Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A few days ago I loaded some 45-70 cartridges with 300 gr. Sierra bullets. The case is slightly bulged out for about 180 degrees around the case where the bullet is. I don't have any concentricity measuring tools, but I've got to believe these have a slight problem. I also see this crop up in 444 Marlin and 375 Winchester. Maybe the problem is case wall uniformity, or the seating stem, or something else.

What strategies to you have for keeping straight wall ammunition concentric?

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Possibly too much or too little belling on the case when expanding. Or, maybe the bullet was not lined up properly when entering the seating die. You can try playing with the belling and see if that helps. Reducing the belling might be the ticket. I have seen the issue before in straight cartridges, so I'm familiar with what you are referring to. Not sure if accuracy is greatly affected or not.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Perhaps you need to use an M die?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The case is probably good until at least belling, or maybe till seating. The cartridges are for a Marlin 1895 with a receiver sight, so between the recoil and the sights I won't be able to detect small changes in accuracy with any fix.

Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Could it be the cases being a bit too long, causing the crimp to be applied a bit early, prior to fully seating the bullet? The opposite could also be true....case being too short and not getting enough expansion on the mouth causing the bullet to hang up when seating. These issues might be more difficult to notice in a progressive press, vice a single stage. Suffice it to say you can't mix LeverRevolution cases with standard cases because the LR cases are shorter in, I believe, all calibers. Are you crimping into a grove? Been awhile since I've loaded anything straight walled. I know I've always been very cautious to ensure the case was fully inserted into the shell holder and the bullet started as straight as possible before heading up into the die. I also tend to partially seat, then rotate the case 180 degrees, then seat the rest. Or partially seat, then back it out to look at it, then seat all the way and crimp. Short, fat bullets don't provide as much opportunity for centering in the case during the seating process. I would also double check to see if the die is still secure in the press and the seating stem secured in the die.

Perry
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bump the bullet against the bullet seater, just a bump, rotate 120° or so, do it again, then a third time. That seems to center the bullet for a uniform bulge around the case, and it also seems to have no effect on accuracy.....

Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I seat and crimp in separate operations. Next time I load them I'll try rotating during seating. I'll shoot some of the current ones today to see how they do. New bullet and new powder for me.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I bump the bullet against the bullet seater, just a bump, rotate 120° or so, do it again, then a third time. That seems to center the bullet for a uniform bulge around the case, and it also seems to have no effect on accuracy.....

Good info Vic , I loaded 10 444M had the same problem as Youper . First experience with straightwall cases .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

74 members (160user, 41rem, bcraig, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,030 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,490
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.