Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by tpcollins
I hate Capitol One - don’t know why, I just do..

I know why I do - they suspended my account multiple times while I was stationed in Europe - with no warning - and the amount didn't seem matter when triggered.

Can't tell you how many times I was checking out of an inn, a guasthauf, or the worst - Disneyland Paris - and "your card has been declined" - WTF???

Would have to call them direct, talk through two-three levels of fraud protection, then wait anywhere from minutes to hours for the card to re-activated.

We'd go through the whole military living overseas drill , from this month/year to this month/year with the account manager - "No problem sir, we'll note the account - this won't happen again." (I believed them the first two times)

What's in your wallet? Not Capital One anymore....

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got the shaft during the changeover as well. Mailed my check to Cabelas 2 weeks in advance. It never got cashed. Then my Capital One statement showed up and said I had a late fee for nonpayment. Called Capital One and explained that the check had gone to Cabelas Visa and never cashed. She put me on hold for like 15 minutes before coming back and telling me they were going to give me a one time waiver on the late fee even though it wasn't my fault. Totally pissed me off. Fearing that the original check was floating around somewhere I cancelled it, paid Capital One via online and two days later see where they tried to cash my original check that had been cancelled. Dumbest schtt I've ever seen in my life.

I've since moved all of my automatic charges ( car wash, Direct TV, gym memberships) over to the Ducks Unlimited Visa. I get more back on every purchase than I do Capital One and no annual fee. I have one more payment due on the balance of my Capital One and then I'm not using it anymore. Noting what's been posted above, I won't cancel the account, but the card is getting cut up for sure.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been with Capital for 30 years or longer( stated with a card they took over) have always been treated very well and have problems (if not mine) taken care of quickly so no compliant here. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm actually kind of surprised to see that people are still sending checks by mail.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Capital One sucks. Period.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I'm actually kind of surprised to see that people are still sending checks by mail.

I know! I'm kinda old school though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DubThomas

Not criticizing that. I'm old-school about some things too. But I like to see instant results, and I would have guessed more people are way ahead of me on that.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Well FreeMe, at 81 checks are the way I have always done it. Guess I'm afraid of being hacked or something like that. Just to set the record straight I have an excellent credit score, I feel I mailed the check in plenty of time to get there, and I feel you are assuming many things that are not true is why I resented your post and now you posts. Apparently I'm not as bright as you and don't have the answers for everything in life which you apparently do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by coyote268
Well FreeMe, at 81 checks are the way I have always done it. Guess I'm afraid of being hacked or something like that. Just to set the record straight I have an excellent credit score, I feel I mailed the check in plenty of time to get there, and I feel you are assuming many things that are not true is why I resented your post and now you posts. Apparently I'm not as bright as you and don't have the answers for everything in life which you apparently do.

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. But, you come here to complain, and you may likely get a male-type response. I thought it was just my wife and daughter who only wanted me to listen, but not give advice.

Going out on a limb here....just because you're old, doesn't mean you have to keep doing things the old way.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No Capital One use anymore at all never again. Long story short. Wife had a couple of instances of identity theft; one quite serious with the culprit filing IRS 1040 using her name and SS#. And got a refund paid by debit card. Thought everything had settled out when one day a new Capital One credit card shows up in the mail. Lucky, very lucky it came to us.

Capital One had issued a new card with her as the primary card holder at the request of someone identifying themselves as the secondary card holder. Obviously the card was intended by the thief to be mailed to him/her and we lucked out. Had quite a heated discussion with Capital One. Still believe inside help was involved just not bright enough to keep the addresses straight.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DubThomas

Not criticizing that. I'm old-school about some things too. But I like to see instant results, and I would have guessed more people are way ahead of me on that.

I knew you weren't criticizing. I forgot to use the smiley face emoji at the end. eek

I've had my identity/cc information stolen before so I'm pretty leery about paying bills via internet. Kinda funny though, I will buy things via the internet and use my cc. I'm just weird like that I guess.

Last edited by DubThomas; 12/11/18.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just as an aside - I have been the target of credit card fraud a few times. Every time, it was caught by the card company on the spot. Couple of times with Cabelas and another time with a Mastercard. In those cases (yes, even with the old Cabelas) the card was locked and replaced. At least twice with Cabelas (old visa) it was frozen because of a charge I made while traveling that looked suspicious to them, and I got no warning about it. I had to call them to straighten it out. I will never complain about that. I'd rather have them over-vigilant than the other way around.

It is not always a stolen card or number that gets you. Nor a hack, in the usual sense. Sometimes, it's just a random number pick. You don't actually have to use your card to be a victim of fraud. You don't actually even have to have an account. I had one identity theft years ago before the internet even existed. Actually, two, come to think of it. These days, it is just a good idea to have identity protection. Mine gives me notice at any little change in my credit history - even the legitimate ones (which has happened a few times) so that I can verify.

Another thing.....
All the card companies I have dealt with recently offer a service that you can set up through their website with your choice of a phone call, text, and/or email notification. It's in your best interest to give them permission to connect you to that service. It's usually part of your account settings that you can change any time. Trust me - if they think they should call you, you want them to.

.....and another thing....

Everyone should have their CC service dept phone number on speed dial.

Last edited by FreeMe; 12/11/18.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just as an aside - I have been the target of credit card fraud a few times. Every time, it was caught by the card company on the spot. Couple of times with Cabelas and another time with a Mastercard. In those cases (yes, even with the old Cabelas) the card was locked and replaced. At least twice with Cabelas (old visa) it was frozen because of a charge I made while traveling that looked suspicious to them, and I got no warning about it. I had to call them to straighten it out. I will never complain about that. I'd rather have them over-vigilant than the other way around.

It is not always a stolen card or number that gets you. Nor a hack, in the usual sense. Sometimes, it's just a random number pick. You don't actually have to use your card to be a victim of fraud. You don't actually even have to have an account. I had one identity theft years ago before the internet even existed. Actually, two, come to think of it. These days, it is just a good idea to have identity protection. Mine gives me notice at any little change in my credit history - even the legitimate ones (which has happened a few times) so that I can verify.

My Cabelas card has been hacked twice. The first time was for $2500, the second for about $300. It was a PITA getting it all straightened out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Latest I had here was on the Mastercard. Pretty sure the wife fell victim to one of those surreptitious card readers at the gas pump. Hit with a charge for $5k and $750. They denied those charges and called me immediately. Asked if it was us - I said "no". They verified the legitimate charges preceding, killed that card, and sent a new one out right away.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Latest I had here was on the Mastercard. Pretty sure the wife fell victim to one of those surreptitious card readers at the gas pump. Hit with a charge for $5k and $750. They denied those charges and called me immediately. Asked if it was us - I said "no". They verified the legitimate charges preceding, killed that card, and sent a new one out right away.

One of the biggest risks are the waiters/waitresses that take your card away to run it and also take a pic of it with their phone and they have the CVV number. This is one way that the US is way behind other countries where they bring the chip reader to the table. It doesn't really matter how many steps you take to protect yourself it is best to think you are always going to subject to fraud and watch your stuff religiously.

Keeping all this in mind I would never ever ever use a debit card. It is true that the bank will return your money in the case of fraud, but that doesn't prevent other legit transactions hitting your account at the same time without sufficient funds. You could be subject to bounced payment fees to those vendors. At least with a credit card you are using the banks funds until it gets sorted out.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JMR40
A big part of your credit score is based on the ratio of credit available vs how much you owe. If you have 3-4 cards with a total of $30,000 of available credit, but only owe $1000 that looks good and will give you a good score. Cancel a card with $10,000 of credit and you now owe $1000 with only $20,000 of credit available. While still good, your FICO score will go down because of the ratios.

If you owe ZERO, or if you never actually use the cards and only have $2000 available credit, your score will be low enough that it could hurt you when trying to get a loan for a house of car. Banks aren't interested in the fact that you owe nothing. They want to see how well you can manage money and show discipline by using credit wisely. The guy who owes nothing may be a good risk, may be a bad risk. But to get credit at good rates you need to prove you are a good risk. Your FICO score is also used to determine insurance rates and many employers check it before hiring.

The creditors prefer to see you maintain their card at a 10 ~ 20% balance. If you stay within those parameters and make your payments a few days early, without fail, you get the biggest boost in your credit scores.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

The creditors prefer to see you maintain their card at a 10 ~ 20% balance.

No doubt.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

The creditors prefer to see you maintain their card at a 10 ~ 20% balance.

No doubt.

Yeah, I know...I'd bet anything they never considered offering credit for no fee.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbob

One of the biggest risks are the waiters/waitresses that take your card away to run it and also take a pic of it with their phone and they have the CVV number. This is one way that the US is way behind other countries where they bring the chip reader to the table. It doesn't really matter how many steps you take to protect yourself it is best to think you are always going to subject to fraud and watch your stuff religiously.

Keeping all this in mind I would never ever ever use a debit card. It is true that the bank will return your money in the case of fraud, but that doesn't prevent other legit transactions hitting your account at the same time without sufficient funds. You could be subject to bounced payment fees to those vendors. At least with a credit card you are using the banks funds until it gets sorted out.

Yep. Good point. That is part of why I pay cash at most restaurants.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Longbob

Yep. Good point. That is part of why I pay cash at most restaurants.

I don't mind using cards at restaurants. I get 4.5% back when I use a certain one at restaurants. I monitor all my transactions on Mint for a couple of reasons. One being to monitor for fraud and the other is that I log all my transactions into my budget program. No surprises on fraud or expenses. I also play the point game on my cards. Really it is a combination of points and miles since we mainly fly American Airlines.

There is an extension you can put on Chrome that will give you AA miles at many places you shop. We ended up logging over 55,000 miles for our Christmas purchases last year along with the points on the cards. It was double dipping. There is a pretty good website that ferrets out a lot of this called The Points Guy. www.thepointsguy.com

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 1,943 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.