Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
The ones used near here long ago was longer that that, probably 5ft or so. miles

The ones we used were about 5' long and we called them a 'punch'. Never heard one called a 'sand point'.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We may be talking about different things?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sand points are used where there is no rock.
You simply drive them into the ground, adding pipe as needed.

Here that means going down about 15-20 feet.

https://www.hunker.com/12002722/how-to-install-a-sand-point-well
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Snyper; 12/08/18.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A friend got tired of dealing with the sulphur in his drilled well water.

He lives in bottom land, and knew the water table wasn't very deep.
So, he dug a deep hole with his backhoe. It filled up with water.
He then filled the hole with crushed limestone and a slotted pipe.
Added a pipe, and was in business. And, no sulphur.

Stuvwxzy,

I can see what you are thinking

And,

I share your concerns, it may be under the "surface",
But he is probably drinking surface water

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A few years ago I was thinking about moving to WY around Cody/Greybull. I was surprised at the number of houses we looked at that the only source of water was a spring.Would not that be considered surface water? If it were tested and found safe I suppose it would be OK

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Springs are not surface water.

The problem is how one contains the spring and keeps surface water out.

Many of the old farm houses here use springs or dug wells.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
These shallow wells are intriguing to say the least. My family has been in the well drilling business for 60 years now and have drilled thousands of wells over the decades. There are some concerns with these home spun wells. As stated earlier if you are west of the Mississippi, all water is under the "priority system". In other words , first in use, first in right. ALL water in most western states is owned by somebody. Most state shuts down these type wells as they are stealing someone else's property. Legality's aside, the states real concern is these wells do not meet the states stringent construction standards. Properly and legally constructed well have a hole drilled 4" larger than the casing to be installed. This larger diameter hole must be at least 40' deep and the annulus is then pressure grouted between the casing and bore hole. No perforated pipe allowed above 40' in most wells. Top water is considered contaminated from animal as well as natural bacteria from plants. By allowing perforated pipe above 40', the surface water can now enter the lower water table and bring with it, its contamination. Without grout every time a dog see's a well they think it is a fire hydrant. Every time he pee's it goes directly to the water table and now your home spun well is contaminating yours and other wells. Somethings to think about.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just watched The Last Alaskan. In the latest episode, the Seldens install a sand point aka driven well. Within hours they have a fully functional well using a factory sand point and a hammer. I cant understand why they installed it in the middle of the floor instead of next to the kitchen sink. A great concern if the fact I would assume their outhouse is close to the house. State standards in most areas require the closest source of contamination be at least 100' away from a water source. Since they are drinking water at a depth of 4' from the surface, outhouse contamination is very very likely. I HAD an aunt that died of Typhus contracted from a shallow hand dug well. She is buried in Limestone county, Texas in a shared grave with another child that had also died from Typhus from the same well.

Last edited by stuvwxyz; 12/12/18. Reason: addition
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a close family friend that was in the hole punching business since the '50s.
He had upward of twenty rigs (old school, with class. He wouldn't tell.) Drilling water wells
and holes for the coal mines in Pa, Md and WV Interesting to talk to, wish I had worked for
him as a kid. I know there was a lot of difference between the way he did things, and the
Hillbilly engineering that happens in the woods. Many worship water from springs, he was
afraid of it. Said a spring is either contaminated, or probably will be.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As stated earlier if you are west of the Mississippi, all water is under the "priority system". In other words , first in use, first in right.

Last time that I looked, Arkansas is West of the Mississippi river and most of what you said about Western Water Rights is wrong, for Arkansas. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
MILES you are kind of correct. My statement that all water west of the Mississippi is owned was not correct. It should have been "most". In Colorado it is all appropriated. I just attended a 12 hour seminar on water rights. Arkansas is starting to face the same problems that drier western states have been facing for years. I see there are some serious concerns in your state about lack of water especially the eastern part.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see there are some serious concerns in your state about lack of water especially the eastern part.

Yes there are. Mostly from irrigation using ground water instead of surface water. Pump out of the ground and let it go into the rivers. Wasted. There is a move to use the rivers and rain water for irrigation, but progress is slow. Mostly brought about by high pumping costs instead of efficiency. We have plenty of water but getting the farmers here to work together is hard to do, unless it is applying for Government money. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
G
G
I live in SE AK. We have a high water table. Wells are all surface water. The sand goes down 18-30 feet, then it turns to glacier flour that will never totally clear up. It can be pumped clear, as soon as pumping stops it’s again cloudy. Bedrock at 120-150’ and the water there is salt. Alaska has no well regulation for private residence, commercial and public water sources are supposed to be tested and treated. The on-site septic installer is required keep tanks and drainfields 100’ private and 200’ public from the well. We use sand points or cased submersibles. If you have rocks the sand point probably won’t be drivable. Most auger rigs won’t work either. I’d find a local driller and ask, if possible.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
323 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.