Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
This is a stupid post from the start I pee from my stand every time I hunt I kill boat loads of deer big buck included and actually if I have a scrape working I pee in it also
People like to make things hard and over think things

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

It was his time of the month.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If the smell of human urine was so scary to deer, by season's end they'd all be running around the woods in a constant state of panic, from one puddle to the next. Unless they've been educated enough to connect human urine to humans, I doubt they smell anything but pee.

Old, smart deer MAY be a different story altogether, and avoid anything strange, whether they know what it is or not. During bow season, I used a jug. Now, I just let 'er rip.

The old bucks are normally frightened badly by the smell of humans in the woods and will lay up in a thicket where no human scent is deposited except that which filters through on air currents.

Ive seen many good bucks leave their hiding spot, often very near a hunting camp, and make their scrape run between 10 and 2 when the men are back at camp for lunch.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If the smell of human urine was so scary to deer, by season's end they'd all be running around the woods in a constant state of panic, from one puddle to the next. Unless they've been educated enough to connect human urine to humans, I doubt they smell anything but pee.

Old, smart deer MAY be a different story altogether, and avoid anything strange, whether they know what it is or not. During bow season, I used a jug. Now, I just let 'er rip.

The old bucks are normally frightened badly by the smell of humans in the woods and will lay up in a thicket where no human scent is deposited except that which filters through on air currents.

Ive seen many good bucks leave their hiding spot, often very near a hunting camp, and make their scrape run between 10 and 2 when the men are back at camp for lunch.

I believe you are correct, sir. About 5 years ago, Bob and I were stand hunting my property during the morning, broke for lunch and returned to find a very new, LARGE scrape not 25yards dead in front of Bob's ladder stand. It was so wide, that I laid my shotgun down for comparison, and the parallel tine Marks were almost as wide as my mossberg shotgun was long. I took pics, but lost them when my phone was replaced. It was impressive.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Jag, i might dispute your choice of words:

The old bucks are normally frightened badly by the smell of humans in the woods.

I don't think frightened badly is the exact right phrase. I.E. More cautious disgust than fright

More likely they think along these lines, " Oh, crap here come those azzholes again to fug up my day. I'm just gonna hole up and let them stumble past. They stink!"

smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think big bucks just move in the middle of the day no matter what. They are men. They like to stay up late prowling around and chasing tail, sleep late, wake up in the middle of the day to eat a little and watch a little TV, go back to sleep for a few hours, and then prowl around some more after dark.

If hunt bucks like you would if you were tasked with getting a tag on a twenty year or college fraternity kid, you’ll have more success.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by DanBrothers
Here is another true story that seems unbelievable... but it's NOT... it's true in every way.

A couple of weeks ago I got in on a 2 1/2 day, public land, draw hunt. Having never been there before, I went to a power line that their local Game Manager directed me too. The first evening i spotted bucks and does crossing way way way down that line. I skipped that next morning's hunt, but was back there that next evening... but i setup 500 yds more down that line. There ended up being a guy in a ground blind with back problems only 225 yds away, so I decided to hold off shooting anything unless it was a Big Daddy. I had medium size buck cross at 170 yds, and a couple of does at 70 yds, which were all chip shots for my 7mm mag. that I use for long range clear cut cutover, or powerline shots. I held off, and neither he nor myself shot that evening. The next morning, he was gone and I set up again in the same shot. At about 10 AM... I had to pee... so off to one side I let her go, because I wasn't going to climb down, and since I had decided to get down anyways at 12 noon. At 12 noon, I started gathering my stuff together to start my climb down, when low and behold, 2 mins later there steps out a big doe at 170 yds. I got my shooting sticks back up and together while bleating loudly at her to make her stop, which she did, and after the shot, she was DRT from the 162 SST. After dragging and gutting her out, and placing her in the cooler they had. I found myself back in a tree again, but 140 yds further down the line, near where I shot that doe. Later on, about 45 mins before dark, I see a spike buck smelling around my morning tree spot that I was in. I paid it no attention while watching the opposite direction. 10 mins later I look back at the spike and now see a deer with a rack standing in the same spot the spike was, and smelling the ground all around as well... just 1-2 steps from my old tree. After quickly getting the crosshairs on it's shoulder area, he turned slightly towards me, and the bullet hit him in front of the shoulder and angled backwards, but he only ran 15 yds. On the hour long ride home I pondered why they did not spook at my scent around that tree... then it dawned on me... my pee from early that morning drew them there, probably out of curiosity. They both had stood in the pee spot.... go figure.

A couple of evenings later, I'm in another treestand location 100 miles away, watching over a clear cut area. At 4:00 pm I started blowing through the bottom of my doe bleat can call, instead of the normal turning it over process... because it's louder by blowing through it. NOTE... I've killed A LOT of deer while using the can call... everyone needs one. Every 20 mins or so I would give it 3-5 bleats. At 5 PM I had to take a leak again, so with me thinking that I'm done in 40 mins anyways, I let her go off treestand's left side... and I can called again. 15 mins later i hear something running in behind me from my left side... I look down... Low and Behold here comes this medium size 8 pointer trotting in and then stops under my stand, within 1-2 step on my pee spot. I'm left handed, but brought Mr Tikka around right handed, and allowed the Nikon recticle to settle between his shoulders for the DRT shot. On the way home I'm thinking about how odd that was that he didn't spook from my scent of walking in, but seemed to be smelling the ground upon the shot.... then it dawned on me again... the pee... WOW. That's two bucks in three evenings that I shot within one step of my pee spot. That has to be more than just a freak of nature.
Now.... I'm NOT selling Dan Brothers Urine here...LOL... but I wonder if anyone out there has had similar things happen.

Sorry for the LONG STORY... I get it from my Mother....LOL.

I'd like to order two bottles for next season

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 12/15/18.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I pissed out of my tree stand while elk hunting near a small pond. I’d forgotten my pee jug...
An hour or so before dark a very handsome 5 pt bull walked out behind my stand and then took the trail up past my tree.
At one point he was directly below me, maybe eight feet away and never gave any indication he was detecting any kind of human scent.
When he stepped out to about 15 yards and gave me a broadside opportunity, I drove a four blade Muzzy through his chest.
Now days I only bother with a pee bottle in a ground blind....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For one size fits all a mayonnaise jar is hard to beat.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
This is a stupid post from the start I pee from my stand every time I hunt

Yep. Same here.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by las
Jag, i might dispute your choice of words:

The old bucks are normally frightened badly by the smell of humans in the woods.

I don't think frightened badly is the exact right phrase. I.E. More cautious disgust than fright

More likely they think along these lines, " Oh, crap here come those azzholes again to fug up my day. I'm just gonna hole up and let them stumble past. They stink!"

smile

Probably correct.

I once ambled down a canyon in the Co high country in elk season with my bow. Found a hump in a spot off to the side of the main trail with a white salt block for the ranchers cattle. I saw elk tracks headed over to it. I screwed up and passed it by that AM.

That pm i returned but again made a mistake and paced off the distance from it to my spot where i sat on a fallen log and leaned back against an aspen in the buckbrush that ringed the opening.

2 hours later a string of about 16 elk came down from opposite me from a little side draw just below the salt. They curled up the canyon 20 yards approaching the block from downwind. When the lead cow hit the path i had taken she and the following herd bolted with eyes as big as saucers. One came my way with the fear of God plastered over her face as i tried to draw on her and as quickly gave up as i dove to the right to keep from being plowed over by a crazed cow elk at 40 mph.

Beep beep.

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It can be awkward trying to pee out of a ground blind. It can be done though.
-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Every time I set a camera up on a scrape I piss in it and freshen up the dirt. I've gotten tons of pics of deer in all sizes, some within an hr of my visit.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 260madman, 40 invisible), 2,801 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.