - 150, 165 or 180 gr. Partitions are about $60/50. Then you have to add 13% tax. BTs are $35/50. It's cheaper to buy Barnes TSX bullets - they are $4 or $5 dollars per 50 cheaper. Since I don't hunt anything but varmints past 200 yd these days, I forego the Partitions and the copper bullets for old fashioned cup and core or lead bullets. I don't need the Noslers or the Barnes. When I do, I have some on my bullet shelves.

Another big problem is that being in Canada, we don't have the variety that you folks do.

For people that have a requirement for the premiums, I say, go for it.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
LMAO.

Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Can some one please show their two side by side 10 shot groups so I can decide the validity of this 220 grain bullets worth.............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I suspect that once the current batch of olde guys are gone on, the now small batch of RN users will go with them.

I use 180gr RNs in a reciever sighted 760 30-06 and 175gr RNs in a Ruger #1A 275Rigby. They won't leave me undergunned in any hunting I will be doing in this part of the world.

Someone mentioned that heavy-for-caliber RNs are the poor man's Partition. This is spot on.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Youper
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I like heavy bullets, hardly ever met one I didn't care for.

Smokeless powder is a passing fad.

A crafty fella can put a jacket on a lead bullet. With paper. If you feel the need for speed one can knock on the 3,000 fps door with such things.

I admit that J-bullets are less time consuming and likely of better construction these days. Lead is more fun.

.44 Mag bullet, 320 grains, 30:1 alloy. Splat

[Linked Image]

Derailed in 4 posts. That may be a record.

-lafffin'- Translate that to English for me.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
So it was dark, real dark and was using one of those lousy Leupolds (VX3/30mm tube 3.5X10X50 ill German 4). Range was 52 yards facing. I was up about 20 feet shot between shoulders, severing spine and angling down destroying stuff inside. Recovered on offside ham (note to JB, I DID NOT use "rear ham"). Hornady 220gr RN Interlock. Recovered bullet weighed 159.2 gr. Pass or fail?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, no "over penetration" grin So I'd say that's about right.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’d have kinda expected it to shoot through that small of a pig. Never know for sure.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
So it was dark, real dark and was using one of those lousy Leupolds (VX3/30mm tube 3.5X10X50 ill German 4). Range was 52 yards facing. I was up about 20 feet shot between shoulders, severing spine and angling down destroying stuff inside. Recovered on offside ham (note to JB, I DID NOT use "rear ham"). Hornady 220gr RN Interlock. Recovered bullet weighed 159.2 gr. Pass or fail?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'd show you the 130gr TTSX from a much bigger hog, but the hog couldn't hold it. But you knew that.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,033 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,192
Posts18,465,824
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.