Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Cool guns Gee!!!! I think you might have Shrap and Varmint Guy beat!!

Nah!

[Linked Image]

I'm just "bush league" when it comes to those guys!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Very nice rifles GeeDub!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by 16bore
So what's the deal? Stuff still dies whether it's improved or not, right?

223 AI

[Linked Image]

yup!

GWB

This is why you should never run with scissors šŸ˜Ž

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
ā€œMolon Labeā€
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I used an Ackley reamed out Mod 700 classic 35 Whelen for a tad over 20 years. I always used new, fireformed brass with my hunting loads, but never had a blown primer, etc. I used loads that were truly wildcat in speed/pressure, though you would never know it by the looks of the brass/primer pockets nor bolt lift. IF I was NOT legally blind in my left eye ( after 2002) I would still use it and its favored loads. all it takes is one time to hurt my "good eye". ha. So yeah, I love the Ackleys, the Gibbs, the Shermans...anything like that, but one has to gamble IF you want to gain much speed over the factory round. QuickLoad can help, as a good chronograph. No way to get extra speed without extra pressure...even I know that, ha. But they are a Handloaders Dream....and most of us get to handload/shoot/dream way more than we get to hunt. smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 12/07/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, the common sense answer is "it depends". The cartridge life issues and other considerations have been well documented and the rifle looneyism exhibited on this site particularly makes this discussion almost a constant drumbeat at times. However, as far as AI rounds being actually "improved" depends on what case you start with.

I've seen several rounds "Ackley'd" over the years that benefitted very little by the addition of sharper shoulders, etc.... simply due to the fact they already had a fairly sharp shoulder to start with and moving it forward gained very little in powder capacity. On the other hand, a good example would be my 300 H&H Improved case, which goes from a gently sloping case to basically a 300 Weatherby case when fireformed, which is a fairly substantial increase in my case. This also results in a fair number of split cases the way I do it. My 223 AI gained a pretty substantial amount in velocity also and the accuracy of the rifle is amazing at times- especially considering I am the one shooting it.

I read in a Nosler reloading book one time about fireforming cases and the author- a well known gun writer and tester who I've forgotten his name at the moment- stated that fireforming can be some of the most accurate your rifle will ever shoot. He wasn't sure why this was so, but his experience- which was substantial- was that this was often the case. I have found this to be true with my rifles. My 300 H&H Improved, 223AI, and a couple others are amazingly accurate while fireforming. Slightly more even than when I load the formed cases and shoot them after. Has anyone else had this experience?

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've tried two 30-06 Improveds, with disappointing results. One was a 24" barrel, the other was a 26". I didn't have any of the new wonder powders though. I also had a 22" 280AI ( reamed out Mod 700 Mtn rifle) it was finicky, only liked two bullets, the Nosler 150BT and the Speer 160HC. I got 2950 with the Nosler and 2800 with the 160. Only about 50fps better than standard. It was a worthwhile experience, and I and a buddy killed lots of game with it. I wouldn't want one with less than 26" today. But that's just me. One great benefit I see of any Improved round is you can load to "optimum velocity" of the standard round but with less pressure. 50-100 fps over the standard would begin stretching primer pockets in the old 35 Whelen. With that long throated Remington I gained powder space by (a) seating the bullets way out and (b) Ackleyized. Sure, you can run them pretty hot, but, as said, at a risk. I did the same thing with a Mod 700 Classic (24"bbl) in .257 Roberts. It was my "first" experience with the Ackley. I had it set up right with a crush fit chamber for standard rounds. I seated the Hornady 120HP way out and "even used" Ackleys loads from his book! Wow! I never chronographed it, but it had to be humming, ha. It was a death ray on crows and deer in East Texas! Lots of fun. Needed? nah...I went on and played with the 25-06 ( very, very good 25 caliber round) and the "real sweetheart", the 257 Weatherby...."now that's a 25 caliber"! ha. My only gripe with the Weatherby is the soft Norma made cases. Federal wasn't much better back then. I didn't even try to make them from .264 WinMag WW cases, but that certainly is an option.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Sheister
Well, the common sense answer is "it depends". The cartridge life issues and other considerations have been well documented and the rifle looneyism exhibited on this site particularly makes this discussion almost a constant drumbeat at times. However, as far as AI rounds being actually "improved" depends on what case you start with.

I've seen several rounds "Ackley'd" over the years that benefitted very little by the addition of sharper shoulders, etc.... simply due to the fact they already had a fairly sharp shoulder to start with and moving it forward gained very little in powder capacity. On the other hand, a good example would be my 300 H&H Improved case, which goes from a gently sloping case to basically a 300 Weatherby case when fireformed, which is a fairly substantial increase in my case. This also results in a fair number of split cases the way I do it. My 223 AI gained a pretty substantial amount in velocity also and the accuracy of the rifle is amazing at times- especially considering I am the one shooting it.

I read in a Nosler reloading book one time about fireforming cases and the author- a well known gun writer and tester who I've forgotten his name at the moment- stated that fireforming can be some of the most accurate your rifle will ever shoot. He wasn't sure why this was so, but his experience- which was substantial- was that this was often the case. I have found this to be true with my rifles. My 300 H&H Improved, 223AI, and a couple others are amazingly accurate while fireforming. Slightly more even than when I load the formed cases and shoot them after. Has anyone else had this experience?

Sheister, to answer your last paragraph. I have very limited experience with improved cartridges, but have found this to be true when fireforming for my .375AI. At 100 yards, it was just making a ragged hole. Wish I had measured that 20 round group! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

ā€œIā€™d like to be a good riflemanā€¦..but, I prefer to be a good hunterā€! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, the common sense answer is "it depends".

I gave up on Ackley improved in 2002 after formed cases took too much effort and hot loads gave them loose primer pockets.

2002 with 3 other guys we built (4) 257 Roberts Ackley improved rifles on surplus Mauser actions with Lothar Walther heavy varmint barrels.
2012 I built a 257 Roberts Ackley improved rimmed rifle on a Uberti 1885 falling block action and shot 4 deer with it.
2015 I bought a 250 Krag Ackley reamer and have done nothing with it.
2018 I built a 280 Ackley rifle on a Win M70 action and shot a deer and 3 antelope
2018 I built a 280 Ackley rifle on a Sav 110 action
2018 I bought a 280 Ackley Kimber 84 rifle and shot a deer with it.

In 2018 I was back into Ackley improved.
What changed?
I could buy Nosler 280AI brass

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb

Sheister, to answer your last paragraph. I have very limited experience with improved cartridges, but have found this to be true when fireforming for my .375AI. At 100 yards, it was just making a ragged hole. Wish I had measured that 20 round group! memtb

Positive headspace on the form load, not so positive on the AI load depending on how you size the brass.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
16bore, I was improving a belted case (.375 H&H), maybe the fireforming loads at over 1000 fps less velocity helped some. grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

ā€œIā€™d like to be a good riflemanā€¦..but, I prefer to be a good hunterā€! memtb 2024
IC B3

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Could be I reckon. Don't The forming loads for a belted AI still have a crush on the shoulder?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
16bore, If I understand what your saying....when fireforming ā€œbeltedā€ cases, I think they chamber upon the belt. Maybe that helps in the forming process! Correct headspacing, etc.

It must be pretty simple.....or I would have screwed it up! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/08/18.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most belted brass is 0.195" or less.
Most factory belted rifles are headspaced at 0.200" or greater.
That is a lot of stretching.

I prefer to headspace my belted rifles to fit a lifetime purchase of brass.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I managed 10 reloadings, on my last batch of 100. I had one separated in front of the web.....tossed the other 99! memtb

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by memtb

Mines the same way. Federal 300 grain Partitions will stack shots on top of one another from my rifle. Itā€™s nice to have an accurate factory load if I ever needed it.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Nominal minimum headspace on most belted case chambers is .220" Most belted brass will measure between .213" and .216". Very rarely, one will see brass at less than .212" and greater than .217" GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greydog
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Nominal minimum headspace on most belted case chambers is .220" Most belted brass will measure between .213" and .216". Very rarely, one will see brass at less than .212" and greater than .217" GD

Thanks greydog..

That was on the 8th.

They injected me with Fentanyl IVP 100mcgr and Propofol 360 mgs

The doctor warned me that for the rest of the day I should not make financial decisions, drive,.... he did not mention internet posts.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
So... no internet and no heavy equipment! At least you have a valid alibi. When I make mistakes (often), that's me at my best and my only excuse is that I'm just not that smart. GD

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I feed belted case Virgins,the same as any other...with a false shoulder and of course headspace same.

Hint.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big Stick, Mr. Nobody, get yourself a lathe as fix those factory belted magnum headspace jobs to fit the brass.

$5k with DRO and 50 sq ft of shop space... you can do it.

Having a machine shop is like having a microwave. You will not be able to live without it.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (02bfishn, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,471
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.