-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I been using one-piecers for a while now. Not them fancy-handled, wriststrap kind like kingstons. But your everyday golf-club handled carbon fiber cow pokers.

https://www.bigdweb.com/product/weaver+stierwalt+carbon+fiber+show+stick+54+inch.do

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Let me know how you like the Ultimates...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Used Leki ‘Cristallo’ poles (actually just one pole) chasing bucks in PA and NY this year. It’s really great to have an extra point of contact with the ground, especially when going downhill or on rocky terrain. Just ordered Cascade Mountain Tech carbon cork poles. I’m sold.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Camofire has several Lekki poles on sale today.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For snowshoeing I have a pair of BD Carbon trekking poles. However, for backpacking and hunting I far and away prefer a single adjustable cane (think the security of an ice axe) that allows one hand to remain free.

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trekking poles reduce strain, pain and swelling in my knees when packing a load downhill, especially on a trail when I can stride out. They make a BIG difference for me. I use them constantly, up, down or sidehill.

I have some older Lekki's, and like them for hiking. For hunting, I prefer a wooden single stick, about head high length as someone else recommended (Las?). It is quieter than metal or synthetic when I inevitably bump things, is infinitely adjustable to terrain slopes, and it does not matter if I forget and leave it somewhere. In recent years I've used one pole for most shots on game. I often just pick up a suitable pole or two, and discard as the day progresses and my need for a pole changes. I have two in the garage now that have braced me for several animals and are begging me to keep them and make them real “gear.”

In the Pacific North West, wild hazelnut/filberts produce excellent hiking poles that are straight, the right diameter and lightweight once dried. White oak from the South is also good but heavy.

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/10/18. Reason: brevity
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For those of us from the south, willow works great. It is light, strong, and available. The old timers used it to make flag poles; I have done the same for a number of carry use options.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Walking sticks aside.....it's the wrist strap that makes a trekking pole work for you.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Walking sticks aside.....it's the wrist strap that makes a trekking pole work for you.

Absolutely, just like ski poles.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I used a pair on my first sheep hunt in 1998 - a combo rifle rest and pole which both eventually broke in the rocks. But that trip demonstrated the value they have for keeping balance on sidehills, slippery or muddy ground, fording streams, stabilizers when snowshoeing and whacking Devil's Club. Never went out west or subsequent trips to AK without them. I broke my last Leki years ago and now buy much cheaper versions. When they break, I don't feel so bad. The bottom line is that they are a valuable asset in the mountains.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 12/09/18.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by kingston

Yes, and some cut the straps off....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Yes, and some cut the straps off....

I wouldn't use mine without the straps.....the straps are there to cary your weight at the wrist

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Due to an injury, trekking poles are now part of my life. I should have used them sooner.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I won't hunt without them. They will literally save your ass over and over again.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

BD Trail or BD Alpine Carbon.

If you NEED an ice axe...bring one. If you're going to need crampons...bring them! Know how to use both!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If I pack a ski/trekking pole it's usually a single BD Whippet. Similar to the cork handled number Brad posted, but an actual metal axe type head. The "pick" on it helps grab in all kinds of situations, especially helpful when chasing hounds through frozen rock piles. While no substitute for a real ice axe, it's pretty handy. I absolutely never use the straps due to past injuries and close calls. Doesn't matter if I'm skiing, hunting, or climbing. I don't cut the wrist straps off but I do not use them. This most likely comes from my skiing and climbing roots. I grip it like a cane when walking or climbing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don’t understand how a skiing background lends one to not use the straps. In my youth, I nordic skied recrecreationally and alpine skied competitively, pole straps were integral to both.

That said, I’ve never skied with BD Whippets mounted atop my pole grips or using ice axes as ski pole substitutes! Grin.

Those Whippets look menacing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t understand how a skiing background lends one to not use the straps. In my youth, I nordic skied recrecreationally and alpine skied competitively, pole straps were integral to both.

That said, I’ve never skied with BD Whippets mounted atop my pole grips or using ice axes as ski pole substitutes! Grin.

Those Whippets look menacing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Heck I want that just to grab crap out of the back of the pickup.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Should you be caught in an avalanche, the poles usually will stay on the surface if NOT attached to you to indicate the line that you are likely to be found. One may find it easier to use swim-like arm motions in an attempt to stay on the surface of the snow if unencumbered by the poles.

You also may avoid a dislocated shoulder if the poles become snagged in brushy areas should you happen to slip and fall if they are not attached to your wrists.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
^ mostly the ripping your shoulder out of socket/joint damage part for me. Same seems to be true when hiking in bad terrain. When/if I want rid of a ski pole/trekking pole I want rid of it, not tied to it. Do whatever works for you. I guess it was just a word of caution. And they are awesome for grabbing stuff out of the truck bed as mentioned above...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 007FJ, 19 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.