Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by TwoEyedJack
One time I did the math and figured out that school teachers abuse about twenty kids for every one abused in BSA. That's an excellent argument to home school your kids.

Home schooling is by far a better choice than public school, regardless.

Totally agree, if I were raising little ones right now that's the only way I'd go.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
America is dying.

This.

We are LETTING it die.

Anything that happens is because we have let it happen.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I am glad I'm old. But I really feel for you young guys. People better wake the F U C K up.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TwoEyedJack
One time I did the math and figured out that school teachers abuse about twenty kids for every one abused in BSA. That's an excellent argument to home school your kids.

You say 'one time'. From what I hear, things have changed a bunch in the last few years. The 'one time' likely doesn't fit any more.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My older brother Ken and I joined the Boy Scouts in Atlanta in 1959. I was 9 years old.
We were suburban kids. My dad wasn't interested in camping or shooting. But in Boy Scouts we went camping all the time! I loved it, it is really good for a sheltered suburban kid to spend the night out in the woods in 25 degree weather in a sleeping bag. No dial on the wall to magically make it 70 degrees. And on campouts, and at Summer Camp, we did a lot of shooting! Mostly .22 rifles, I loved it! Our Scoutmasters were real men, all had fought in WW2 and knew a lot about guns. You could tell that our Scoutmasters were a bunch of bad asses not like the few, Sissy male teachers we had in school. These were tough men.

And to have to cook your food over a camp fire. I just loved scouting.
In Explorers it was even better, we went to explore a cave in north Georgia. About 10 of us plus the Advisor. No signs, no state park, we parked on the side of a dirt road, we hiked 300 feet up a damn mountain, and there was this hole in the mountain. Hole about 6 feet high and 3 feet wide.
Our advisor had a 3/4 inch rope, he tied it to the pine tree, with a bowline knot which, I had learned to tie in scouting, "the rabbit comes out of the hole, goes around the tree, and back in the hole." I learned that knot in 1960 and still know it well. The Advisor had about 70 feet of rope coiled up in his hand, he threw it into the hole, and said to me "You first." I grabbed on to that rope and down I went! No harness, ho helmet or light. It was 50 feet down to the bottom of the cave, hand over hand. Completely dark.
I had an awakening about 10 feet down that rope. I was completely on my own. If I screwed up, no good to call the teacher, or the police, or my Mommy. If I let go, I would die. So, I didn't let go. That was the first time in my life where I was beyond the grasp, of all the social norms that protect little boys. I was on my own.

We had some flashlights and explored that cave for a few hours, stalagtities, stalagmites, it was great! And then, back to the rope, and to climb hand over hand to the hole back to the World. Damn that was some exciting stuff for a 14 year old kid.

Also we went every summer to Camp Bert Adams near Atlanta. One year I got the Mile Swim merit badge, we trained for 4 days in the swimming pool, and then, it was a half mile across the lake, without touching shore, and a half mile back. Two Scouts in the water and one older Scout in a canoe. About 15 groups like that. I was 12 years old, it was like Navy SEAL training for a little suburban kid.
I loved it! Experiences like that really toughen up a sheltered suburban kid.

Good Lord it makes me sick to see Liberal orthodoxy ruin the Scouts. I can't believe it. Letting gay boys be Scoutmasters? That is insane.

Why don't we let some healthy, 25 year old young men be Scoutmasters for the Girl Scouts. I don't know if Girl Scouts go on campouts, but if they do, put a healthy 25 year old young man as Girl Scoutmaster for a campout with a bunch of 15 and 16 year old Explorer Girl Scouts. Guess what is going to happen, He is going to start [bleep] them!

And so likewise with Boy Scouts, you got a little 12 or 14 year old kid he doesn't know what is going on, a homo Scout leader, who took the job just so he could do this, is going to try to [bleep] the little boys and he probably will succeed. This is so sick.

I don't know, boys, I wonder if our country is ruined beyond repair.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1.......... It ain't the B.S.A. I was in circa 1961-65..... Our adult leaders were all fathers of one of the kids in the troop. Just about all WWII vets who loved the outdoors. They even took us on winter camp outs in the dead of winter. Like in a foot and a half of snow. That's where I got my first snowshoe experience. Summer camp was up in the Adirondacks. Got my first bear experience there. Head scoutmaster had been a little too old for WWII but he welded steel for Uncle Sam on defense work during the war. He had done a lot of hunting in the southern tier of western NY state near the PA border back in the mid 1930's till about 1940. We used to prod him for hunting stories around the campfire at night. To this day I sometimes think of him when I'm deer hunting. From what I hear nowadays about B.S.A. I can't believe what the hell it has turned into. It's a damn shame.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What good libatrash wouldn't want to destroy that organization?

Boy Scout Oath or Promise
On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

Last edited by 700LH; 12/13/18.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Bankruptcy does necessarily mean the end of scouting...... God I hope not. My son is an Eagle Scout and I am involved with my grandsons in the same troop my son Eagled from.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
one problem as I see it was the national BSA had its own level of bureaucracy. The chief scout executive was paid about 1 million a year. That was the job gates and tillerson held. What was happening is national companies like UPS, FED EX, and others were being pressured by these liberal groups to drop their funding if the BSA didn't change its stance on gays. The scouts were also specifically targeted in other areas. the libs picked the exact right places to cause a shat storm. Basically they would find a place to pick a lawsuit that was strategically placed geographically for the right courts and the right situation. They would also find people to purposely sue the scouts for discrimination again in certain areas in cherry picked circumstances. You had a 2 pronged attack pressure for the money to leave which meant this was a threat to the national BSA and all their executives salaries AND the whole discrimination aspect. What should have happened is the scouts decentralize, meaning pretty much absolve and let the local troops and sponsors run the program and all but disband and volunteerize the national level.

the LDS church was at least 25% of their members and I would wager way more of a share of their money. Also the LDS church IMO was the most serious sponsor of the scouts overall. Yes the methodists and others have a big membership but I don't feel their congregations pushed scouting like the LDS church has. Basically as I predicted once the LDS church left the scouts would fold. However I didn't predict it would be this quickly. The LDS church also agreed to pay the scouts for 2 full years of membership. they are leaving at the end of 2019 and agreed to pay for all their troops through 2019.

a really really sad day. evil is so coordinated its scary.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The old Boy Scouts represented everything that the statists hated.

I have three boys in this age bracket now and have decided to steer them away from the Scouts, mostly because of what was forced upon them.

The current macro policy is to deter people who should go into the organization, and attract the worse people for it. Not everywhere of course. But many places are declining badly.

No thanks.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The best thing I got from the Scouts, the motto

"Be Prepared"

I got a log cabin in the NC wilderness with two propane heaters than don't use electricity. Got a full propane tank. Got a beautiful Norwegian wood stove and two year's supply of fire wood.
Got a one year supply of food in the basement. Got lots of guns. Got a 4WD Nissan pickup with studded snow tires.
Got a spring I can get water from if the electric goes out. Got five kerosene lamps, and lots of lamp oil. Lots of cigarette lighters.

I took that Boy Scout stuff seriously. Thank you, Boy Scouts!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh, Canteen Boy.......

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Between Christians and the Mormons, BSA membership is plummeting.
I thought the Mormons name was Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Day Saints .. Sounds like they consider themselves Christain? Like many others they consider their way to be The Way. But yes, their leaving is a blow to BSA and well deserved.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was a scout in the 1960s, My father and another WW2 combat veteran were our adult leaders. This was North Utah where it is cold. Our marine veteran leader believed in survival campouts in deep snow and long hikes in snow. We mountain climbed and floated across lakes on logs. Stayed up at Tony's Grove in Logan Canyon for 2 weeks at a time in the summer. Didn't get molested by scout leaders or drunk or anything bad. Just maybe bad sunburn for the light complected . Cooked on fires, slept in tents, and crapped in the woods. Aint happening today, with girly boys, peanut allergies, poison ivy, sharp knives and hatchets. Certainly won't have any .22 rifles along.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fahq'em. They've destroyed themselves by trying to be inclusive to girls (who already have their own organization), homos and other deviants.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Destroying everything great about American was and is the plan of the left. Looks like they succeeded with the BSA. Their leaders let it happen. They did not have to let girls in. They did not have to include homo's. But they did.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Scouting was good when I was in it . Sad that it has been corrupted and destroyed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This has been a long time coming; all the accommodation to the liberal left have been desperation moves by the professionals to keep the corporate money coming in. The BSA has always been two organizations at once - the traditional outdoor, leadership skills, and Americanism part for boys has been provided and taught by the volunteers, while the professionals focus on fundraising. Fundraising is important to fund camps and facilities, but much of it was focused on salaries and benefits for the professionals - to a great extent their job is to use the BSA name to raise money to pay themselves each year. The left simply took advantage of the need for lots of money and corrupted the corruptible.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am saddened to see the current state of affairs within the Boy Scouts of America. I earned the rank of Eagle Scout in 1970. My time in Scouting was educational and enjoyable.

μολὼν λαβέ
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What a shame. A nation divided. Exactly what the Deep State wants.

[Linked Image]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yes, and doncha think it's about time we fold, bend, spindle and mutilate the Lib Deep State of this country?

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 53 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.