-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll buy new, if it's in the budget and if it's a Toyota, but after it's been with me for a couple of years on the farm, there's no trading it in. They one I have now has dings in every panel, the tail gate is creased from the inside, front bumper is all scratched to heck, and there's seven pounds of dog hair under the seats. If I buy it, I drive it into the ground.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by whelennut
I am thinking that this will outlast me, might as well get a new one.

That's what I was thinking. IF (i'm not) you're a guy that keeps rigs for a long time, I'd get a new one.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If going new you may want to wait a little....Your new one is going to take a bigger depreciation hit than in the recent past....

https://truckbe.com/2020-toyota-tacoma-redesign-release/

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know about Minnesota, but around here Toyota trucks really hold their value. Shopping for a lightly used Tundra in 2015/2016, I eventually decided to just get a new one. I drive my vehicles into the ground and it's worth a couple thousand to me to start new and know the maintenance history.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks!

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks!I
I. think I will buy a new one in 2020 and drive it into the ground.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't drive Toyotas, but when I was looking for a pickup last year, I first started looking for a one year old low mileage F-150. The prices they asked, if you could find one, were not much cheaper than a new one. I ended up buying a new truck, and haven't looked back.

The resale value on good clean pickups is still good, especially on the Toyotas and the Fords. Don't know about Chevy or GM because I've never owned one. On Dodges, you almost have to trade in one on another Dodge, as around here, the resale value is always lower than on anything else.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TOPCATHR
I have had 6 Tacomas over the years. I bought all of them new. The resale value is so high that you are better off buying new............

Ditto.............I'm not a pick-up owner, never have been, but have noticed Toyota depreciation is extremely hard enough to find on a dealer's used lot for 4runners and even more difficult for a tacoma pick up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The last couple months I had an itch to replace my 08 Tundra. I started looking around at relatively new used trucks, and then looked at new trucks.
Buying new thru Toyota, with their financing deals they had going on made it a no brainer. .9% financing for 5 years or 1.9% for 6 years would have made buying a used truck stupid.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’m on my seventh Toyota since 2000. Two cars, two TUNDRAS, and three vans. The vans have all had 3.5 V6 engines. THE vans were traded at about 80,000 except I’m still driving a ‘13 with 53,000.

I recently had a bit of health issues. While I was in rehab, a transport service that took me to the doctors, used TOYOTA siennas similar to mine. I asked one driver how many miles were on his older versionn. He looked at the odometer and replied, 306,???. Makes me think that I have been wasting money.

I think that is basically the same engine that is in the Sienna van . Gears may make the Tacoma turn a few more rpms. Folks that I know with newer Tacoma’s and SUVs equipped with that engine swear by them. I’m thinking of downsizing to a Highlander.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A few issues to consider. I've had three Tacomas so know a little about them.

Value wise you might as well buy new because all said and done, you can usually get a brand new Tacoma for only 2-3 k more than a 2 year old used one since they hold their value so well.

Do you want the older 4.0 or the new POS 3.5? The 3.5 has higher peak hp, but less usable power where you're normally driving at. Also many of them are coming low on transmission fluid from the factory with that sealed unit. Also, they've been having issues with them and numerous TSBs have come out for them to flash or reprogram them.

The newest Tacoma is a better truck (truck itself, not counting the drivetrain). Smoother, quieter, nice ride. The older Tacoma has the better motor and won't piss you off with its stupid shifting and lack of bottom end power.

All said, I like my 4Runner more than any of the Tacomas or Tundra I've had

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

here's some read info on the newer 3.5L vs the older 4.0L

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/3-5l-v6-vs-4-0l-v6.504174/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have the 2006 Tacoma base 4x4 Access Cab. Its been a pretty good truck for 10 years. The past year I drove 16 miles to work one way so a year is around 10k miles plus whatever I do. So all in all I do not rack up the miles. This is my second Tacoma...first one was a Tacoma truck pre Tacoma and 4 banger. This one is a 4.0 V6. I seriously thought about trading up but my truck is a little beater now and two months ago I got a new frame...so it should last for a while. I doubt they'd give me the money to justify a Tacoma that is paid off and running free lol. I have read about the 3.5L compared to the 4.0 motor and saw that the 4Runners have the 4.0 motor. Not sure why they have different motors...maybe the 4Runner is going to follow suit later on. I determined I will have more use in a truck than a 4Runner for work etc. I think its those Fawking EPA guys who regulate and require Toyota to increase MPG yet the MPG sem the same among the Tacoma and 4Runners? Obviously guys are running Tacoma up hills anyway so the 3.5 will work. I think there is a tune you can do (and pay) to get a little more power. I am did my reaesrch and seem those Tacoma owners are mightly proud of their vehicles so it is worthwhile to buy new and like me keep it for a LONG time. I looked at the new Tacomas and they have the cheap skid plate and the front bumper is like 1 FT pass the oil cooler...maybe a tad less. Regardless those 4Runner guys are bashing the Tacomas with their 3.5L...so that should give you some entertainment reading :-)

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The 4Runner has a more powerful version of the 4.0 compared to the Tacoma. They should have simply put it in the new Tacoma

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just had that question. I looked at the used Tundra 4x4 crew cabs. High $30-mid 40K for anything 1-4 years old. Saw a used 2017 Tundra loaded with 7000 miles and it was listed for $47K. They all have 3.91 gears and milage sucks. That is how toyota got them to pull like that. If you pull a big trailer daily then yes, otherwise no way.

I just bought a 2018 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 crew cab loaded with 5.3 motor and 3.42 gears for $46K. You can save more by getting one not as loaded. I got over $13K off sticker.

Used truck you pay 2x the interest rate and shorter term so high payments. I got 3.2% interest on the new one at my C/U.

Tundra gets 14-17 MPG. I get 17 in town, avg 22 on the road and have got 25.4 for 50 miles (it has a guage that tracks 50 mile intervals). Just did a 1000 mile seek long hunting trip in the NC/VA mountains deer hunting, lot of idling and up and down hills. Avg was 21.8 for the trip.

IMO no brainer buy the new., especially now that they are trying to sell the 2018s.

Last edited by BountyHunter; 12/18/18.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I have had 6 Tacomas over the years. I bought all of them new. The resale value is so high that you are better off buying new............

^^^^^This^^^^^

Yes , this! But I don't know what the track record is of the current ones with the new engines.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JMR40

I'm not sure I'd buy the newer 2016+ Tacoma though. While I've not personally driven one I hear too many bad things about the new engine. I have a 2007 that has been great.

Everyone know that you take a beating on depreciation the first few years.

Many people ASSUME that they take a beating on depreciation the 1st few years. That is true of most cars and SUV's, but trucks hold their value much better. With trucks it is often a wash long term and you can come out better buying new.

Here is the mistake I see people make. They look at $50,000 stickers on new trucks and panic. They end up buying a 3-4 year old used truck for $25,000 and tell people they saved $25,000. The problem is that the $50,000 truck will actually sell for $40,000 and the $25,000 truck they bought used sold for $30,000-$32,000 new.

I have bought new trucks, driven them 10 years and 150,000 miles and gotten 1/2 my money back. The guy who buys if from me thinks he is getting a deal paying $12,000 for a truck I paid $24,000 for 10 years earlier. The problem is that I got 1/2 my money back, and he has the same amount of money in the truck that I had in it. And he gets to pay for all of the repairs.

Well maybe. Depends on if you finance it and how. You could end up paying $30K or more for the 24K truck if financed.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

^^^^^This^^^^^

Yes , this! But I don't know what the track record is of the current ones with the new engines.

Can't say what the track record of the new ones are either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think that the Toyota places cut the same lower priced deal that the domestic new vehicle lots do. End of the model year I was seeing 22-25% off msrp and today I just saw 30% on the remaining 2018's at a Chrysler, Ram place. That is the highest percentage I've ever seen off the new vehicle msrp sticker price.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Windfall
I don't think that the Toyota places cut the same lower priced deal that the domestic new vehicle lots do. End of the model year I was seeing 22-25% off msrp and today I just saw 30% on the remaining 2018's at a Chrysler, Ram place. That is the highest percentage I've ever seen off the new vehicle msrp sticker price.

They do not have the margin the domestic mfr's have .

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (444Matt, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,182
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.