-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This is not a slam on MD. Just pissed off.
Monday of last week I emailed Dyna-Tek asking for information on what went wrong and steps for removal. Also asked why the support page on the package was no longer there. Nada haven’t heard squat.
Went to Midway USA on the same day asking if they could help, and at the same time wrote a review. Nada.
Went to midway today to see if the review was posted. Nope. Even my like or dislike of the reviews posted were scrubbed. Clicked the like dislike on reviews again then reloaded the page. Scrubbed. Contacted Midway, and was told they couldn’t verify purchase. Took a screenshot of their web page that says I did. 3-15-18. Nope they couldn’t verify.😂
Have found on a deep search where people had problems since 2015 on BR Central and others.
The instructions now sent are very lacking. Some say they followed JB’s instructions of coat, wait 4 to 8 hours then recoat again. Wow that wasn’t on the product. Neither was the JB bore paste and quite a few needed instructions.
Mainly what really has me pissed is that the company and Midway USA seem to disavow this product. No negative reviews are allowed. Censorship and deniable plausibility is in full force.
Be Wary.

Last edited by Swifty52; 12/07/18.

Swifty
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
MD, you once said you would like to know what went wrong. Me too, but I am going to give my opinion, maybe long and convoluted but here it is.
Experience tells me that when you list a product as discontinued on most major sites then the product has become questionable and subject to cuts.
This is my top choice.
The maker Dyna-Tek discontinued the production due to problems. Brownells and others drop the product and fail to pick it up on reproduction due to said problems, or if it ever resumed production. Ole Potterfield buys up the remaining stock at a huge discount since it’s coming up on experation, and he repackages or whatever. (Been there done that many times) Cut costs leave out needless piece of paper.
Basically he’s dumping the remaining stock, outdated or imperfect he doesn’t care. Hence the non editable comments and non repliance from the company. Once gone,bet it’s never seen again.
Worked in the industry, been apart of it. Drop the product, support and after that you buy it So Sorry. Dollar General is huge.
Just my opinion

Swifty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Swifty, could you please email me at pbarth06cableone.net?

Perry
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think you’re confused.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Swifty,

Thanks for the opinion.

But I wonder how DBC could work so long and well, then suddenly "go bad." As I pointed out in earlier posts, I started experimenting with it around a dozen years ago.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
FWIW the company - email addy on the package - hasn't responded to my email either. Sent it a couple of weeks ago. Don't know if anybody's there or what.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence
FWIW the company - email addy on the package - hasn't responded to my email either. Sent it a couple of weeks ago. Don't know if anybody's there or what.

I called this morning, Dana Brown in customer service, same woman I spoke to a year ago. She didn't answer, and her voicemail says "welcome to Dyna Tek home of Dyna Tek Bore coat, same message as a year ago. I left a detailed message asking about the additional instructions for putting the product on, and why it's not even shown on their web page anymore, did they discontinue it? No return call so far, I'll post if I get a response from her.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What I have learned is that DBC has not affected accuracy one way or the other in the 6 rifles I have done.Cleaning is another story.These rifle`s clean so easily,it is ridiculous.JMHO,Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Huntz
What I have learned is that DBC has not affected accuracy one way or the other in the 6 rifles I have done.Cleaning is another story.These rifle`s clean so easily,it is ridiculous.JMHO,Huntz

+100

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Godogs57

+100

+101

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

...... and you followed the directions right off the pkg?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SuperCub

JB had a thread at one time on how to apply.Those are the instructions I used.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The instructions on the package work fine. The rub is that on the package it says to clean down to bare steel. That’s the part that most people get wrong. Even when they think they got it right.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by GSSP
Originally Posted by Godogs57

+100

+101

Same here.

I am concerned about what Swifty has experienced, for sure can't explain it.

I've heard of DBC drying up. I have 3 bottles in my refrig. and they seem to be lasting well.

If the bore is clean, as in really clean and DBC applied as directed, it seems to work very well.

I've used it for several years and am a believer.

If Swifty ever figures out exactly what went wrong, I would love to hear about it.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub

JB had a thread at one time on how to apply.Those are the instructions I used.

Trying to find that ..........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My experience is no more then my experience with a few rifles. I tried to follow directions very closely and read what others said. After a clean to bare metal I bore coated a new Tikka T3X Superlite in 6.5 Creed and fired 10 rounds through it and cleaned it and it took about 20 patches to get squeaky clean. I then fired about 30 rounds of Hornady 140 grain Hornady ELDY Match and 50 rounds of 127 gain Barnes LRX factory loads. They hit close to same place at 100 yards, which was lucky for me. I like the rifle so much I will get a Tikka in .223.

I used some Accelerator on a patch and then after 6 patches with Wipe Out Patch Out the patches looked clean. I then ran a couple of dry patches through the barrel and ran a patch with Corrosion X on it through the bore and put the rifle in the safe.

I also cleaned my Win. Mod. 70 "Stainless Classic" down to bare steel. The wonderful factory barrel that shoots many Barnes X bullets well was then Bore Coated per instructions. I fired 10 rounds through it and after about 20 patches they were clean. I then fired 20 of my hand loaded 225 grain Barnes TTSX bullets through it. It took about 10 patches to get a white patch and I was being picky.

I have a few other center fire rifles, rim fires, hand guns and shot guns treated with Bore Coat and need to shoot them and finish the process. If I had it to do over I would of treated and shot them the next day for consistency with time frames. I will see how they clean up, so far my little sample is very satisfactory. I plan on bore coating my pellet gun.

The problem is living in Alaska and getting stuff up here is some times a pain. Fortunately my son-in-law is a fish guide up here in the summer and brings stuff up for me when he drives up. He will be bringing me up 6 more one ounce containers of Bore Coat for me, which should do all I will need for the rest of my shooting life.

I called Bore Coat and asked for help with the shipping, they said they could work some thing out and call me with a solution. This was close to a year ago, have not heard from them yet.

I tried to get Midway to ship me a scope yesterday and they refused because it has a battery. I begged them to throw it away, recycle it, give it to some one, etc and they said no. I can ship it to my daughter who can use the battery and send me the scope.

I wonder if Bore Coat would be a good rust preventer if I wiped down the metal on my weapons with it and applied a heat gun to it afterwards. Corrosion X works ok, but always looking for the best in weapons maintenance..

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Same here. I’ve got just about all of mine coated and will start with the handguns as winter goes on. Great stuff. I’m finding I can do about 6-8 rifles with one bottle if I’m careful.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter

I wonder if Bore Coat would be a good rust preventer if I wiped down the metal on my weapons with it and applied a heat gun to it afterwards. Corrosion X works ok, but always looking for the best in weapons maintenance..

That is what Gun Shield is for.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/691838/dyna-tek-gun-care-kit

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

604 members (12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 160user, 47 invisible), 2,020 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,237
Posts18,447,813
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.