Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
They're so computerized you can't do sheet to fix them yourself and all the mechanics at the dealership know to do is hook them up to a computer and start switching parts until they get it to work.
I had my Chevy truck in the shop for almost 2 weeks until they figured out a low oil pressure warning issue. Now I have Toyota Corolla (of all cars!) in the shop with an issue that the mechanic is in the process of sending the computer info. to Toyota headquarters to see if they can figure it out.
New car technology is nice and all, but dang it's a pain in the a$$!

I'm about THIIIIS close to saying to hell with it and finding me a pre-1974 gas-guzzling, carbureted, pre-emissions controls vehicle like a Chevelle or Monte Carlo - something I can work on and is simple to fix!

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
don't be a hater.
laugh

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
ATTA BOY! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They dont have mechanics anymore..... just parts changers. If changing this part dont work, we'll change that part and you're gonna pay for both of them plus our time.

Course, I dont guess it's the mechanics fault. They didn't build the cars.

Last edited by Oldman3; 12/14/18.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I be likin' my '96 Chebby way better than the '06 Chebby that I had.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This has been in the works for decades. The shade tree mechanic is about history now and the independent shops are on the hit list. They'll keep making them so complicated that before long nobody but the dealer will be able to fix anything...and sometimes not even the dealer.

Lemon laws need to be tightened. If they can't fix it in 2 weeks, you get a new one that works.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
HaHaHaHaHa!!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Reason why I hated having to take the 93 GMC Sierra off the road. It IS throttle body injected and has a few sensors but overall was much easier to work on than anything much newer.

FJB & FJT
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman3
They dont have mechanics anymore..... just parts changers. If changing this part dont work, we'll change that part and you're gonna pay for both of them plus our time.

Course, I dont guess it's the mechanics fault. They didn't build the cars.

The problem is much deeper than that.

The mechanic may know exactly what the problem is, and what it takes to fix it.

The problem is, if they want to be paid for warranty work, they have to submit all of the diagnostics to the parent companies and get their direction from them.

My 2014 Ram had serious emissions issues. The EGR valve fried several times. Emissions computer issues. Kept recurring. Truck spent the last 3 months I owned it in the shop more than out...

I told their service manager that he and I both knew that it needed a new turbo, and then replace the computer chip and EGR valve. Hr agreed, but said Dodge wouldn't authorize an expensive repair like that. They had to keep doing what they were doing until it was fixed... eek

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I started doing my own research before taking vehicles to the shop. There is usually a service bulletin, owner's forum discussion or youtube video for the exact issue. Print the documents/web address, inform the service manager and leave it in the car. This saved me several hundreds of dollars in the last couple years for repairs to my Malibu and the wife's Cruze.

Repairs might be a bit more technical but newer cars are much more reliable than anything from the carburetor era. I sure wouldn't want to go back to the days of pulling heads within 100k. Fuel savings alone make up for a lot of the cost of someone else working on my vehicles.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

I'm about THIIIIS close to saying to hell with it and finding me a pre-1974 gas-guzzling, carbureted, pre-emissions controls vehicle like a Chevelle or Monte Carlo - something I can work on and is simple to fix!

Tis why I'm still looking for a 1975 or older 4X4 pickup in the right condition for the right price for my last vehicle purchase...preferably a GMC or Chevy because of the inter changeability and availability of parts for the various incarnations of their small block.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel this last time at dealer 9 days because parts were not available. Also had to wait a week to get truck in would only take it with a appointment. It needed 4 EGT sensors, they monitor the temperature in the exhaust pipe, only could get 3. Was the 3rd time it had been in for the same parts. First time at 4000 miles second at 30000 and now at 56000. All 3 times driving 70 mph a warning comes on dash and truck slows to 50 mph, then engine shuts off no steering or brakes and will not start. If you wait 1-2 hour depending on temperature it will start back up but will happen again went exhaust pipe gets hot. It could be very dangerous on a busy expressway no power in the high speed lane. Ford says computer is programed to shut engine down to avoid a major engine failure.

Last edited by coyotewacker; 12/14/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The one that got me recently was back in March for my old Ram 1500 my son drives. The thing would not go into 4WD to for anything. My neighbor that's a mechanic worked off and on with it for two weeks, and then the Dodge dealership had it another two weeks. The neighbor was getting a message saying a wire was shorting out, but never could figure out which wire. Dodge had to call in an engineer, ended up it was the wiring harness going to the transfer case was corroded really bad. The wires were pretty much just dust. I thought I was going to have to sale a kidney to afford it, and when they told me my final bill was $731 I almost hugged the guy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're so computerized you can't do sheet to fix them yourself and all the mechanics at the dealership know to do is hook them up to a computer and start switching parts until they get it to work.

Are you OK with all the computerized technology and A&P mechanics who work on and keep America's commercial jet fleet flying safely? This is the 21st Century and all. I would not want to go back. I have a 1965 V8 289 Mustang with points and condenser I can piddle with whenever I get the urge. grin

[Linked Image]

Or my 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo V8 which I have to take to the shop for professional piddling!

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Rounding us down to little battery/solar cars and george jetson space mobiles.

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yep I miss mechanical brakes, motors using oil at about 30,000 miles, carb flooding out, mechanical windows stuck. And I hate my remote starting rigs with the heated seats and steering wheels that I can give voice commands to talk of the phone and such. Just terrible! We get on our computers constantly to complain about computers.......

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Having any trouble finding points and condensers?

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I had my Chevy truck in the shop for almost 2 weeks until they figured out a low oil pressure warning issue. Now I have Toyota Corolla (of all cars!) in the shop with an issue that the mechanic is in the process of sending the computer info. to Toyota headquarters to see if they can figure it out.
New car technology is nice and all, but dang it's a pain in the a$$!

I hear ya, and all of that is true, but your pre-1974 stuff will end up with a shorter lifespan and with way more downtime than a newer vehicle. (Of course, it will cost a heck of lot more, too.) Trucks (mine are Chevy's too) that used to be shot at 100,000 miles are just getting broke in good now. I have one that's got 246,000 + and it's given me very little trouble, just minor stuff like, most recently, the blower motor. I haven't laid a hand to it, take it all to the local independent garage, been going there for 35 years and they take care of my stuff quick. There is a lot of stuff about the old days I'd like to see back the way it was, but vehicles ain't one of them.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a new Dodge coming, hoping it be as trouble free as my 2004 Dodge.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 57 invisible), 3,121 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.