Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a pick between 2 of these one straight grip , the other pistol grip. What are the pro's and cons of a microgroove barrel? They both have that feature.

Thanks

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some people claim less than stellar performance with cast bullets in Microgroove barrels, I couldn't say. More important, IMHO, is the twist. Early guns were 1-38" which was changed to 1-20" in 1999 to better stabilize heavier bullets.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Dont be afraid of the microgroove barrels. Of far more importance is finding a JM stamped Marlin. All JM guns were made before Remington took over and ruined them. I have two 444s with microgroove barrels, and they will shoot with the best bolt guns. They will also shoot cast just fine, just size to .432

I shoot 300 grain cast bullets in both guns and get great accuracy.....like under an inch if I do my part. The 444 itself is a great caliber too, very similar ballistics to the 9.3x62. I've taken a few grizzly with mine.

Last edited by yukon254; 12/13/18.
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by yukon254
Dont be afraid of the microgroove barrels. Of far more importance is finding a JM stamped Marlin. All JM guns were made before Remington took over and ruined them. I have two 444s with microgroove barrels, and they will shoot with the best bolt guns. They will also shoot cast just fine, just size to .432

I shoot 300 grain cast bullets in both guns and get great accuracy.....like under an inch if I do my part. The 444 itself is a great caliber too, very similar ballistics to the 9.3x62. I've taken a few grizzly with mine.

They are both JM stamped guns. Thanks all for the input, one of the 444's has beautiful wood .

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

They are both JM stamped guns. Thanks all for the input, one of the 444's has beautiful wood .

That would be the one then. Or better yet just buy both?

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

That would be the one then. Or better yet just buy both?

Enabler grin

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Does the straight grip have a shorter barrel? The only straight grip 444 I've seen was the "Outfitter" model, they are highly sought after by Marlin aficionados. Both of my 444s are pistol grip standard guns, my 45/70 is the straight grip GG. My personal preference is the straight grip gun, although I like the 444 caliber better than the 45/70.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Does the straight grip have a shorter barrel? The only straight grip 444 I've seen was the "Outfitter" model, they are highly sought after by Marlin aficionados. Both of my 444s are pistol grip standard guns, my 45/70 is the straight grip GG. My personal preference is the straight grip gun, although I like the 444 caliber better than the 45/70.

The straight grip has a 22" barrel, at tleast that is what the counter guy told me when he measured it . There is a pic on their website and it looks like a 22 as well. The pistol grip one has a 22 as well or so the salesperson said , That said both gunshops are 5 miles apart so it will be interesting tomorrow morning.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Well good luck, you cant go wrong with either gun. For all around use the Hornady 265 grain bullet is very hard to beat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You may be one of the select few who can get cast bullets to shoot accurately in your 444 with MG barrel. I sure couldn’t get mine to and it was a JM rifle. My 45 70 will not shoot cast bullets either and it’s a 1972 model with MG barrel. There are those members who insist that THEIR cast bullets will shoot in your rifle. I tried several with no luck. In fact, I’ll make you a present of a pretty good assortment of cast bullets if you buy a 444.

The good news is that the 265 gr Hornady jacketed bullet seems to shoot well in all the MG barrels. It sure did in mine.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by curdog4570
You may be one of the select few who can get cast bullets to shoot accurately in your 444 with MG barrel. I sure couldn’t get mine to and it was a JM rifle. My 45 70 will not shoot cast bullets either and it’s a 1972 model with MG barrel. There are those members who insist that THEIR cast bullets will shoot in your rifle. I tried several with no luck. In fact, I’ll make you a present of a pretty good assortment of cast bullets if you buy a 444.

The good news is that the 265 gr Hornady jacketed bullet seems to shoot well in all the MG barrels. It sure did in mine.

Marshall Stanton the fellow who started Beartooth bullets has some real good articles on cast bullets in microgroove barrels. The problem is bullet sizing, not rifling. I have two 444s, and both shoot cast incredibly well, IF the bullets are sized to .432. .429 bullets wont be accurate.

My 45/70 also shoots cast extremely well, but again they must be sized correctly. In the 45/70 this means sizing to .460. .458 wont shoot well at all.

I cast and load for another four guns of friends, all have MG barrels, and all of these guns shoot MOA with cast bullets. You should actually slug your bore if your gun wont shoot cast well, then you will know for sure, but your cast bullets MUST be a thou or so larger than your bore. There are a lot more than a "select few" who get great accuracy in MG barrels with cast bullets. Go to Beartooth Bullets or Marlin Owners and see the results for yourself.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Remington put out some junky Marlins for the first few years (I owned a couple), but it seems like they've stepped the quality back up. As far as the straight stock vs pistol grip, I'd just pick which ever one felt best in your hands. I like the pistol grip stocks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by curdog4570

That's the only bullet I've ever shot in my MG 444, never saw any need to look any further.

Black Cows Matter!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree that the 265 grain bullet is a deadly bullet for this cartridge. For the hand loader, Speer makes a 270 grain bullet that also has a great reputation. Micro-groove rifling was standard for many years and is a worthwhile feature to consider.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I run cast in a few microgroove barrels. Microgroove barrels tend to be oversized, so you do need to slug the bore and if you're not confident of slugging the bore, then default to the largest size that will chamber. The normal advice is to use a cast bullet that is 2 thou over groove diameter. My 45/70 Marlin's barrel measures 0.4585" and one mould I have produces pills at 0.459". This particular bullet is very accurate in my rifle - in fact it's the most accurate bullet in my rifle, including jacketed bullets.

Aside from the oversize barrels the rifling is quite shallow, often measuring around 2 thou in depth. The best thing is to use a larger diameter bullet as mentioned, but using a harder alloy and a gas check also help. Doing this has allowed me to develop cast loads with accuracy matching or exceeding accuracy I can get using jacketed bullets.

Last edited by JFE; 01/02/19.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
1976.... 1/38..... Microgroove

[Linked Image]

270 gr Speer
[Linked Image]

240 gr Sierra
[Linked Image]

Recovered from bear, 300gr Barnes
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

my 444 Marlin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
As has been said, .432” sizing seems to shoot fine in micro groove.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,103
Posts18,464,194
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.