Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Hi guys,

I thought you might be interested in an experiment I ran to determine if I could make a cheap case neck induction annealer. The experiment was not a success but you may learn something from the article which is posted at the following link.

http://www.texas-mac.com/Cheap_Case_Neck_Induction_Annealer_Experiment.html

Wayne

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I use a much cheaper method.. I hold the case between my finger and thumb towards the base of the cartridge, and heat it with a torch until it is too hot to hold, and then drop it into a pan of water. done in about three seconds per case... works every time..

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
This set-up works great, inexpensive. After you get the hang of it, ya don't need the indicator fluid.
And can move fast and steady. love it.

smile

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Isn’t induction annealing inducing a currentof electricity. Such as induction hardening valve seats?

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by foogle
Isn’t induction annealing inducing a current of electricity. Such as induction hardening valve seats?

Yes, induction heating is the 1st step in hardening valves and valve seats, followed by quickly cooling. The induction coil generates rapidly changing magnetic fields through the valve and seat material which results in rapidly changing eddy currents. Resistance to the eddy currents generates the heat necessay for valve heating as it does case necks. Of course with case necks the cooling step is not used, but even if the case necks are rapidly cooled after heating it would not harden the necks since brass only hardens through "work-hardening".

Last edited by texasmac; 12/22/18.

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm currently working on building this homemade one using the attached plans gotten from the Accurate Shooter website.

case annealer

Last edited by sackett; 12/25/18.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My feeble little brain can NOT figure out how you would induce a current in a non-ferrous material.
Can you educate me?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by mark shubert
My feeble little brain can NOT figure out how you would induce a current in a non-ferrous material.
Can you educate me?

Mark,

The same way current is induced in ferrous materials (materials containing iron), either with a magnetic field or applying a difference in voltage potential across the material. Keep in mind that non-ferrous wire such as copper & aluminum carry most of the current requirements used is the world today. In fact, due to the relatively low resistance, current is much easier to induce in non-ferrous materials which is why it's the most common material used to transmit electricity. But for the same reason it's also harder to generate heat in non-ferrous material using induction techniques.

Wayne

Last edited by texasmac; 12/25/18.

See www.texas-mac.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1minute, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,746
Posts18,457,750
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.