Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Well today I shot a 17 inch wide six pointer with a 30-06 with 180 grain SST. I shot it twice. The first shot was good I hit it in the liver And blew through the deer. It ran 30 yards and stopped I shot it again just to make sure it would die The second shot went in at an angle hit the ribs and rammed up in it’s neck under the hide which is the bullet I recovered. That shot devastated its heart and lungs and literally knocked it down. I would put a picture on here of the bullet I recovered but my phone will not take a picture so I will just tell you about it. It did lose it’s lead core and found the copper jacket under it’s Hide. But I am still very impressed because of its extremely devastating wound channels and its massive knock down as advertised by Hornady. I will be buying more SST’s in the future for deer hunting I would recommend this bullet for deer hunting. Now what is some other reviews from you guys if you have use them?

Chase

BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Accurate in every rifle I tried them. Great performance on soft tissue, but things will not go well IME if you run it into heavy bone/tissue. Sample of 20+ deer.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've shot deer with SSTs in .243, .308, .30-06 and .270. In my experience the SSTs knock the snot out of 'em. Lots of internal damage.

C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks guys for the comments

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My aunt shot a pig inbetween the eyeswith a SST out of a 270 and it completely obliterated it’s face! The damage was incredible!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am not a fan. They were accurate but a bit too easy to blow up. I prefer the Interbond.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I used .30-06 factory Super Performance 150 gr. SST at @ 3100fps on a number of caribou. Results as above under 300 or so. "Normal" ( efficient, but not overly destructive) results over 300 out to nearly 500.

Seem to be designed for good but not "explosive" expansion at lower velocities/longer distances/ lighter game. 1 inch, 3 shot inch groups at 300 with that rifle, but then so did the factory Corelokts, just 6 inches lower, 3 inches left at 300. And the 150 gr. mono SP GMX (somewhat less "explosive" at shorter ranges) printed 8 inches higher and 6 inches right of the SSTs at 300, and performed about like the SSTs from 300-500 yards or so.

No noticeable difference on killing efficiency between the SST and Corelokts at any range I used, for what that is worth.

Actually, the only SST I ever recovered was into the skull of a moose at 30 yards. Yes, I did use a rest.... smile

As LazyV said. I accidentally (more or less) shot a caribou through both hams at 200 yards (ranged). Blew a cantaloupe sized hole all the way through both. Embarrassing, but educational!

ChaseA1- what was the range and body weight for your deer?

Last edited by las; 12/11/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'm selling sst's off now to buy a different bullet

C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by las
I used .30-06 factory Super Performance 150 gr. SST at @ 3100fps on a number of caribou. Results as above under 300 or so. "Normal" ( efficient, but not overly destructive) results over 300 out to nearly 500.

Seem to be designed for good but not "explosive" expansion at lower velocities/longer distances/ lighter game. 1 inch, 3 shot inch groups at 300 with that rifle, but then so did the factory Corelokts, just 6 inches lower, 3 inches left at 300. And the 150 gr. mono SP GMX (somewhat less "explosive" at shorter ranges) printed 8 inches higher and 6 inches right of the SSTs at 300, and performed about like the SSTs from 300-500 yards or so.

No noticeable difference on killing efficiency between the SST and Corelokts at any range I used, for what that is worth.

Actually, the only SST I ever recovered was into the skull of a moose at 30 yards. Yes, I did use a rest.... smile

As LazyV said. I accidentally (more or less) shot a caribou through both hams at 200 yards (ranged). Blew a cantaloupe sized hole all the way through both. Embarrassing, but educational!
Yes

ChaseA1- what was the range and body weight for your deer?

100 yards was both of my shots and the deer was 170 pounds approximately. Muzzle velocity 2750 FPS. Both bullets never hit anything bigger than a rib.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Love them !

Shooting 95gr SST Superformance in my .243 & 117gr SST Superformance in my 25-06.

Through the slats, massive internal havoc ='s completely bled out, dead deer inside of 50 yards. Great blood trails too.

I hit a shoulder bone once, & lost that entire qtr to haemorrhaged, bone chip destroyed meat. This 117gr still exited.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
not a fan, had a bad experience with them and so did my mom this year on her deer. no way I'd use them again, VLDs are it for me now.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Excessive and wanton destruction that is not needed to kill a whitetail or mule deer. A simple cup and core bullet like a Corelockt, Power Point, Hornady interlock or even a plain Federal Blue box bullet provide all the killing a deer needs. If you are shooting long range then perhaps a more streamlined bullet or SST might be viable.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I shot them last year out of a 260 Remington. 129 grain SST's at well under 3000 fps. Shoulder shots, neck shots and rib shots. All equal dead deer. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. The caveat being that the starting velocity be under 3k fps. (or the shots taken be at 150 yards or greater).

Each his own.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I shot them last year out of a 260 Remington. 129 grain SST's at well under 3000 fps. Shoulder shots, neck shots and rib shots. All equal dead deer. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. The caveat being that the starting velocity be under 3k fps. (or the shots taken be at 150 yards or greater).

Each his own.

That's the bullet my mom was using. Shot was 175 yards and the bullet blew up on the shoulder near as we could tell. Deer never recovered. Not worth the gamble if you ask me.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I would never point a sst at cut of meat I wanted to eat...(grin) The wound channels are impressive.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A friend and his son have had nice results** on a handful of deer with the 95 grain SST out of a 243. The start speed isn't super high, the load is the typical 41 gr. H4350 shot from a 20" barrel. No bullets recovered.

** Good wound channels, no excessive damage.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Like early and late NBT’s, ya gotta know the vintage.

I gave up on SST’s 10-12 years ago, found them to be too irratic.

I hear the later ones are better, just haven’t gotten around to trying them.

Am using and liking late mfg NBT’s. Had given up on them, too. But that was back in the day when they seemed to blow up way too often. I get good performance with the current ones.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I too made the switch about the same time, NBTs when I use them have never given me a chance to look elsewhere. When the 260 factory one blew up on my mom's deer, that was only 3 weeks ago, so although many here think they are skookem, I'm still sceptical.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll try & remember to snap a pic of the 95gr SST I (surprisingly) recovered from this deer & post tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

(.243 @ 3100fps @ less than 100 yards)

Paul.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
SST 95 GR. Superformance, .243...approx. 20 deer. Few bang/flops or blood trails, but all dead within 50 yds. These are behind the shoulder shots , if I thought they had to drop quicker or leave a blood trail I would a NBT.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

Each his own.

That's the bullet my mom was using. Shot was 175 yards and the bullet blew up on the shoulder near as we could tell. Deer never recovered. Not worth the gamble if you ask me.

Interesting.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My brother shot a small buck with his 7mm-08 and 139 grain SST. Deer standing 75 away broadside. Just behind the shoulder entrance and exit straight down through the brisket - bullet never made it across the body cavity. Probably the strangest bullet results I have seen. Luckily, the exit at the bottom of the brisket bled pretty well and we recovered the deer.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Even though it's reported that the newer SST's are an improvement over the earlier ones, I'm still not convinced to try them again, based on my earlier disappointment.

To me, there are just too many good choices to circle back and try those again. I will keep reading reports, won't say never.

DF

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
These pics are of a buck shot@ 25 yds this year with a "newer version" 154 Gr SST from a 280 Rem. Deer stumbled another 25 yds and was down for the count

1st pic is entrance

Attached Images
thumbnail.jpg (96.33 KB, 292 downloads)
thumbnail (1).jpg (56.56 KB, 279 downloads)
Last edited by Highoctane; 12/13/18.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son got about a golf ball size exit and short blood trail from a 150 grain SST from his .308 this last season with a lung liver shot. I used an older version SST 139 grain from my 7mm-08 on my last deer and it dropped at the shot from a quartering to shot from a tree stand that probably got his spine. No exit on that one which will have me shooting up those old ones and getting the newer stronger constructed ones. I haven't had many down right there deer and I'm a little put off about watching an animal writhe around on the ground in front of me in its death throws instead of it going down 50 yards away and out of sight. Contrast that to a previous buck that took the 140 grain TSX Barnes that ran away and hid after leaving 5 drops of blood and I don't like that either.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Windfall
My son got about a golf ball size exit and short blood trail from a 150 grain SST from his .308 this last season with a lung liver shot. I used an older version SST 139 grain from my 7mm-08 on my last deer and it dropped at the shot from a quartering to shot from a tree stand that probably got his spine. No exit on that one which will have me shooting up those old ones and getting the newer stronger constructed ones. I haven't had many down right there deer and I'm a little put off about watching an animal writhe around on the ground in front of me in its death throws instead of it going down 50 yards away and out of sight. Contrast that to a previous buck that took the 140 grain TSX Barnes that ran away and hid after leaving 5 drops of blood and I don't like that either.

I'm not sure anyone is ecstatic about this part of hunting but it's all apart of it. Let's face it, a deer Down RT, shot through lungs/heart only lives a few seconds. I hope my death, when ever that is only takes that long...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'll have to remember a liver shot is a good shot next time I get ribbed for hitting one to far back!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And some folks would be amazed and maybe otherwise if they saw what it takes to die.... just cause it runs out of sight, all that means is you didn't witness the rest....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you're willing to shoot something you can't be squeamish about the aftermath.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
not a fan, had a bad experience with them and so did my mom this year on her deer. no way I'd use them again, VLDs are it for me now.

What was the issue Ryan?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
she hit it in the shoulder, bullet must have blew up, blood all over, broke bone. never recovered.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I shoot 'heavy for caliber' everything , 117gr. 25-06 , 162gr. 280ai - no wacky results so far . 208 amax in 308win. , my favorite - thanks MontanaMarine ! smile

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my experience, the present SST's act very much like Interlock Spire Points of the same diameter and weight IF driven to the same muzzle velocity.

Velocity is apparently big factor that creates so much controversy over bullet performance. It can even make a difference in much "harder" bulets than SST's (or Interlocks, Ballistic Tips, Core-Lokts, etc).

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot 140 grain SST's from a 270 WSM at 3175 fps. Most shots are between 200-250 yds. The exit wounds look much like common cup and core. I've hit deer at less than 100 yds too and the bullet still holds together. I like 'em.

Dan

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
This season's buck fell to a 200 grain Hornady Interlock RN out of my .35 Whelen, a quartering shot at 100 yds. The bullet passed thru the chest diagonally coming to rest just under the hide on the off side, it was perfectly mushroomed and weighed 122 grains.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
If you're willing to shoot something you can't be squeamish about the aftermath.

I'd heap rather watch'em die than have to go looking for'em...

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No matter how good a certain bullet or cartridge performs in the field, there will always be those who believe there just has to be something better.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
It's a matter of personal preference just like some guys prefer blondes, some brunettes and some redheads.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by mathman

I'd heap rather watch'em die than have to go looking for'em...

DF

Yes sir.
I like the hunting to be over with the trigger pull.
That theory drives my choices of chambering and bullet.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
I'll try & remember to snap a pic of the 95gr SST I (surprisingly) recovered from this deer & post tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

(.243 @ 3100fps @ less than 100 yards)

Finally remembered !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Your thoughts ?

Paul.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

Each his own.

Interesting.

Similar results to Crimson. 140gr SST out of 260 rem moving about 2700FPS from 30-100 yards. Recovered every deer within about 50 yards but NEVER an exit wound. Shot em in the shoulder, ribs and neck (neck shot was 30 yards). Even the neck shot never exited. The bullets worked, just not happy about the lack of exit (and never searched for the bullet.) Used 165gr SST in 300WM, those were a different story. Too much IMO. Got a big doe with a blood trail I was able to spot 80 yards away. The other two deer I took were quite devastating and lost more meat than I can justify for using them again on whitetail.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grandson shot a spike at 120 yards with a 123gr from a 7.62x39. No exit. Deer went 20 yards. Bullet got lost in the soup.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Not a speck of blood showing anywhere though in this case not needed.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I too made the switch about the same time, NBTs when I use them have never given me a chance to look elsewhere. When the 260 factory one blew up on my mom's deer, that was only 3 weeks ago, so although many here think they are skookem, I'm still sceptical.

Was that the .375 caliber bullet? Nosler discontinued these fairly quickly and converted them to the Accubond for better performance.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Wish I could post pics here....I shot a doe last night with a 165 sst out of my 30-06. Ran about 50 yards with a blood trail painted on the brush. The interesting part was when I walked to where she was when I shot and there was a piece of lung on the ground. And more one jump later. I’ve only had 3 not exit over years, all on larger bodied bucks that were hard quartering shots. All 3 were drt tho so I didn’t care.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Craig2506, was that a new box of those 165 SST's or from some years back? Mule Deer on here has said that the newer, tougher SST's work a lot like the Interlock bullets and my 165 grain Interlock buck did the same thing like you describe that SST doing. My old SST bullets gave me a DRT, but no exit so I'm on the cusp of shooting those up and either going new box SST's or Accubond to guarantee about a 2" diameter exit wound.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
In my Thompson Center Venture compact 243 win with 20" bbl and 2700FPS the 95 SST bullets have all resulted in 1 shot kills. All hits in lung/heart cavity and no bullets recovered. Range from 50 to 200 yards. About 1 out of 4 hits resulted with the deer dropped where hit. Not all instant death but no trailing involved. Of those hit with the 95 sst none have traveled more than 50 yards. The only negative is poor blood trails and often no blood trail. This is also the most accurate bullet I have tried in my rifle.
On the opposite side of my experience with the Hornady SST bullets is the 270 Winchester. The HEAVIER SST bullets were not as effective as I would prefer. Accuracy was not as good as Sierra prohunter or Remington cup & core. I did find the Hornady 120 SST marketed by Hornady as 6.8 caliber to perform extreamly well and accuracy was excellent in all of my 270s over the years. This combination resulted in more DRT kills than any other combination. I checked my records and that bullet in 270 averaged 70% DRT on Tennessee Whitetails weighing between 100 to 170 lbs.
I was disappointed with The SST in 7mm-08. The heavier SST bullets gave very good accuracy but expansion was questionable. Deer traveled farther and little blood trail. Exit holes were small. I don't think the heavier bullets expanded to deliver maximum energy. Only deer never recovered was with this combination. I should note that I did not try the lightest SSTs in 7mm-08 rifles.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Windfall, think I bought that box 4-5 years ago. Hadn’t used my 30-06 for a while but brought it back out this year.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My Tikka 7 mm mag put 7 deer down this year with 162 SST from 3 yds-170yds... all passed through with minor holes except one 8 pointer shot at 140 yds, which angled left of front shoulder and stopped under the skin back passed the diaphragm... and he ran 15 yds with no blood.... I was shocked that he ran at all.

I'm thinking that the bullet ex-spends all it's energy inside the body... which is good... but by the time it exits .... the bullet is small, and energy is way way down to the point of not blowing big holes out the exit side.

The one deer shot with 6.5 creedmoor with 140 sst @2600 fps, at 40 yds in lower part of front shoulder did run about 30 yds, with a small exit hole... not sure about blood trail... didn't look for it... just went to deer.

I loaded SST's in my two buddies rifles... 300 win mag - 180 sst... 6.5 creed -140 sst... and 7mm mag -162 sst... and they knocked things around pretty good... got no complaints on deer and hogs. I'm kinda stuck on the SST's... they seem to have it going on for an ALL-AROUND BULLET.

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The SST worked great on an antelope hunt with stellar accuracy and wide wound channel. The shot was taken at approx 275 yards with a Remington .243 rifle loaded with Black Hills Ammo featuring the 95 grain bullet.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I loaded them in a .308 one time and won't again. Loaded to 2650, the 150-grain absolutely exploded inside a small white-tailed doe at 100 yards, or so. The deer was dead, but no bullet should have come unwound like that. They are supposedly better now, but there are enough good bullets out there, that I don't feel a need to try them again. I think that they are the worst bullet that Hornady ever came up with.

They are accurate, though.

Last edited by sbhooper; 12/23/18.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
This is the damage to a buck shot with a 154 gr SST. I was using a 280 Rem. Shot distance was roughly 25 yds. Deer stumbled another 20 yds, laid down and gave up the ghost. 1st pic is entrance

Attached Images
thumbnail.jpg (96.33 KB, 278 downloads)
thumbnail (1).jpg (56.56 KB, 262 downloads)
Last edited by Highoctane; 12/23/18.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Enjoyed reading all the replies about the same kinda blow up results I got with 1st generation 130 gr .277's Nosler Ballistic Tips, only now it's SST's. Still damn hard to beat plain old Interlocks in my book. The 165 gr 30 cal SST bullets shot well in 2 of my 308's but haven't used them on deer yet and prolly won't. Loaded some of the 225 SST's in my 338-06 at over 2600 fps for deer, didn't get a shot on deer that day but smacked a coyote on the move with one it took out 4 ribs and a chunk of the shoulder blade. Down he went and as I was cycling the action up he came, taking off over the ridge into the draw on the other side. Made about 35 steps before he died. Guess maybe i'll use the rest of them on PD's?. Damn coyotes can be tough but jeez. I've shot and liked the accuracy from A MAXes but have not put them on meat. How are the new ELD X's?

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 12/27/18.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Loaded some of the 225 SST's in my 338-06 at over 2600 fps for deer, didn't get a shot on deer that day but smacked a coyote on the move with one it took out 4 ribs and a chunk of the shoulder blade. Down he went and as I was cycling the action up he came, taking off over the ridge into the draw on the other side. Made about 35 steps before he died. Guess maybe i'll use the rest of them on PD's?. Damn coyotes can be tough but jeez.

That was one tough coyote. shocked

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by himmelrr
I am not a fan. They were accurate but a bit too easy to blow up. I prefer the Interbond.

This

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[quote=Oldelkhunter]Excessive and wanton destruction that is not needed to kill a whitetail or mule deer. A simple cup and core bullet like a Corelockt, Power Point, Hornady interlock or even a plain Federal Blue box bullet provide all the killing a deer needs. If you are shooting long range then perhaps a more streamlined bullet or SST might be viable.[

Very well said!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've killed several deer with the SST....it just plain works for me.....but I do understand that it may be a tad soft for some......I quit the ballistic tip for that reason.....today it's Barnes that gets my spare cash.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

2010 killed 1 deer 162 gr SST 7mmRM 3100 fps muzzle, kills was at 400 yards Ruger #1, 1.75x6.5 scope

I got some bulk blems for a few pennies on the dollar from Lock Stock and Barrel when the tractor trailer from Hornady backed up to their loading dock. I got 240 pounds of bullets at 80# max per box UPS.

The only really good one were the SST

I have been hunting with Nos Ballistic tip bullets, that give the same accuracy and same hole in the game as SST.

36 big game animals in the freezer and I will now only use Accubonds, ballistic tips, and SSTs.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image]PA110001 by .com/photos/156296479N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
There are 170 grain SSTs in 8MM.

The 2 expanded bullets were recovered from a bull elk. 1st shot was about 165 yards and the 2nd shot was at about 190 or 200. Neither bullet went as deep as I like for elk hunting. In fact that is why I fired 2 rounds. The 2nd one didn't come apart and went about 22" deep. The 1st one shed it's core and went about 14 inches deep. The elk was still going after the first one hit and the lack of penetration left him able to go on, until I hit him the 2nd time. I have a split bullet next them so everyone can see the thickness (or thinness) of the jackets.

I have also killed several deer with these bullets and in all the deer but one, I got exits. Great big ones! The one that didn't give me an exit was a very large bodied Mule Deer I shot 2 seasons ago as it was facing me. The bullet hit at the junction of the neck and shoulder and went down the body. I looked but could not find it. Deer dropped dead at the shot. All were with the same load which gives me about 2500 FPS from my short barreled 8X57 Carbine. It has a 19 inch barrel.
[Linked Image]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by .com/photos/156296479N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

As a deer bullet I can give it high marks for accuracy but "just ok" for bullet performance.

In fact these bullets have given me the best accuracy I have ever had in my rifle, giving ragged hold groups at 100 yards from my rifle.

If fired at higher velocities I am better these would come apart every time.

I love their accuracy, but I have given up on them for hunting anything but varmints, and for practice. I am going back to the 200 grain Nosler Partition and the 180 grain GMX for elk in this rifle. Another bullet I'd like to try on deer is the 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip/Hunting. I think it's thicker jacket may be just what's needed for big deer and maybe even elk. If I buy some I'll post my results for accuracy and if I live long enough to get some more elk with this rifle I will post the results too.

No, I am not dying (that I know of), but at 63 years old I don't know how many more elk I will kill, and I have about 7 other rifles I want to use and about 20 other bullets I want to test in them, so I know I am not going to be able to test all I'd like to. But I'll keep doing it until I can't. I no longer hunt in 3-5 states every year, so I will probably only kill elk in Wyoming and maybe in Idaho or Montana now and then, but my days of being able to shoot 10-16 head of game every year seem to be dwindling.

This getting-old-stuff ---- kinda sucks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone try 180gr SSTs in a 308 for deer? Gotta bunch here that I need to use up. Hoping the heavier weight and lower velocity will improve results.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Anyone try 180gr SSTs in a 308 for deer? Gotta bunch here that I need to use up. Hoping the heavier weight and lower velocity will improve results.

According to the Knowledge Base website it does. Would like to hear of some real world results myself.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

I’ve got the same issue, a bunch of leftover 180 SSTs that shot well in my last 30-06 but don’t seem to shoot worth a crap in my current one. Going to load them up in some 308 rounds to put through my BLR, hoping it’ll make for a nice little woods round for close range white tails.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by szihn

The 2 expanded bullets were recovered from a bull elk. 1st shot was about 165 yards and the 2nd shot was at about 190 or 200. Neither bullet went as deep as I like for elk hunting. In fact that is why I fired 2 rounds. The 2nd one didn't come apart and went about 22" deep. The 1st one shed it's core and went about 14 inches deep. The elk was still going after the first one hit and the lack of penetration left him able to go on, until I hit him the 2nd time. I have a split bullet next them so everyone can see the thickness (or thinness) of the jackets.

I have also killed several deer with these bullets and in all the deer but one, I got exits. Great big ones! The one that didn't give me an exit was a very large bodied Mule Deer I shot 2 seasons ago as it was facing me. The bullet hit at the junction of the neck and shoulder and went down the body. I looked but could not find it. Deer dropped dead at the shot. All were with the same load which gives me about 2500 FPS from my short barreled 8X57 Carbine. It has a 19 inch barrel.
[Linked Image]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by .com/photos/156296479N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

As a deer bullet I can give it high marks for accuracy but "just ok" for bullet performance.

In fact these bullets have given me the best accuracy I have ever had in my rifle, giving ragged hold groups at 100 yards from my rifle.

I love their accuracy, but I have given up on them for hunting anything but varmints, and for practice. I am going back to the 200 grain Nosler Partition and the 180 grain GMX for elk in this rifle. Another bullet I'd like to try on deer is the 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip/Hunting. I think it's thicker jacket may be just what's needed for big deer and maybe even elk. If I buy some I'll post my results for accuracy and if I live long enough to get some more elk with this rifle I will post the results too.

No, I am not dying (that I know of), but at 63 years old I don't know how many more elk I will kill, and I have about 7 other rifles I want to use and about 20 other bullets I want to test in them, so I know I am not going to be able to test all I'd like to. But I'll keep doing it until I can't. I no longer hunt in 3-5 states every year, so I will probably only kill elk in Wyoming and maybe in Idaho or Montana now and then, but my days of being able to shoot 10-16 head of game every year seem to be dwindling.

Good report Steve, thanks. As you and I are the same age, I can understand your sentiments all too well. Lets stay in the game and do what we can, when we can. Let the pieces fall where they may.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I've had excellent results from the 180's for both deer and elk at 30-06 velocities. Pass-throughs and large wound channels. Heavy-for-cal SST's are one of my favorite bullets.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

I've had excellent results from the 180's for both deer and elk at 30-06 velocities. Pass-throughs and large wound channels. Heavy-for-cal SST's are one of my favorite bullets.

Good to hear. Will start with this bullet. I generally like heavy C&C bullets. We generally don't get a lot of LR hunting here so a few FPS is of no consequence.

Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I acquired a box of 100 SST 180 grain blems that I loaded in my .30-06 at not much more than .308W velocity (about 2700). I can testify to their accuracy and good effect on feral pit bull and big hogs. My preference is 180 Speer Hotcor RN for killing effect but the SST is noticeably more accurate. The only more accurate bullet I've used is the 155 Scenar but I've occasionally experienced big hogs running off several hundred yards with Scenar due to lack of expansion. I admit that said hogs were big and hit a little high or behind the lungs but an SST or even a Core-lokt would have put them down much quicker.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I posted briefly on this thread earlier, but will provide some details. In 2017 some companions and I took around 30 whitetails and feral pigs in Texas with 150-grain .308 factory ammo loaded with 150-grain SST's. Do not know the exact muzzle velocity in the 22" barrels of the rifles we were using, but would guess it was around 2750. EVERY bullet exited, even on angling and bone shots through deer weighing (on scales, not guessed) 180 pounds, and pigs weighing 200.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Much as I like the Hornady Interlock, I like the SST a little better because it doesn't batter the nose of the cartridges in the magazine during recoil. Not that it makes much difference at the deer distance where I hunt. Watching Lock-N-Load last evening on the Military Channel, they had a segment on Hornady what looked like a .308 fragmenting vs. SST vs. FMJ in ballistic gel and the SST did 18" with a heck of a large early permanent cavity. Now that they toughened them up, I'm shooting up all my old ones that gave me DRT on my last buck, but no exit and to my way of thinking, no exit is a bullet failure.

My other auto is a .45

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Having shot them in several different calibers, I suggest considering them as different bullets. Hornady seems to tune their bullets to the cartridge and likely impact velocity. They have SSTs in the same caliber within a few grains of each other that would be an elk bullet in one cartridge but a varmint bullet in another.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by szihn

Agreed. I am going on 65 and I can't seem to talk myself into another trip west for elk. I have become a fan of easy deer and antelope hunts. I have a doe antelope to kill here in Nebraska and a couple doe deer tags yet to fill. I am at 34 deer for the year (27 were depredation in July), so I get a little testing done!

I am a fan of Hornady Interlocks in whatever caliber, for use on deer at normal ranges. I also really like the 147 ELDM Hornadys in my Creed. They are fantastic on deer at about any range that you care to shoot them.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good deer bullets, little light on elk. I have shot several mule deer with a 30-06 and 150 or 180 sst's - all resulted in dead deer with minimal tracking. Meat damage was minimal as I like to shoot through the ribs. Shot a 5 point bull elk at 180 yards with a 30-06 and 180 sst. bullet hit right behind the shoulder, shot straight up into the spine. Bull dropped like a rock but not what I had expected. Have since switched to 180 gr Interlocks for elk and 150 gr Interlocks for deer. Better result with complete pass throughs (both deer and elk) and nice expansion. I think the sst's are fine at lower velocities but feel that they are pretty explosive over about 2700 fps.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Hunter in camp shot a big doe with 150 grain SST out of a 308 at 50 yards. Bullet blew up on the shoulder and we lost the deer. I had a few boxes because they shoot very accurately from my rifle. I only use them now for target practice.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So, if the deer was not recovered, how do you know what the bullet did or didn't do?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

150 gr SST 308 @ 50 yds "splashing" on a deer shoulder...In the words of ol uncle Ted, "are you kidding me"....BS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Highoctane

150 gr SST 308 @ 50 yds "splashing" on a deer shoulder...In the words of ol uncle Ted, "are you kidding me"....BS

Yep, didn't happen !

Paul.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Let's compare evidence:

Originally Posted by Gladesman
Hunter in camp shot a big doe with 150 grain SST out of a 308 at 50 yards. Bullet blew up on the shoulder and we lost the deer. I had a few boxes because they shoot very accurately from my rifle. I only use them now for target practice.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I posted briefly on this thread earlier, but will provide some details. In 2017 some companions and I took around 30 whitetails and feral pigs in Texas with 150-grain .308 factory ammo loaded with 150-grain SST's. Do not know the exact muzzle velocity in the 22" barrels of the rifles we were using, but would guess it was around 2750. EVERY bullet exited, even on angling and bone shots through deer weighing (on scales, not guessed) 180 pounds, and pigs weighing 200.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by smokepole
So, if the deer was not recovered, how do you know what the bullet did or didn't do?

Two people saw the hit low on the shoulder. One can see a hit at close range. Should have broken bones. Found hair at the spot, no blood. We spent half a day looking for other sign and never found it. Only explanation we can think of. Either that or it penciled through both shoulders and the deer ran off and never bled. Never saw one run off far after a good shoulder hit like that. Hard to run with broken shoulders. Maybe there is another explanation, but I do not know what it is. With a hit like that any bullet that stayed together should have put the deer down within a reasonable distance.

By the way, we have seen this before when a bullet has blown up on the surface and the deer was killed by another shooter. Found nothing but hair then, too. That time it was a Leverevolution out of a 45-70, right after that bullet came out.

Last edited by Gladesman; 01/11/19.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
So a slow moving 45-70 bullet blew up into dust on a shoulder ??

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by jmd025
So a slow moving 45-70 bullet blew up into dust on a shoulder ??

Yes. When the Leverevolution ammo first came out, bullets exploding was a fairly common problem. A lot of guys hunt with 45-70 here for primitive weapon season. There were a lot of pissed off hunters and the round got a bad reputation. Lot of thick timber around here and shots are often really close. The problem was with the first year of the introduction. I know of a lot of boxes of the LE ammo that got sent back to Hornady. Poor quality control or bad design, but Hornady fixed the issue pretty quick. Have not heard of the problem now in several years.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well it sounds far fetched . Sorry . I’ve used SSTs and the leverevolution ammo in a fair quantity . While I’ll say the sst pushed at 257 Wby velocities expands right the heck now ... they work . I can’t fathom a 45 anything pushed at any velocity between 600 FPS and 3600 FPS failing to penetrate a whitetail . You could probably break skin with that projectile launched from an adult slingshot . (Sorry that’s far fetched , about the same as hearing a 300+ gr bullet in 45 caliber , moving along as it should , blah blah you get my point )

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Amen .

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Gladesman

Two people saw the hit low on the shoulder. One can see a hit at close range. Should have broken bones. Found hair at the spot, no blood. We spent half a day looking for other sign and never found it. Only explanation we can think of. Either that or it penciled through both shoulders and the deer ran off and never bled. Never saw one run off far after a good shoulder hit like that. Hard to run with broken shoulders. Maybe there is another explanation, but I do not know what it is. With a hit like that any bullet that stayed together should have put the deer down within a reasonable distance.

By the way, we have seen this before when a bullet has blown up on the surface and the deer was killed by another shooter. Found nothing but hair then, too. That time it was a Leverevolution out of a 45-70, right after that bullet came out.

So, you think it's more likely that two completely different bullets both "blew up" and left no blood, just hair? More likely than at least one of those shots being placed poorly?

Color me skeptical. The simplest explanation is usually the best and two different bullets blowing up and not drawing blood is not the simplest explanation.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Think what you like. Does not bother me.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes, and I extend the same courtesy to you. "Bullet failure" is a handy thing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Close shots are usually woods hunting situations where some amount of brush is encountered and as far as I'm concerned, a guy has an air tight excuse for missing where they were aiming if they get bullet brush deflection. What I thought was a broadside lung shot with my 7 mag dropped the buck in his tracks from a broken neck with the bullet going in SIDEWAYS.

My other auto is a .45

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In my experience "shoulder" shots can yield surprising results. I agree that a SST is statistically unlikely to blow up and leave only a surface crater on the shoulder a deer. But hit just perfectly in the juncture of the Humerus/Scapula joint, and bullet failure and lack of penetration is a real possibility. I've seen that joint stop a few bullets after only 2" of travel with no more penetration and a couple other times thats that bullets showed extreme deflection. It takes a very tough bullet to hit the ball of the humerus and continue through the cup of the scapula joint and keep penetrating in a straight line. I don't personally like how the SST fragments and ruins good meat, but I think they will reliably smash a deers' scapula and continue on to destroy lungs or spine from broadside. I'm not sure I would blame the bullet for "blowing up" on a quartering towards shot that perfectly centred the scapula / humerus joint.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Tried a 165 gr SST 30-06 Superperformance on a doe the other day. Went straight down at 50 yards. Lots of tissue damage but no pass through.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
337 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.