-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those old Hondas were some of the best (though ride has always challenged Honda).

I have a 98 300 2WD TRX which still runs after at least 30,000 miles and hauling some rack-straining loads in excess of 500 pounds.

Don't work it wrong, keep the RPMs up (so clutches aren't slipping/chattering) and these old machines will 'haul some serious mail'.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Hauling out Deer or Coyotes or driving down to check out a target at 100yds is the majority of what mine gets used for. We are both getting older. LOL
In the past it has pulled trucks out of creeks, cars out of snow drifts, and a hay wagon or 2.
I would like to add another Honda 4X4 to the stable, but I just don't know which or what year to buy. Nothing new, my budget won't handle it. Any suggestions?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
nice old four wheelers, we had a buddy in the 80s had a foreman like that and he welded thick sheet metal on all the racks, it was a tank and he'd push over anything he felt like within reason! I thought it was cool as heck growing up.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a 2001 Honda Rancher 350. Bullet proof is a good description. I pull a tiller and drag logs with mine. Its not a tractor but it never fails to give all its got.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
I have a 2001 Honda Rancher 350. Bullet proof is a good description. I pull a tiller and drag logs with mine. Its not a tractor but it never fails to give all its got.

That's one I've been tossing around to buy. Sounds like yours has been a good one. Automatic?

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yes mine is the ES which means electronic shift. Only issue I have ever had with it was, when shifting it sometimes didn't want to go into reverse. Also it didn't want to shift right when the lights were on. Easy fix. The battery had a bad cell. New battery fixed it up like new.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
With the electronic shift do you have an option to manually shift it? Probably a dumb question, but I would like to know.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by K22
With the electronic shift do you have an option to manually shift it? Probably a dumb question, but I would like to know.

Not on mine. Maybe on one a little newer.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Thanks BlueDuck. That helps.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by K22

If the push button shifter goes out there is a little lever you can put on to limp home.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BlueDuck

I have a 2001 Honda Foreman 450 and I agree wholeheartedly with the "bullet-proof" label.
Originally Posted by K22

There is a shaft with a hex head coming out of the transmission by your left foot. Should be a wrench to fit it in your storage cubby hole. That way you can still shift if your electric shift goes out.

Are those Bear Claw tires?

I put some Bear Claws on my quad about 5 years ago and couldn't be happier with them. Aggressive tread with long wear life, good ride, and priced reasonably.

[Linked Image]

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
That is a nice looking Foreman. I like the looks of the 2001's.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
Originally Posted by K22

If the push button shifter goes out there is a little lever you can put on to limp home.

Yep there is. And "limp" is about what you'll do but at least you'll get there.

I also have a 2001 Foreman 450. Mine is the S model so it's manual shift, full time 4x4. Built like a tank. My son uses it now mostly for ice fishing and when we are scouting.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got an '88 & a '91 Honda TRX, both 400's.

Both are manual shift, full time 4wd.

I go places, other bigger bikes get stuck !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No issues with mine other than a leaky carb which it is in getting fixed or replaced. Runs fantastic. Just put new tires and wheels on it, serviced all fluids, changed out winch cable to synthetic line. Add the chain saw mount to the rear. Swapped out the factory springs to the high lifter ones which made a huge difference with the weight handling.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by harv3589; 01/20/19.

Rob
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Mine is running great, except the tires have had it. Can't believe these are the original tires from 1986.

I see where a couple of tire companies are making a 24x10x11 to use on the rear.
How many have done that, upsized their rear tires?
Looking at mine, there doesn't seem to be any clearance issues.

I also took care of the durability/ breakage if I used it like a tractor thing.
There's a brand new New Holland Workmaster 25 w/ 200LC loader sitting in the garage.
0% financing is a wonderful thing in the right situation.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 01/22/19.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If it's a 4x4, you'll need bigger fronts if you go with bigger rears or the transfer case gearing will be screwed up. The fronts don't have to be as wide but they do need to be the same diameter.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
ITP Mudlites in 24x10x11 and 24x9x11. Unless they don't account for inflated diameter or somesuch, I should be good.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a 1988 Honda Fourtrax 2wd 300 that I have been using for hauling wood, rocks and deer and food plotting for 30 years now. If only the new Honda’s were built like that. Switched to Yamaha for my 2008 Grizzly.

Last edited by shawlerbrook; 01/28/19.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
I'm now the owner of my Dad's old 350 Foreman.
We've purchased a piece of hunting property, and I have both minor logging and food plot work.
I don't own a farm tractor, so my needs are going to have to be done with the Foreman.
There's a number of garden tractor/atv implements I've gathered.
A Brinley single bottom mold board plow with turf cutter disc up front.
A small disc, a raker tooth cultivator and a cute little box blade complete with rakers.
The box blade rotates 180 deg.
We made up a winch/tongs skidder trailer for pulling logs from a bunch of road salt killed hardwood trees.
That area will be cleared for food plot.

Will the old 350 Foreman take a beating like that and not break hard to find parts or plain wear out?
It hasn't had any rough use since the late 80's. Since then it's just been used for deer retrieval duties mainly. Bet it isn't more than 50 miles in the last 20 years.
Even so, rubber parts get old, cracks and mud/water don't do nice things then to original C/V joints and such.

I doubt you'll have much trouble with the tillage implements but logging is some heavy work. If you're talking about pulling a wheeled trailer hauling logs you might run out of horsepower and front end weight at about the same time. My little buggy is a 1999 450 Foreman that looked about like the one K22 posted when I bought it 5 years ago. Had less than 400 miles put on it by a guy older than me hauling ostrich feed and other lightweight stuff while trying to make his fortune with African birds in South Carolina.

It's a plain old foot shifter and I wouldn't want it any other way. I really challenged it with a 6' x 12' single axel trailer and 20" sideboards filled with cut and split firewood. Pulled it thru the neighborhood a couple hundred yards back home with two short slopes. Had a devil of a time turning because the front end was just about to float. Weight wise you can pull more than you can maneuver and stop. A 350 might not be the best way to move trees.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.