Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I could wear out a set of 750X16 8 ply on my Dad's 454 GMC 2 wheel drive in about 2000 miles!! Hated changing those split rim wheels though.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We bought a 2009 Toyota 4 door truck and I hated all the crap on it. Dog sits in the passenger seat and the seat belt alarm goes off. Try to four wheel and it cuts power to the tires when they start spinning. Anti-lock brakes won't let you drift around corners (not kidding). Bells, buzzers, and beepers for just about everything, all unnecessary. While the world is going headlong into more and more automation, dinosaurs like us want more and more control for ourselves. It's our independence vs. the generation that loves having all their thinking done for them.

For hunting trucks I settled on a 92 Toyota 4x4. Wing windows, air conditioning/heater, power steering and brakes, fuel injection, clutch start cancel switch with a manual transmission. Added air lockers, lift and tires. Everything beyond these features for me is fluff or worse.

LOL
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kid0917
I remember when tires wore out after 10-12,000 miles.

Valve job by 45k

Rear crank seal leaking by 60k

Scared schidtless of motors with 90k

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yes, keeping a 12 can case of Liberty re-refined motor oil (paper cans) on hand to dump into various crankcases.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I found a '27 Nash once with ridiculously low miles that they probably thought was worn out. It'd been sitting under a tree in a cow pasture for a decade. Bought it, hooked it up to gas and a battery and cranked it right up, purred like a kitten.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just wait until the companies convince us all to buy electric driverless cars!

Jim

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
son in law just over to the house. wife's nissan 4x4 frontier or whatever the little truck is started leaking coolant. dealer found hole in aluminum line worn by the serpentine belt wearing against it. belt has only been to factory dealers, belt never replaced. we figured installed improperly during assembly, also needed hoses replaced as leaking. $1000 dollar bill to fix. merry christmas. oh, they had to order the parts out of california.
other nissan full size truck had transmission go back last weekend while elk hunting in some nasty country. that one is gonna be 4000 to fix.
told son in law we should have dragged up my 72fj40.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
son in law just over to the house. wife's nissan 4x4 frontier or whatever the little truck is started leaking coolant. dealer found hole in aluminum line worn by the serpentine belt wearing against it. belt has only been to factory dealers, belt never replaced. we figured installed improperly during assembly, also needed hoses replaced as leaking. $1000 dollar bill to fix. merry christmas. oh, they had to order the parts out of california.
other nissan full size truck had transmission go back last weekend while elk hunting in some nasty country. that one is gonna be 4000 to fix.
told son in law we should have dragged up my 72fj40.

Probably cheaper to pay the bill than try keep fuel up to the FJ.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by kenoh2
I started doing my own research before taking vehicles to the shop. There is usually a service bulletin, owner's forum discussion or youtube video for the exact issue. Print the documents/web address, inform the service manager and leave it in the car. This saved me several hundreds of dollars in the last couple years for repairs to my Malibu and the wife's Cruze.

Repairs might be a bit more technical but newer cars are much more reliable than anything from the carburetor era. I sure wouldn't want to go back to the days of pulling heads within 100k. Fuel savings alone make up for a lot of the cost of someone else working on my vehicles.

Don't try talking logic to a luddite.You will never wipe away the rose colored haze on the "good old days". laugh

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jerryv
I started doing my own research before taking vehicles to the shop. There is usually a service bulletin, owner's forum discussion or youtube video for the exact issue. Print the documents/web address, inform the service manager and leave it in the car. This saved me several hundreds of dollars in the last couple years for repairs to my Malibu and the wife's Cruze.

Repairs might be a bit more technical but newer cars are much more reliable than anything from the carburetor era. I sure wouldn't want to go back to the days of pulling heads within 100k. Fuel savings alone make up for a lot of the cost of someone else working on my vehicles.

Don't try talking logic to a luddite.You will never wipe away the rose colored haze on the "good old days". laugh

Jerry

Good use of the word luddite Jerry!

LOL
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Jerry

Be nice! I'd give my left nut to have my '69 340 Dart back... 🤣

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Jerry

Be nice! I'd give my left nut to have my '69 340 Dart back... 🤣

Which is fair as I would be good with giving your left nut to have my 2005 'cruiser back.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You're gonna have to get in line. My wife already lays claim to the left side...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Modern vehicles are essentially the same as older vehicles. Yes, we have seen advancements like EFI, DOHC, Direct Injection, traction control, anti-lock brakes, electronic ignitions, etc. But, as I see it, the problems we encounter with new vehicles can directly be attributed to government interference. EPA regulations have nearly ruined the automotive industry. EPA mileage standards have resulted in much lighter vehicles (which are not nearly as crash-worthy as they once were) as manufacturers try to meet ever increasing, ridiculous standards. My 1963 Studebaker was in a bad hail storm once, and suffered no damage at all due to its heavy steel panels, while many modern cars in the same hail storm were totaled. Additionally, and as many have lamented here and elsewhere, the EPA pollution standards have resulted in extremely expensive emission control equipment that is simply not reliable, stifles performance and requires idiotic, expensive additives that have very little shelf-life. Don’t even get me started on ethanol. Fortunately, modern diesel emission equipment can be fully deleted (EGR, DEF, DPF) in some states, and doing so will not only eliminate these emissions-related issues, but will increase both mileage and performance.

Modern electronics/ECMs also cause a lot of problems. Chasing down a check-engine light or some other electrical gremlin can be maddening and incredibly expensive. The very term “modern electronics” is an oxymoron. For being “modern” they sure do suck and they cause an inordinate number of problems, which may or may not outweigh the supposed benefits they provide, depending on your point-of-view.

Last edited by High_Noon; 12/14/18.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Modern vehicles are essentially the same as older vehicles. Yes, we have seen advancements like EFI, DOHC, Direct Injection, traction control, anti-lock brakes, electronic ignitions, etc. But, as I see it, the problems we encounter with new vehicles can directly be attributed to government interference. EPA regulations have nearly ruined the automotive industry. EPA mileage standards have resulted in much lighter vehicles (which are not nearly as crash-worthy as they once were) as manufacturers try to meet ever increasing, ridiculous standards. My 1963 Studebaker was in a bad hail storm once, and suffered no damage at all due to its heavy steel panels, while many modern cars in the same hail storm were totaled. Additionally, and as many have lamented here and elsewhere, the EPA pollution standards have resulted in extremely expensive emission control equipment that is simply not reliable, stifles performance and requires idiotic, expensive additives that have very little shelf-life. Don’t even get me started on ethanol. Fortunately, modern diesel emission equipment can be fully deleted (EGR, DEF, DPF) in some states, and doing so will not only eliminate these emissions-related issues, but will increase both mileage and performance.

Modern electronics/ECMs also cause a lot of problems. Chasing down a check-engine light or some other electrical gremlin can be maddening and incredibly expensive. The very term “modern electronics” is an oxymoron. For being “modern” they sure do suck and they cause an inordinate number of problems, which may or may not outweigh the supposed benefits they provide, depending on your point-of-view.

As crappy as some modern cars are, I would MUCH rather have a serious wreck in one, even a compact one, than the cars of yesteryear. Body panel thickness does not equate to occupant safety, in fact, sometimes quite the opposite. Crumple zones are there for a reason.............

Last edited by badger; 12/14/18.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
266,000 miles, 242,000 I put on myself with my 2009 Ford Focus. I have no complaints. The car before, a 2001 Saturn SL1, a small car, had a head on with a suv. I'm alive, they are alive. I sure wouldn't want to be driving a 1963 Ford Falcon in either case.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by badger

As crappy as some modern cars are, I would MUCH rather have a serious wreck in one, even a compact one, than the cars of yesteryear. Body panel thickness does not equate to occupant safety, in fact, sometimes quite the opposite. Crumple zones are there for a reason.............

You got it. Back in the old days it was common in a wreck for someone to go flying thru the front window. Getting their heart crushed by the steering wheel. Flying pieces of metal dash turning into daggers. The engine ending up in the front seat. The crumple zone was the occupants. The safety factor of todays cars is off the chart compared to those of the good old days.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It depends on how old you are talking about. I'd rather have a wreck in a 1994 Mercedes than a modern small to mid-sized vehicle. If you're talking about vehicles built in the 50's or 60's, then... yeah.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Mercedes and Volvo where ahead of the American makers by more than a little.

Originally Posted by Szumi
266,000 miles, 242,000 I put on myself with my 2009 Ford Focus. I have no complaints. The car before, a 2001 Saturn SL1, a small car, had a head on with a suv. I'm alive, they are alive. I sure wouldn't want to be driving a 1963 Ford Falcon in either case.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I hear what most of you are saying. It's just frustrating that I have to pay someone else to (hopefully) fix my vehicles when they crap out.

I've had a repair shop for close to 40yrs. I care nothing about getting my hands greasy and busting my knuckles. I'm happy to pay my guys to do it. And no, I care nothing about my plumbing, electrical, a/c repair. I know the good people that do it and let them. Paying the folks that I use is a pleasure.
You don't know how many come through our shop that people have spent money on and now need them fixed.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (16penny, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 51 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,827
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.