Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#13355025 12/12/18
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
I just finished reading JB's article in Gun's regarding "Bore Sighters", and I have a question for the masses in general, and JB in particular.

I am comfortable with the ones with an arbor that fits in the barrel, but I have never figured out how to get the magnetic ones centered and precisely vertical. I level the rifle front to back and side to side in the rest, but then just eyeball mounting the collimator. I am not satisfied with that arrangement.

How do you guys set them up, get the correct height above the bore, centered, and vertical?

Regards,

GW

BP-B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
It's not supposed to matter that much. They work by mounting perpendicular to the muzzle; it's the angle (should be exactly 90 degrees) that's important.

Try this, if your barrel is short enough to reach - mount the collimator as intended, and look through the scope as you move the collimator around a bit. You'll be able to see when it's tilted, but up/down and side to side movements shouldn't have very much change in what you see through the scope.

With that said, I've gone to just bore sighting (visibly looking down the barrel) when possible because I get better results. I did have a Leupold collimator that worked well until somebody dropped it; despite no visible damage it never worked well after that. I suspect the magnet got knocked loose in the base and no longer holds true.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a old Redfield, gets me on paper at a hundred. Usually 6” low and 3” to the right. I’ve used it for 40 years.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
With a magnetic muzzle collimator, I place them as close to center horizontally as possible on the muzzle, but also as close to the same height above the bore as the scope.

Don't really understand what's the problem is with getting them centered horizontally. This is easily done by eyeballing.

As for "precisely vertical," I've already mounted the scope so it's as square as possible with the center of the action/barrel, so I just align the collimator's reticle with the scope's reticle.

Are you looking for some system involving spirit levels, or something else to check your placement?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
JB

Not really on the levels.

I have done similar to what you do, regarding using the scope reticle to align the vertical. I just didn't know if there was some trick I was missing on setting up the collimator correctly.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Not really. The biggie is approximating the same height above the bore as the scope. But as pointed out in the article, any collimator is an approximation, since so many other factors go into exact point of impact other than perfect collimator alignment.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a gun writer but what I have always done is pull the bolt so I can look down the barrel and center it on the bull, then move the cross hairs to center on the bull. This works with any rifle that you can remove the bolt. It always get me on paper at 100 yards

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
Thanks for the input everyone, looks like I am just over thinking the whole process.

GW

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
nimrodtracy,

The article was about using a collimator to mount scopes so they're reasonably aligned with the bore,which pre-solves a bunch of problems.

It was about not simply getting sighted-in--which is what most shooters assume is their primary purpose. As you just did.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a magnetic collimator and I think it was well worth it!

I had one end of the barrel that wasn't exactly square (90 degree from bore). It was off by at least 1 degree (a little more than 60" at 100 yards.)

But that was very odd, I thought.

In general (all but that one rifle) it has worked very well. Now, the first thing I do when I mount a scope is check it out with the collimator.

Thanks to MD for another great recommendation.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 54 invisible), 3,137 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,741
Posts18,401,179
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.